What's new

HAMMER FILM BLU-RAYS IN THE U.K. ... getting closer to the Holy Grail (DRACULA, 1958)... (1 Viewer)

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
In no way am I putting words in Robert Harris's mouth but speaking from my understanding of past observations, when Mr. Harris doesn't respond (particularly when he has expressed an interest in a release) I take it to mean "if you can't say something nice then don't say anything" :)

I may of course be wrong in which case I stand corrected!

Regards,

kinzoels

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
bill lettang
In no way am I putting words in Robert Harris's mouth but speaking from my understanding of past observations, when Mr. Harris doesn't respond (particularly when he has expressed an interest in a release) I take it to mean "if you can't say something nice then don't say anything" :) I may of course be wrong in which case I stand corrected! Regards,
Hello SAhmed: A very respectful thought on your part, but Mr.Harris has made his thoughts quite known regarding the Blu Ray Sparatcus, which is essentiallly, take it off the market! In fairness, this could be because of the extensive restoration work he did on the film, but he's not adverse to speaking his mind. With more and more viewings of DRACULA I continue to find things that bug me...I tried watching it "up close" and I don't mean 2 feet away, as you would expect to be able to do witih a restored blu ray presentation and couldn't help notice the amazing ammount of grain "movement". So I went back to watching further back. I also did a frame by frame analysis of the ending and found obvious pin holes" in the print,which makes me ask how much restoration was actually done. Lastly, I don't so much have any trouble with the color grading except for the scene of Minas face at the top of the stairs and in the bedroom...what I do have a problem with is the blu rays contrast changes on a scene by scene basis. It changes dramatically, and dosn't "hang together" as well as it could..just my thoughts...I'd like to hear other peoples thoughts on this grain point

John-Weller

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
I'm actually largely content with the colour timing on the transfer. It's much darker than usual but it's not been tealed or anything, and it's far superior to the Warner DVD. However, I'd be interested in seeing Warner have another crack at it for a Blu-Ray.

The extras on this set are superb. Great commentary, documentary on the film, featurettes on the censorship and the restoration, and a lovely Christopher Frayling interview/essay.

The Japanese reels included are very interesting to see. I have no idea if they are technicolor or Eastmancolor, but they show a colour scheme partway between the Warner DVD and this BD, which suggest the happy medium.

kinzoels

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
bill lettang
well, and with respect, Mr. Harris has had almost 4 years to comment on this film's Blu Ray...

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
well, and with respect, Mr. Harris has had almost 4 years to comment on this film's Blu Ray...

Mr. Harris is under no obligation to comment on any Blu-ray disc. He is free to choose on which discs he will give his opinion. He has never promised to evaluate every disc that is ever released.

kinzoels

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
bill lettang
Well sir, just so happens Mr. Harris offered his assistance to Hammer (which they foolishly turned down) during the mastering process which tells me he was interested indeed, and was in fact very fond of this film so cool it with the education

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Well sir, just so happens Mr. Harris offered his assistance to Hammer (which they foolishly turned down) during the mastering process which tells me he was interested indeed, and was in fact very fond of this film so cool it with the education

If that is true, it would be a very good reason for Mr. Harris not wishing to give an opinion.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Ha, I'm sure I put my oar in about the UK disc early on in this thread, I don't like it, it's too blue/cold, if the eventual Warner release is the same, then I just won't buy it, & move on, there's plenty of great looking Blu-rays to look at.

kinzoels

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
bill lettang
If that is true, it would be a very good reason for Mr. Harris not wishing to give an opinion.
Well I'm going to keep trying to get one, and who knows, If Warner's stops dragging their feet and delivers us a release this film deserves, then I'll stop asking for opinions from the pros.....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks