What's new

HAMMER FILM BLU-RAYS IN THE U.K. ... getting closer to the Holy Grail (DRACULA, 1958)... (1 Viewer)

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Reed Grele said:
How is their track record on quality? Now that I've been spoiled with the latest DRACULA transfer, I'd demand that BRIDES of DRACULA, and EVIL of FRANKENSTEIN to be nothing less than stunning.
I *think* these are their first BD releases; no reports of any SD disasters, but I don't own any of their titles personally - they released Curse of The Werewolf on DVD a couple of times, but I own the R1 disc. I'll quote from a poster at CHFB:
Have just spoken with Final Cut Entertainment, and the HD masters for Brides Of Dracula and Evil Of Frankenstein have just arrived in their offices from Universal this morning - these releases are DEFINITELY planned as BR/Dvd 'double-plays'. They're also in the process of creating some new extras for them.At this point (obviously), the masters have still to be checked over for quality, aspect ratio and framing etc - but I've alerted them to the differences between the excellent R1 Dvd of Brides from 2005 (the original master of which has since been destroyed in a fire, unfortunately) - and the dark, poorly framed print that appeared on the US TCM channel back in October 2010.At this stage, it's not clear if the film has since undergone a further remastering; The Kiss Of The Vampire, which FCE released on Dvd last year, was clearly from a newer master, superior to the R1 version.

kinzoels

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
bill lettang
hello John Hodson.....well J.H., have you seen (or own) the bluray Dracula? I so look forward to your comments. on this.....Does it live up to the BFI showing you saw in 2007? etc......thanks, B.L.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Bill, I don't own it yet, but I have seen it - this is what I said on another forum a while back:
Certain fora are still accusing the BFI of mishandling this, even pandering to modern mores on the overall look. I'm afraid it's absolute garbage; I've had a quick peek and what I'm seeing thus far does (as far as my goldfish memory will allow) reflect what I saw in '07. I was delighted then and I see no reason to change that view.The Warner DVD is a coaster; even Warner realises that...

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
You know what's funny now that several of us have gotten the word out? All the people playing the screen cap game have gone off into the good night - not a peep out of them. As always.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Here is a scan from an original 1958 dye-transfer Technicolor 35mm print.
3913587fe599633828b1302e4a179a92a74dcdc_r_zpsb3dd9ecf.jpg

This is for color reference only. The gamma of a Technicolor print is different than what the scanner is calibrated for, so highlights may seem too high and shadows may seem too low.

More examples are coming soon...

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
No, it is not - watch the MOVIE on Blu-ray - that shot looks nothing like that cap - sorry. Bob, you're doing no one any favors by using these sorry caps from the Internet - they do not resemble what is on the Blu-ray at ALL. What I'm saying is Jack is just grabbing the caps and they were horribly done and not at all correct so this comparison is meaningless. The joke is, if you watch the blu-ray, the color timing of that shot is very close to the IB print. The End. And I think you know I have nothing but the utmost respect for all that you and Jack do.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Bob,

Having watched the new U.K. bd transfer twice (the second time with 2 additional HTF members present) no one has noticed any problems such as the scan on the right suggests.

I don't understand why you posted this comparison. Are you inferring that the new Blu-ray has incorrect color timing?

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I haven't seen the Blu-ray and was not aware the image was innacurate. I've removed it from my original post.

Thanks for the heads up.

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
I have the Blu and it doesn't look like your cap of the 1958 dye-transfer Technicolor 35mm print. But I think it's because this particular moment is mashed from the japanese print on the new version, and the limitations of it forced them to alter highlights and contrasts, so that it blends better with the new footage.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
haineshisway said:
No, it is not - watch the MOVIE on Blu-ray - that shot looks nothing like that cap - sorry. Bob, you're doing no one any favors by using these sorry caps from the Internet - they do not resemble what is on the Blu-ray at ALL. What I'm saying is Jack is just grabbing the caps and they were horribly done and not at all correct so this comparison is meaningless. The joke is, if you watch the blu-ray, the color timing of that shot is very close to the IB print. The End. And I think you know I have nothing but the utmost respect for all that you and Jack do.

I watched the blu-ray, even did a review of it, that cap that was on the right looked NOTHING like what I saw on my blu-ray. All those "too dark" caps do not represent the blu-ray in any way shape or form.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Bob Furmanek said:
I haven't seen the Blu-ray and was not aware the image was innacurate. I've removed it from my original post.

Thanks for the heads up.
I've been studying the blu-ray. The image on the right was not an exact match but it is accurate. It is accurate. It is accurate. Put it back up.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Richard--W said:
I've been studying the blu-ray. The image on the right was not an exact match but it is accurate. It is accurate. It is accurate. Put it back up.
Look, man, I don't know what you're looking at. That image was NOT accurate!

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Only a handful of fanatics fail to realize that the BFI transfer is too soft and too dim in its entirety. There are contrast / brightness issues throughout. There is also evidence of color manipulation, like the blood that turns bright purple in the transfusion bottle. It was always dark red blood in every 35mm projection I saw over the years.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
marcco00 said:
to my eyes, this new release is darker and bluer than the WB transfer.

i still recommend it highly.
Your eyes are correct - the Warners DVD is about ten stops too light and it is faded. The new Blu is correct.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Richard--W said:
Will the moderators please instruct "haineshisway" to stop making personal attacks. Since I never address him personally, there is no justification for him attacking me personally. He and his echo have already bullied several members off this thread. Make him stop.

Only a handful of fanatics fail to realize that the BFI transfer is too soft and too dim in its entirety. There are contrast / brightness issues throughout. There is also evidence of color manipulation, like the blood that turns bright purple in the transfusion bottle. It was always dark red blood in every 35mm projection I saw over the years.
You continually say I "attack" you - I referenced you, but referencing is not attacking. If you want to see "attacks" one only need look at your responses to me in those threads you mention. Back to the topic at hand - there is no shot in this transfer that is either too blue or too dark, IMO.

marcco00

Supporting Actor
Real Name
marc
haineshisway said:
Your eyes are correct - the Warners DVD is about ten stops too light and it is faded. The new Blu is correct.
well thanx for approving my eyesight! :D

but i did not say that this new transfer is "correct", just that it is darker and bluer.

IMHO, i think it was the personal choice of the BFI restoration team to tilt this transfer to a bluer tone.... even the color timing in the raw japanese footage was closer to the WB transfer..... in the documentary they say they had to change the colors to insert it into the BFI film.

it suits the subject matter & works for the film in this 2013 transfer......but did audiences see this on the big screen in 1958?

to me the WB transfer colors look closer to the other hammer films of the period- the mummy, hound of the baskervilles, bridesof dracula, etc.

just my opinion--- respectfully

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks