What's new

Happy Days: The Complete Series: The Ultimate Edition? (1 Viewer)

classictvfan91

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian Hayden
On the official Facebook page for Happy Days (from CBS Home Entertainment), there are several posts with "likes" about wanting a Complete Series set this year.
One of them said, "We need a DVD set with all seasons this year. That would be amazing. Until then CBS can sit on it."
That is where I got the idea that there were several fans who want the Complete Series this year.

keither222keith

Auditioning
Real Name
Keith Massey
They need to release a full series edition of Happy Days! Forget all this Netflix,and other online tv garbage! You cannot ad a download to a hard drive to your collection,sure it's saved to your PC or whatever but you cannot hold the package in your hands and say its yours. Not knocking people who choose that but don't leave people like myself out in the cold that prefer to have a materialistic copy instead of a download. I have purchased the first 4 seasons of Happy Days just to be told no more will be released,?! When you are a collector having 4 out of 10 of something is not collecting,there's no point in having any if you won't be able to get them all for a collection. Please!! Release Happy Days complete series set or at least continue releasing the rest of the series on DVD. And don't switch to cheap cases or jump to another design just because its cheaper. Thanks. Keith Massey.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
keither222keith said:
And don't switch to cheap cases or jump to another design just because its cheaper.
At this point, switching to a cheaper case or artwork design is the least of your worries. You'll be lucky to see additional seasons of this at all. Manufacture-on-Demand (DVD-R) is probably the only chance this show has left, as far as physical media goes).

Real Name
Ron Albanese
Paramount has really missed the boat on this one - I mean, they have missed a whole harbor full of boats, but especially with this show. Of course, there's the music ... but perhaps a nice mix of replacements (incidental tunes) and key songs in episodes would have worked. Since the show was fairly drastically retooled and the changes led the the massive success it was, Paramount should have defied convention and released seasons three, four, and five first. Sales and customer satisfaction would have been high - marketing could have even highlighted the key episodes in the set the everyone remembers so well. Instead, they dragged out the seasons that the general populace doesn't care about. Silly. Even now, they went to what? Season four? But consumers have lost the plot. Even I did, and I was a massive fan of this show. I want Superhero Fonzie episodes! I want shows where the actors can't even do their lines right away because the audience is cheering so much! I want the Malachi crunch, the shark jump, Pinky, Leather, etc.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I don't know what the general populace thinks, but the best seasons of Happy Days are the ones already out there. After about season 2 it starting a long and continual decline until it became all but unwatchable towards the end. And considering the entire jumping the shark deal that came out of this show, I don't think I'm too far away from the norm in my opinion's on it. At least Laverne & Shirley saw the Milwaukee years finished. That would've been a shame even though season 5 is a definite drop in quality compared to the first four with some lousy episodes like the two part train episode to Canada.

Real Name
Ron Albanese
Oh, I know there are people that really liked the first two seasons and it's more realistic depiction of the times, and its dramedy, but let's face it: Happy Days was a flat-out smash in its more "crazy" seasons ... a big pop culture phenomenon, as well! From ratings, to merchandise, and even armies of kids running around saying "aaaayyy!" and "sit on it" in the '70s it's undeniable.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
LeoAmes said:
I don't know what the general populace thinks, but the best seasons of Happy Days are the ones already out there. After about season 2 it starting a long and continual decline until it became all but unwatchable towards the end. And considering the entire jumping the shark deal that came out of this show, I don't think I'm too far away from the norm in my opinion's on it. At least Laverne & Shirley saw the Milwaukee years finished. That would've been a shame even though season 5 is a definite drop in quality compared to the first four with some lousy episodes like the two part train episode to Canada.
I agree. The first 2 seasons were great and they still put out a couple of the sillier seasons when it stopped being Happy Days and became the Fonzie Show. Beyond that, nothing to lose sleep over. By the way, what cracks me up is all of the people chirping about what they want. But then, just like with China Beach, if they do get it and it costs more than $15, they start crying and saying, I'm not paying that much. Yeah, talk is cheap and if they ever put out a full series it would cost several hundred dollars at least. Everyone wants these things sooooo bad, except if when it comes time to dip into their pockets and then its "have to wait for Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny or Elvis' birthday.

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Neil Brock said:
I agree. The first 2 seasons were great and they still put out a couple of the sillier seasons when it stopped being Happy Days and became the Fonzie Show. Beyond that, nothing to lose sleep over.
THE HENRY WRINKLER SHOW??? ROFL!!!! I think not! Even Henry Wrinkler said that he wasn't the star of Garry Marshall's smash hit 74-84 sitcom (at least during the Ronny Howard years) as that title belonged to either Ronny Howard or Tom Bosely. In my view, the show became more recognizable as "Happy Days" at the start of the third season. There should have been a subtitle for the first two seasons as they were quite different from the rest of the seasons. Subtitles that could possibly work ... "Life in the 50s", "The Ronny Howard Show", "That 50s Program", "50s Days", "Leave it to Richie", "Life with Richie", "The Adventures of Richie Cunningham", "Growing Up in the 50s", "Richie Cunningham, Adolescence", "Lives of the Adolescence", "Boys II Men", "Wild & Free", "Living a Richful Life", "It's a Teenager's Life", ect. ...... and just for fun: "Opie's Happy Days", "Opie, Who?", "Opie, Is That You?", "The Teenaged Opie of Mayberry", "Andy's Not-So-Innocent Opie", "Opie Doesn't Exist Anymore", "Exit Opie, Enter Richie", "It's Not So Mayberry", "Opie: From Boy To Man", "A 60s Kid in the 70s living in a life in the 50s", "Meet My Two Daddies: Andy and Howard", "Opie's Double Life", "Opie's New & Wild Life", "Opie's Newfound Freedom", "Opie, the Sex-Crazed Ladies Man", "Opie: Rural Hick to City Slicker", "Country Boy in the City", "The Transformed Opie", "The New Opie", "Richie: Lost Son of Andy", "Opie: Adopted Son of Howard", "Op is Rich", "Hi, I'm Opie, But My Name Is Richie", "Richie: No Longer Opie", "Opie's Lively Dreams", "Opie in Surreal Land", "Opie, This Is Your Future", "Richie, The Op Lives in You", "Richie: The Opie Valentino", ect. .

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Neil Brock said:
I can tell you why. A couple of years ago I transferred over my season 5 episodes from my off-air VHS records. The Valentine's episode - all music. The entire show is a musical. If the music was cut, about 90 seconds would be left. The Suzi Quatro as Leather Tuscadero episodes - at least 10-12 minutes of music in each episode. There is no way CBS can put this season out without either leaving episodes out or charging an exorbitant price.
Ok, so either the Quatro music has been cleared or these episodes will be left out completely.
Fingers crossed future season sets will be as complete as possible. If I have to lose an episode to music rights.....so be it.

Count me in the group that truly believes that Happy Days "Jumped The Shark", but went back to a decent series toward the end of its run.
But even the terrible episodes are fun to revisit. I'm surprised they didn't just give Fonzie a Superman costume with a giant F on the chest :D

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
Polka Dot Ron Albanese said:
and even armies of kids running around saying "aaaayyy!" and "sit on it" in the '70s it's undeniable.
oh my gosh, i guess i was one of those kids. i still recall my shirt with the hands and thumbs up - on the back and the front it had aaayy and sit on it - i dont recall which one had which !!

i was a college kid by that time. but people did indeed do that by the droves.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
This show was destination TV for years. And all that screaming from the audience started to turn me off, personally. I felt it had served its purpose in my life by season 4. I very rarely watched it afterwards, and noticed that only pre-teen chicks were still tuning in.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
There are lots of shows that continue on long after they should and quality has left. Happy Days was just one of many. I never really watched after Ron Howard left but I can imagine how bad it must have gotten. Networks will squeeze every last ounce of ratings out of a show, regardless of how much it goes downhill. As long as people keep watching.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
TV series that lasted far too long could be a thread in its own right, for sure. (anyone else remember the old website "Jump The Shark"? Man, that was a fun website!! Then TV GUide bought it and closed it down. )

I figured HD was done when they finally put the never seen character of Jenny Pickalow on screen.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Yeah...TV shows always risk it when they introduce an unseen character. Joanie always made Jenny out to be a complete moron. But when finally introduced, she turned out to be a mere half-wit, this disappointing the audience greatly.

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Fabiano
bretmaverick2 said:
TV series that lasted far too long could be a thread in its own right, for sure. (anyone else remember the old website "Jump The Shark"? Man, that was a fun website!! Then TV GUide bought it and closed it down. )

I figured HD was done when they finally put the never seen character of Jenny Pickalow on screen.
Check out the site Boned the Fish if you want to see an attempt at a JTS site revival.

Yes, was Unseen Becomes Seen one of the major categories on JTS? Because you have Jenny, then you have Skunky Beaumont on Doug (one of the many things wrong with the Disney version). I'm sure there's more.

Someone mentioned the "We'll be right back" bumpers...I remember one or two getting through on the then-WLIG's Laverne and Shirley reruns ("Hi, this is Shirley. Me and Laverne will be right back!") I wonder if anyone had a compilation of such bumpers online?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks