What's new

Hades froze over......Wonder Years! (1 Viewer)

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i see no reason to think that this is not gonna be a quality release.

first, releases have been much better in the past few years or so.

they seldom get a bunch of bad reviews at amazon.

the companies have learned their lesson that.

we consumers are simply not willing to buy simply because they put something out.

look at the fugitive release. they went thru hoops to put out a good release.

it is great to criticize them when they put out shoddy releases. but on the same token, they should be lauded when they put out good releases.

this release of the wonder years is gonna set a precedent on music rights issues.

whatever the holdouts thought their music was worth before this release - it is now worth less than half, regarding this show.

they essentially get squat, until and unless a blu-ray release comes along or a large percentage of the holdouts give their permission and we get a minor release of those discs.

but even then, their greatest clout was before this release.

it will hopefully send a message to the rights holders that if they are amongst the small group of holdouts, they can be happy about not getting anything.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Obsolete Man,

Thanks for the link. :) I loved this:

"Paul Simon originally refused creators Neal Marlens and Carol Black the licensing rights to the songs of Simon & Garfunkel - until he saw the first episode, that is. "Bookends," "Scarborough Fair/Canticle," and "I Am a Rock," along with Simon's "American Tune," can all be heard in THE WONDER YEARS."

That Bookends moment is one of the most poignant of the series for me. It must have triggered something in Paul Simon's heart as well.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
The Obsolete Man said:
Music list is in...

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Wonder-Years-The-Complete-Series/20174

285 songs (401 if you count all the theme song appearances), 96% clearance.

Now everyone go pick it apart with a fine tooth comb and report back

Fantastic news! Even though it's not 100% cleared, all the episodes I checked (ones that are particularly important to me) have every bit of original music in them. I was really shocked that the finale of Season One, "Dance with Me," had every song. Looks like a truly wonderful set. Kudos to Time Life this time around!

Gary "glad to see the company release the entire song list - shows they have supreme confidence in the product they are putting together" O.

Wezzo

Second Unit
Yeah, I'm really thrilled. 96% is a phenomenal percentage, they really look to have done their absolute best. This set continues to look like the finest of the year. I never imagined we'd see a Wonder Years set with even 50% of original music, let alone 96%. Superb work at TimeLife.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
TravisR said:
Geez, this info has been up for 2 hours and there hasn't been any posts saying "I'll only accept 97% and above- NO SALE!!!!!!!!!!!" or "Why won't they tell us which 4% of songs are missing?!!! WHAT ARE THEY TRYING TO HIDE?!!!!!!!"? Maybe my faith in the internet has been restored.

I refuse to buy now. My threshold was 96.417% of the music cleared, and they fell short. :P

But seriously, with most of StarVista's music heavy shows, they've been upfront and generous with information, and people haven't complained about the results. The one time I remember people getting a bit angry was with the Mama's Family cuts, which weren't mentioned beforehand, so people felt blindsided. But with this, and China Beach, we know what we're getting, so no one can buy the set then complain about something missing because we've got all the information before we give them our money.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
TravisR said:
Geez, this info has been up for 2 hours and there hasn't been any posts saying "I'll only accept 97% and above- NO SALE!!!!!!!!!!!" or "Why won't they tell us which 4% of songs are missing?!!! WHAT ARE THEY TRYING TO HIDE?!!!!!!!"? Maybe my faith in the internet has been restored.
OK... I'll say it.

While I'm *very* pleased with what was cleared I *would* like to know just which songs they were unable to clear. That's mostly because I'm curious but partly so I can know just which rights holders are the most greedy and unreasonable as that could have a direct effect on my future music purchases. And I highly suspect that's a significant reason, along with making sure to not burn any bridges for future music licenses, why TL will not put out such a list. I'm sure it'll come from some uber-fan at some point.

That said... the missing 4% will in no way cause me to *not* purchase this set once it comes to standard retail! :)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
BobO'Link said:
OK... I'll say it.

While I'm *very* pleased with what was cleared I *would* like to know just which songs they were unable to clear. That's mostly because I'm curious but partly so I can know just which rights holders are the most greedy and unreasonable as that could have a direct effect on my future music purchases. And I highly suspect that's a significant reason, along with making sure to not burn any bridges for future music licenses, why TL will not put out such a list. I'm sure it'll come from some uber-fan at some point.

That said... the missing 4% will in no way cause me to *not* purchase this set once it comes to standard retail! :)
I'm curious as to what's missing too mostly because I'm wondering if they'll use a cover of the song to fill in the 'blank'. That being said, I think there's a difference between us being curious about what's missing and thinking that the absence of a list means that there's a conspiracy afoot. :)

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i recently saw the cute clip with kevin and the older girl, so glad to see "hey good lookin"

gosh, there was even a song from mitch miller !!!!

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
as far as the missing songs, i doubt i would even know, as long as they substituted a "like" sort of song that would match the scene.

i dont have that specific of memories about hardly any tv show.

Real Name
E.G.
I've compared the list of "cleared" songs with lists across the internet of all the songs used throughout the series and I've come up with this rough list of the songs NOT included. This is by no means official or complete. If anyone has any to add, please tell us:

2. Swingers
"In My Life" by Judy Collins

5. The Phone Call
"Theme from Romeo and Juliet" by Nino Rota

7. Heart of Darkness
"Riders on the Storm" by The Doors
"Here Comes the Sun" by Richie Havens

9. Christmas
"Silent Night" by Glen Cambell and Cher

20. Brightwing
"One-Adam 12" - Adam 12 Theme Song

22. Whose Woods Are These
"Troi Gymnopedies" by Blood, Sweat & Tears

23. How I'm Spending My Summer Vacation
"Light My Fire" by The Doors

25. Math Class
"The Twilight Zone" by Marius Constant

28. On the Spot
"That's Entertainment" by The Jam

30. The Family Car
"Long My You Run" by Neil Young

32. Math Class Squared
"The Twilight Zone" by Marius Constant

36. She, My Friend and I
"Auld Lang Syne" by Guy Lombardo

38. Tree House
"The Ride of the Valkyries" by Richard Wagner

41. Faith
"Amazing Grace" by Judy Collins

52. Little Debbie
"Tammy" by Debbie Reynolds

61. Buster
"How Much Is That Doggie in the Window" by Patti Page
"Lassie" - Theme Song

69. The Wonder Years
"Here Comes the Sun" by Richie Havens

74. Full Moon Rising
"Jeopardy Think Music"
"Theme from Hawaii 5-0" by The Ventures

81. Grandpa's Car
"Citizens (dum-de-dum-dum) Drive Safely" by M. Roza and W. Schumann

87. Lunch Stories
"Peter Gun Theme" by Henry Mancini

96. Scenes From a Wedding
"Back Off Boogaloo" by Ringo Starr

97. Sex and Economics
"We're in the Money" by Ginger Rogers

104. New Year
"Steel Guitar Dancers" by Paul Anka

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Maybe they are using the UK masters, and that 4% got lost in the PAL speed up. :)And please to any internet re-posters, this comment is not to be taken seriously in any way, shape, or form - in or out of context.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
gosh, you know the only real losers are the 4%.

not so much because of the money not made.

but what a quality show - and the chance to have a song of yours in this.

although i do realize that probably many of these songs are not/no longer owned by the person or company that made it popular.

but even so, if my song "abc" was in the wonder years tv show, i think it would give me some bragging rights as to why it was worth so much !!

Real Name
E.G.
The Obsolete Man said:
RE: The list above...

Did they count TV theme songs as part of the music to be cleared? Or, would that have been something they mentioned since it isn't what we think about when we think of music that needs to be cleared?
I assume they would since in the list of songs cleared, "The Theme from 'A Summer Place'" is listed, even though that was a movie, but I'm not completely sure. Surely they'd have to clear the rights to those songs, but whether they felt they needed to mention them in the press release or not, I have no idea.

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
justegofficial said:
I've compared the list of "cleared" songs with lists across the internet of all the songs used throughout the series and I've come up with this rough list of the songs NOT included. This is by no means official or complete. If anyone has any to add, please tell us:
2. Swingers"In My Life" by Judy Collins5. The Phone Call"Theme from Romeo and Juliet" by Nino Rota7. Heart of Darkness"Riders on the Storm" by The Doors"Here Comes the Sun" by Richie Havens9. Christmas"Silent Night" by Glen Cambell and Cher20. Brightwing"One-Adam 12" - Adam 12 Theme Song22. Whose Woods Are These"Troi Gymnopedies" by Blood, Sweat & Tears23. How I'm Spending My Summer Vacation"Light My Fire" by The Doors25. Math Class"The Twilight Zone" by Marius Constant28. On the Spot"That's Entertainment" by The Jam30. The Family Car"Long My You Run" by Neil Young32. Math Class Squared"The Twilight Zone" by Marius Constant36. She, My Friend and I"Auld Lang Syne" by Guy Lombardo38. Tree House"The Ride of the Valkyries" by Richard Wagner41. Faith"Amazing Grace" by Judy Collins52. Little Debbie"Tammy" by Debbie Reynolds61. Buster"How Much Is That Doggie in the Window" by Patti Page"Lassie" - Theme Song69. The Wonder Years"Here Comes the Sun" by Richie Havens74. Full Moon Rising"Jeopardy Think Music""Theme from Hawaii 5-0" by The Ventures81. Grandpa's Car"Citizens (dum-de-dum-dum) Drive Safely" by M. Roza and W. Schumann87. Lunch Stories"Peter Gun Theme" by Henry Mancini96. Scenes From a Wedding"Back Off Boogaloo" by Ringo Starr97. Sex and Economics"We're in the Money" by Ginger Rogers104. New Year"Steel Guitar Dancers" by Paul Anka
Interstingly they cleared "In My Life" for Whose Woods Are These?" though.

Real Name
E.G.
TV_Fan said:
Interstingly they cleared "In My Life" for Whose Woods Are These?" though.
And the clip show "The Wonder Years." I can't remember how it was used in the episode "Swingers." Was it prominent? It must have been expensive to use and they felt it wasn't significant enough to clear for "Swingers" unlike the other episodes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks