What's new

Halo announced for PC/Mac (1 Viewer)

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Summer 2003?! I hope MS doesn't plan to sell a whole lot of copies of this.
They plan to sell enough and then move onto Halo 2;). Its the perfect release date for the PC/Mac version of the game. In the summer of 2003 news, screens and info on Halo 2 will be rampant, the game will be a few months from release and X-box Halo sales will have been maximized. Makes sense.
Good news though, I'll be picking up the PC version of the game without a doubt.
Edit:
Gamespot announcement on this:
Halo PC

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Isn't the PC version supposed to be different from the console version? I think I heard that somewhere.

Kami

Screenwriter
A YEAR to port it to PC? now that's ridiculous...the xbox is basically a PC, it should not take that long to port it :rolleyes:On top of that, Halo was originally being developed for the PC for a couple years at least, then microsoft bought out bungie and decided to make Halo an xbox exclusive.
Halo will be very dated in a year unless they make some MAJOR graphical improvements, and maybe some different gameplay modes.
"Our goal is for Mac and Windows users to battle each other on foot, in vehicles, and in the air next summer when the best first-person shooter ever created comes to both Macintosh and Windows," according to Destineer President Peter Tamte.
:laugh: PR at its best! Doom and Quake wipe the floor with Halo any day :)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Actually, wasn't Halo originally being developed for Mac, then MS bought Bungie and made them bring it to the PC and eventually the X-Box?

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Actually, wasn't Halo originally being developed for Mac, then MS bought Bungie and made them bring it to the PC and eventually the X-Box?
Mac, then Mac/PC, then bought by Microsoft, at which point the XBox was made the priority.

Rusty Ray

Second Unit
wow.. that's a long time to wait but i am sure it will be worth it. They just want to maximize xbox system sales... (hey, it almost worked for me!)

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm, Bungie isn't porting the game themselves. Ack. I sincerely hope they've been working on Halo 2 all this time, and not sitting on their asses or chasing women after all this time!

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Personally, I'm glad there's going to be such a long wait. The PC crowd needs another great FPS like Tiger Woods needs another $1000. I'm hoping Halo sells a lot more Xboxes between now and then.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
2003! Ha! Almost 2 years to go from XBOX to PC (Isn't XBOX already Direct-X 8 powered?). I just hope that the PC version is compatable with HALO 2/HALO Online multiplayer :) I really can't imagine HALO on PC though... it just really FEELS like a console game to me for some reason. Plus, me and my friends have played Co-op for probably over 20 hours (I don't think it would work on the PC)... if the PC loses that feature, that is like losing half the fun!

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The whole idea of a console is that a game is made for a set hardware and that it will take full advantage of that hardware. With PCs, its a little different since each one is different, so they have to choose a lowest common denominator and then build the game to be optimized for that.

I'm sure you all knew that. I'm just pointing that out as the most probable reason for the Halo PC delays (either that or MS wants a big gap between Halo XB and Halo PC).

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
A YEAR to port it to PC? now that's ridiculous...the xbox is basically a PC, it should not take that long to port it
I doubt it's that it's a long time just to port it. I'd wager that the reason for the long delay is that right now Halo is the only game proven to sell Xboxen. Microsoft was never going to undercut that by making Halo available anywhere else until the sales of the Xbox version were tapped out, which they will be soon. And by the time it does come out for the PCs, Halo 2 will be on the horizon for Xbox and PC gamers will have another long wait to look forward to :)

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I can't believe it'll be a full more year! Ridiculous. I'll be playing doom 3 by then and Halo will barely be a blip on the radar. Bungie sure did alienate their fans by going to the xbox, and they even said they wouldn't do that. And wouldn't get caught up in it and would retain their individuality. Bah...well done Bungie I hope the money they got up front was worth it.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
When someone else owns you, its kinda hard to keep promises that go against your owners wishes.

If Halo PC/Mac is going to be online, then the porting of the game and the added online aspects are probably two things that are taking so long to port it over. They probably also have a very small group porting it, seeing as how its not exactly top-priority right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks