1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Hannibal Rising- Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Josh.C, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Josh.C

Josh.C Well-Known Member

I'm interested to get your takes on this film opening this Friday.

I haven't heard much buzz on the movie, but the trailer looks pretty good and I'm a fan of the series.

I loved Silence of the Lambs and Red Dragon, but didn't care much for Hannibal.

Anyone else planning on seeing this movie?

JC

2. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Well-Known Member

I rushed out and bought the book at Barnes & Noble literally when they opened, finished it in a couple hours and even though I wasn't expecting much after "Hannibal" I was taken aback by how truly awful the book was.

By all accounts the movie is incredibly "faithful to the book" which is a result of the fact that the book and screenplay were simultaneously written by Thomas Harris so I can't imagine how the movie would be anything but the complete disaster that the book was.

Of course, I'll see it, I'm the guy that owns all 4 cuts of "Manhunter" on DVD even though I don't really even like the movie all that much (which also means I'll almost definitely be buying the DVD to complete my Lecter collection, it's sad) but I don't know if my expectations have ever been any lower for any film in my entire life.

To me it looks like another "Hannibal". It appears to be well-acted and directed, it seems to be technically competent in areas such as production design, cinematography, etc. (and I'm assuming the editing and score are well-done as well) but that all of that is built upon an absolutely disgraceful novel/screenplay which completely outweighs said positive technical attributes.

3. JonZ

JonZ Well-Known Member

4. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Well-Known Member

Saw it last night and enjoyed it. Although there is not all that much depth.

AS I watched I couldn't shake similarities I felt to Batman Begins. This could be the story of Bruce Wayne if he took a different direction...

5. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Well-Known Member

I thought it was slickly made but kind of dull. Despite the element of cannibalism in the story, it didn't feel like there was much of a connection between this young version of Hannibal and the guy you see in the Anthony Hopkins movies.

6. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Well-Known Member

Bingo! And the Batman Begins comparisons are dead-on as well, though that flick is about 100X better than this stinker. I thought this was nothing more than a cheap vigilante revenge movie wrapped up in Hannibal garb. How could such a potentially fascinating story be made into something so dull and idiotic? There was so much they could have done with young Lecter but they blew it and made a by-the-numbers revenge fantasy.

There's nothing good about this movie...

7. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Well-Known Member

I think that the fact that there are only five postings in this thread as of Sunday afternoon speaks volumes about the box-office potential of this film...

8. Josh.C

Josh.C Well-Known Member

Yes, which is why I started it. I have had mixed feelings about going, and now, I'm leaning towards "Renter".

It's a crying shame because The Silence of the Lams is close to being on my top 10 of all time. And the series had so much potential.

Oh well, I'm sure I will rent it and give it a chance. I think I'd rather save my theater funds for Bridge to Terabithia this Friday.

JC