What's new

half way decent surround sound (1 Viewer)

scottmiller

Auditioning
Real Name
scott miller
Could any give some advice on a setup for around $500. I currently have a Sony 5.1 surround speakers that is for a lack of better words "CRAP" (i could use others but it may be frowned upon). Like I said I only want to spend around $500 and I was looking at the Klipsch Quintet III, or maybe something from Polk.

I know to some audiophiles here would say that neither would be good, but considering that I living on an Air Force base in North Dakota I want something that sounds good with Movies and Music. I think satellites would be the best choice due to the amount of space that I have available.

My current living room is one with my dining room with my living room only separated by linoleum. Saying this you can see that I dont really have an option to hang the speakers so they would have to be on stands.

If anyone has an recommendations I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Scott

Bepaof8

Agent
Real Name
Pete
I got some nice speakers at Audiogon.com. Good way to stretch a buck, IMO. Consider Energy Take 5's.

Pete

scottmiller

Auditioning
Real Name
scott miller
I have been looking around and a lot of people talk about HSU. Is the Ventriloquist series good or you you guys recommend something else? Other than the Velos what else is a good set. I am not opposed to mixing brands.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
That Velodyne setup is a good deal. For a little more you can get the HSU Ventriloquist, and keep in mind if you buy an HSU sub you will get $100 off the Ventriloquist. That would make the Ventriloquist only $200, and the subs; STF-1 is $300 and the STF-2 is $400, both before shipping.

If you get the Velodyne, it will run you $200 for the 5 speakers and $170, so after shipping it will come to close to $400 total for that system, a very good deal, IMO.

scottmiller

Auditioning
Real Name
scott miller
Originally I was thinking about klipsch quintet but after reading other threads and hearing what people say about other systems I think I may go with the Ventriloquist and the STF-2. It seems like a good deal.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Sounds like a good plan, no pun intended. Let us know how it sounds when you get it set-up.

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Baker
The Hsu is probably the best deal as seth says. Here is my thought though be careful of theft. I have two friends that were in the military and had alot of stuff stolen. With a good Hsu setup like that I would be very careful especially with the STF-2 sub. Just my .02

scottmiller

Auditioning
Real Name
scott miller
Thanks for the heads up, I appericate the input. I think I am going to order them on Monday.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks