1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Halo: PC Version - views and comments

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Bob McElfresh, Oct 2, 2003.

1. Max Leung

Max Leung Well-Known Member

2. Kieran Coghlan

Kieran Coghlan Well-Known Member

That's it... I need to get an nForce mobo. I *just* got my current motherboard not too long ago, too... didn't know about nForce at the time. :-(

I hate dumping good hardware so quickly... but Halo, and Unreal 2003 in DD5.1 is SOOO tempting! If Splinter Cell and Ghost Recon were in DD5.1 too, I'd be sold for sure.

3. Scott L

Scott L Well-Known Member

Yea DD goes to 48kHz but doesn't most all PC audio operate on the same frequency? Only thing that's still 44.1 is music. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also with analog output you get nifty features like HD audio. I'd like to do a DD vs analog comparison of videogames like Halo myself.

4. John_Berger

John_Berger Well-Known Member

5. Scott L

John, you put what I was thiking into words perfectly. [​IMG] DD isn't a magical codec that will transform audio into a realistic gaming experience. That is the hardware's job with the use of EAX, Soundstorm, Circle Surround, etc.. Getting audio from the analog outs would be the purest form imo.

Game -> EAX encoded audio -> 48kHz analog out to receiver -> 5.1 sound

or

Game -> SS encoded audio -> DD encoding -> 48kHz digital out to receiver -> DD decoding -> 5.1 sound

Dolby Digital just ads one extra compressed step for the sake of having one digital cable opposed to 6 analog cables. If you don't wanna fool with the hassle of 6 cables then more power to you, but don't think it's automatically better quality because you see the Dolby Digital 640k light on your receiver.

6. John_Berger

7. Kieran Coghlan

Well, not to put an even finer point on it, but I never said that the gaming experience was incomplete w/o dd5.1. Quote me if I did! I just said that *I* wanted it. I didn't imply that anyone else should be less than satisfied with anything less than dd5.1. Heck I only moved to surround sound on my PC about 2 months ago anyway (upgraded my HT speakers, and moved my old HT speakers to the PC! [​IMG] )

8. John_Berger

9. Kieran Coghlan

Thanks for your input, John. Based on your experience in 800x600, I'm going to pick up Halo and give it a shot! [​IMG]

10. Kieran Coghlan

11. Max Leung

John, your Ghost Recon and other older games supporting 4.1 is a great point. And it gets even better with the Soundstorm (and the audigy?) solutions because these games use the standard DirectSound3D API calls, and will sound even BETTER (compatibility problems aside..hehe).

Ancient games like Unreal Tournament sound great on my nforce machine: DD5.1 encoded in real-time, with the center channel activated by the Soundstorm driver.

IMHO, people will be very hard pressed to tell the difference between DD5.1 or using analog cables. Especially when you're gaming. [​IMG] Sure, you "lose" information when "compressing" to digital - but what you lose doesn't matter in the slightest because the recording engineers know that the human ear has difficulty hearing anything about 18KHz anyways. Anyone feel pity for people with the "golden" ears? I sure don't! [​IMG]

I think it is more important to have high quality DACs than overkill frequencies like 96Khz...I find aliasing/upsampling/downsampling problems more disturbing to my ears than anything else. Thankfully, the nForce doesn't have this problem (unlike the horrid sampling used by the Soundblaster Live...shudder).

Besides, I'd rather have my SACD/DVD-Audio player using the analog inputs of my receiver than wasting the inputs for a PC game! [​IMG]

12. John_Berger

13. John_Berger

14. Scott L

Max simply pointing out that DD isn't any better than EAX. You said you "pitied" those Soundblaster people who didn't have Dolby Digital for games, which didn't make sense to me. The Soundblaster people have better hardware and can get better sound, both in games (up to 7.1 if their setup supports it) and with music (DVD-A). Just putting down the myth that DD does wonders for games.

nForce2 is grrrreat, just not the *best* choice for games.

15. Kieran Coghlan

John,

16. Max Leung

17. Max Leung

Whoops, weren't we talking about Halo? :b

Any thoughts on that new-fangled gun that you can use in multiplayer? The one that the Hunters use?

18. Scott L

Ok so it went from pitying to equality. I'll take that. [​IMG]

19. Max Leung

Well, I pity those with the Soundblaster Live! still. The CPU usage must be horrendous! [​IMG] Oh and when I listen to a Soundblaster Live! upsample 44.1Khz to 48 Khz, I cringe in horror.

I don't pity the Audigy users, although I do weep for their bank accounts! [​IMG]

20. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Well-Known Member