What's new

Hanna-Barbera cartoons are way overpriced! (1 Viewer)

Mark Lx

Second Unit
There are many series in which I'm kinda interested, and price is the deciding factor. All In The Family 2 I bought, Flintstones I didn't. I enjoy watching the episodes, but could happily watch/do something else. I'll take a inexpensive/no frills set anyday, as long as they're uncut. I think the Three's Company Season 2 set is a perfect release.

Mark Lx

Second Unit
Everything should come out in 2 versions. (A) The expensive packed to gills with extras, commentaries on every episode, collectors edition (with scratch and sniff leaf flaps) for those who want to know what James Doohan looks like at 100 and get all the inside info on the show (isn't what the internet's for), and (B) a simple clean, uncut episodes version for actual fans of the show itself.
I know I'll never buy Star Trek TOS because of price, even though they'd be quick happy to sell it to me for half price rather than not at all. That's their marketing gamble. This would solve that problem.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
I only buy what I love if it's an expensive set or not. I make sure to plan ahead. I always make sure I have cash. If I dont, I wait until I do.

I dont build a collection just for the sake of it. I have heard many around here say things like:

"I didnt even like the movie, I just wanted it to build my collection or it has many extras".

I then ask, oh, were the extras cool?

Their response.

"I didnt watch them, I just liked them because there were alot"

Huh???

Not me. I have some inexpensive sets. I also have my share of expensive sets. The point is it's things I really like. So, if I pay for a set I love every now and then, it's not really an issue with me.

It's sort of like collectibles.

I would rather have one really nice piece that I just loved than 10 pieces I just didnt care for.

Hope that makes sense.

ScottRichard

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
That makes sense Ryan! I really don't get upset over prices. If I really love a show, I'm pretty much going to buy it no matter what. I've also learned a lot from this forum and others about the different factors involved in putting different shows out. The way I look it, even if a set costs say $100 for 22 episodes of a tv series, that's the equivalent of at least 11 movies. Even if you could buy 11 movies that you love for as little as $10 apiece, you'd still be paying even more than $100.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
FWIW, today I begrudgingly spent $48.95 at Wal-Mart for JQ, but passed on The Jetsons. I'd have gotten both if they were $35.

...just as I had bought The Flintstones but not Scooby, but would have if...

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Unless it's the Simpsons, my C.C. hardly ever has TV material stocked on release day and if so, it's very few copies. Good thing there is a B.B. down the street. I price matched, everything worked out fine and C.C. lost a sale.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
I have to agree that the H-B releases are a bit too much in the price area. What ever happened to "priced to sell" ? I usually buy my TV-season sets second-hand, that way I get what I want at a much reduced price...

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

Sadly, many people will probably start going this route unless the studios start releasing these titles at "Priced to sell" prices. I'm sure many of the used DVDs found on ebay are original DVDs that people have bought, made copies of for themselves, then resell the originals. Though this may be piracy, it sure is a godsend for those, who in turn, buy the originals from these people at lower prices. Perhaps when the studios finally begin to see the light, then greed will stop at their end, and the price of DVD sets will come down. Movies and TV shows on DVD sales may go the route of CDs unless the prices drop and become more consumer friendly. It's just a matter of time before consumers catch on and decide to go the ebay route instead of paying through the nose for original releases.

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
Going the EBay or Half.com route isn't the end of humanity as we know it.

I personally think these sets are over priced and should be between $30-$35 which is about $5-$10 more than what it is selling for right now. If it is any lower than $30, they are shooting themselves in the foot. I'd like to get it new and I still may from CC, but if I can't, it isn't really the end of the world.

A new movie costs about $20 and you aren't getting ten hours of entertainment from it so I still think it is a good value.

Paul

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
One thing I'd like to add on this, I think they are going to have an awfully hard time selling Wacky Races & Top Cat at the current prices since they aren't as big of a brand as Flintstones, Scooby Doo, or Jonny Quest.

I want to see the less known titles come out, but I just don't think it will work at the prices of the bigger name HB cartoons.

Paul

david_slater

Stunt Coordinator
i dont worry about price.
all i care about is... i want it now!
and in Seasons sets that are in order.
i hate waiting. and i want a store i can count on.
amazon.com is good at that. :emoji_thumbsup:

david_slater

Stunt Coordinator
ps...
people like you are going to make them stop releaseing shows.
why you see them on ebay is people are copying them then selling there's to get there money back.
the world is full of scrooges if you ask me.
the prices are more then fair to me.

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
I don't really care what people do with the DVDs before I get them as long as the DVDs are in good condtion.

I wouldn't mind paying full prices, but this month I have the Marx Brothers Collection, Abbott & Costello Volume 2, and the Walt Disney Treasures so unless I look for the best deal out there, I'm going to have to wait for a dead DVD month and I'd rather not.

BTW, I was watching A Night in Casablanca on DVD and the voice of George Jetson appeared in a short called "So You Think Your A Nervous Wreck."

Paul

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
david slater, I'd think exactly as you do... if I was a millionaire. Face the facts, buddy, we aren't all as loaded as you apparently are. Like Paul, I don't give a damn if someone copied the DVD before they sold it to me, as long as I am getting an authentic DVD. And there is no way to tell if a used DVD you are buying on e-bay has been copied by the owner for his/her personal use (short of asking them, that is -- but the chances of them fessing up to that are not likely at all).

david_slater

Stunt Coordinator
i live on $600 a month. that sounds like a millionaire to you? :laugh:
i buy dvd's every week. its just a matter of saveing up.
i start a year ahead of time. so most of the time ill have the money. i dont wast money on on dateing or drinking and partying. all i care about is my shows and my computer and im happy. :emoji_thumbsup: :D
its not hard ... just planing ahead.

david_slater

Stunt Coordinator
ps...
there is nothing wrong with price shoping.
im more worryed about good service and fast shipping.
so i do all my shoping at amazon.com.
iv tryed all kinds of places and they seem to have everyone beat. there is no stores here where i live so i do all my shoping online. from time to time i also buy from outpost.com or dvdempire.com.
oh and amazon is vary good on haveing shows up for pre-order.
i have shows pre-order as far as a year ahead of time.
you should see my list... :laugh:

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
BTW, I finally got the Jetsons set through DeepDiscountDVD after they price dropped it to $34.89 to match the CC price which is actually $2 cheaper since DDD doesn't charge tax.

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks