1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Hands On" Review of the Sony BDP-S570 3D Blu-ray Player

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Ronald Epstein, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Our friends over at HighDefDiscNews have just posted their
    review of the Sony BDP-S570 3D Blu-ray player.

You can read their review here.

2. Scott Merryfield

Supporter

Thanks for the link, Ron. I do find their wording odd regarding load times. They state that the S570 "trounces" the old S350 in this category, yet their data was:

BDP-S570
    Michael Clayton: 51 seconds
    Baraka: 33 seconds
    Cloverfield: 38 seconds BDP-S350
    Michael Clayton: 1 minute 7 seconds
    Baraka: 45 seconds
    Cloverfield: 1 minute 2 seconds

I only see one of three instances where the load time was significantly better. Certainly not worth the cost of an upgrade if the other features -- promise of 3D, wireless and SACD playback -- are not needed.

3. Pete Lee

Pete Lee Stunt Coordinator

% by which the S570 load time is faster than the S350:

Michael Clayton - 31%
    Baraka - 36%
    Cloverfield - 63%

I have no hesitation agreeing that a minimum 30+ percent advantage in load time could fairly be characterized as "trouncing" the alternative. As for whether those faster times, even if they hold across the board which is of course no guarantee, are worth paying more, well, that's an entirely different question.

I looked at this player in the store and was stunned by its cut-rate build quality even in light of its relatively low price. I initially thought the buttons on the faceplate of the player had been snapped off while it was on display. It took me a few seconds to realize the tiny, nubby buttons were supposed to look like that. I expected better.