1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Hanna Barbera- Funky Phantom

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by gordoncolt, Jul 29, 2012.

1. gordoncolt

gordoncolt Active Member

I got the Funky Phantom set and am disappointed to find the episodes are cut 22 minute versions.

2. Regulus

Regulus Well-Known Member

William Hughes
    Saturday Morning Cartoons tended to have more commercials than other shows, which is why the FCC placed a cap of 12 minutes per hour on children's shows.
    Too bad they cannot do this for ALL TV Shows! :f

3. younger1968

younger1968 Well-Known Member

paul young
    Unfortunately, i think that is going to be case for many of the classic hanna-barbera shows. I have over 40 HB cartoons and love them, but it is not the same as being a kid. I remember waking up at 730 am eating my bowl of ceral (TRIX, Fruit Loops, Captain Crunch, etc) and watching the shows. I am glad that i can just popped in the dvd and watch them without any interruption. I am curious to see what will be released next. I am guessing that from the 1970s set the following should be coming out shortly
    1. New Adventures of Gilligan
    2. Roman Hollidays
    I like to hear the status on the following:
    1. Skatebirds
    2. Banana Splits
    3. Gulliver

4. gordoncolt

gordoncolt Active Member

It looks like the Amazing Chan and the Chan Clan episodes are 20 minutes long.That is according to box total run time.

5. Tom M

Tom M Well-Known Member

Exactly. Saturday morning shows in the 1970's and 1980's typically ran 22 minutes long. I still have Betamax tapes of first time airings of some shows which confirm this.
    Also, a cap WAS placed on all prime time shows sometime in the mid-1990's. No network can air more than 16 minutes of commericals per show per hour without being fined. Hence why 60 minute shows are "locked" into a 42-44 minute running time without commericals. Without that cap, we would likely be looking at 40 minute long shows (without commericals) or shorter these days!

6. Greg Chenoweth

Greg Chenoweth Well-Known Member

The way networks now get around that cap is by airing a lot of promos during the shows to keep the show running times low. The lower the minutes of shooting on set keeps the budget down. A lot of shows now do run about 40 minutes. It is ludicrous. Perry Mason had about 52-54 minutes of show time but not CSI.

7. derosa

derosa Well-Known Member

Scooby Doo ran over 24 mins in 1977, and then in 1978 was only 22:30.