1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

GWTW and Wizard of OZ again in 2013

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Crawford, Jul 31, 2012.

Tags:
  1. rsmithjr

rsmithjr Well-Known Member

Robert Smith
    I somehow doubt that the new release is for double-dippers. It is probably for folks who haven't bought a Blu-ray of the title yet. Think of it more as a reissue than anything else.
    It certainly is annoying that we aren't see new titles, but I have to think that Warners knows what it is doing. Money made from this can support less profitable catalog.
    We cannot complain that Warners is not doing its part to release catalog.

2. Paul Rossen

Paul Rossen Well-Known Member

From what I've read this is not a reissue but a new scan, restoration whatever... etc. Somehow, I believe they are after more than just the first time buyers...Just my 2 cents worth...
    Next up....
    2014 55th Anniversary of BEN-HUR with newly discovered original 6 track sound elements....

3. Mark Oates

Mark Oates Well-Known Member

Ron, curb your anger. We all know that when the official announcement comes out and the rest of us get in on the secret we'll be all over the new discs, ooh-ing and aah-ing and counting our pennies for (what?) our pentuple-dip. We grouse, I know, but unlike other Studios some of us could mention, WB always delivers, bless 'em. The 2010 set of Oz blew me away completely. If they can top that, I'm buying. I'm not the greatest fan of GWTW, but it's one of those titles that has to be mandatory in a movie collection if you call yourself a movie-lover. Bring it on.
    If any Studio is going to celebrate its 90th Anniversary in style, we all know it's going to be WB. It's just surprising the first news we get is they're revisiting titles already well-served and that actually aren't from the Studio's own legacy.

4. rsmithjr

rsmithjr Well-Known Member

Robert Smith
    That I would buy. I really miss the directional dialogue on Ben-hur.
    If Fox can do it right on South Pacific, why not Warners on Ben-hur?

5. NY2LA

NY2LA Well-Known Member

Listen, Warners HV are big boys, grown adults and (I hope) professionals, they've gotta understand the wallets and pockets they are courting are going to have feelings and opinions, and they should be able to withstand our candor without reacting like the Real Housewives of Atlanta or needing anyone to play referee. (I say that because one or more people have misinterepreted and/or overreacted to that degree)
    While I LOVE their tendency to find ways to technically improve things, they have ALSO established a tendency to overdip. Revisiting these titles yet again and SO SOON, when there ARE a bunch of other titles (including other usual cash cows) they could get to first, they've GOT to brace themselves for a big ol' WTF no matter what kind of enhancements they're planning. At least mine was shaded with some humor. We're in a depression, our wallets and keesters are a little sore from all the extra action. If they want to have at us again, least they can do is take us to dinner first. (point made with intended comic relief, not anger)

6. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Quote:

Curb my anger? For real? I'm sorry...did I
    come across as being angered?
    I hope I'm not falling into a trap even responding

to this.

Listen, I understand the folks at Warner are big

boys. I'm not protecting them from some of the

rather harsh comments made here. Actually, I am more

concerned about members getting themselves riled up

about these re-releases and trying to offer some sort of

reassurance that studio may know what it's doing.

For the record, I'm not their referee and I don't speak

on their behalf.

7. ahollis

ahollis Well-Known Member

Allen
    Anger? No, for I have what I want with the other two collections. I don't even feel disappointed, for I am ignoring those two re-issues and looking forward to the the Blu-ray of AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS, BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES, DRIVING MISS DAISY, BROADWAY LULLABY, THE GREAT ZIEGFELD, GRAND HOTEL, and CIMARRON. Those were also announced in the same article. I cannot wait to see 80 DAYS in Bblu. I am also sure that there will be other titles in the group that we want. Perhaps, we will finally get that Blu of RYAN'S DAUGHTER, AUNTIE MAME, GYPSY, JAMES DEAN COLLECTION, SHOWBOAT COLLECTION and maybe, just maybe THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF THE BROTHERS GRIMM. We can only hope and wish.

8. NY2LA

NY2LA Well-Known Member

No trap here... I got that YOU weren't the angry one, more like June suggesting Ward go easy on the Beaver... I deliberately used humor to express my nonetheless well deserved WTF! I got too many beaver bites on my bottom already. OWWWWW! To Warner: Geez, Not AGAIN! Not Tonight! Give it a Rest! I need a bandage for those burning blistered beaver bites on my bottom!

9. Ray H

Ray H Well-Known Member

Ray
    Both GWTW and Wizard of Oz are immaculate on BD and were derived from 8k scans. I really don't see how they can be improved upon and doubt a 1080p transfer taken from even a 12k scan is gonna look any better.
    WHV was great on DVD. Most of their re-releases were warranted and improved upon discs from the early days of that format. Today, they put out generally solid BDs, but they've become the most shameless studio when it comes to unwarranted re-releases. Many of their candidates for double dips can be improved upon with newer encodes or new masters. What was good in 2007 can be lacking by today's standards. But instead they recycle the same old low bitrate discs in new packaging (A Clockwork Orange, Goodfellas, and likely their re-releases of Full Metal Jacket and Blade Runner). So this news tells me they're willing to throw money at new masters of products that are essentially perfect on BD, but are content with repackaging discs that could really use the effort. I don't know what to think about that. :(

10. Brianruns10

Brianruns10 Well-Known Member

Considering the rate of Warner's shameless downward slide, I'll wager in ten years we'll be able to buy boxsets of Gone With the Wind with our very own clipped portion of the camera neg...

11. JoHud

JoHud Well-Known Member

Joe Hudak
    I probably won't re-buy TWOO, but a superior GWTW release could be interesting. Like the recent Casablanca restoration, I'll await a consensus on these new restorations/transfers.
    Re-released "updated" versions can be annoying to double dip, but honestly those two are among WHV's largest cash cows and the 90th anniversary year would be a prime season to milk. If WHV finds that these two can get improved transfers and restorations I feel I can give them the benefit of the doubt.

12. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Casablanca will probably get the same type of release too.

13. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

Everyone should bear in mind that WHV's transfer of Gone With the Wind has never been right in the first place. It is oversaturated with yellow, flamboyantly so, turning reds to orange etc. They put all this time and money into restoration, scanning and clean-up, then Ned Price comes along with his yellow crayon to twist the pallet. Hopefully a new set of eyes will supervise the new scan and transfer. I'm willing to spend the money again for a properly color-timed Gone With the Wind. The first Blu-ray corrected the problem partially. Now it's time to finish the job. If WHV does it right this time they'll get my money. If they had any decency they'd offer free replacement discs to all the consumers they've ripped off.

14. NY2LA

NY2LA Well-Known Member

I'd say wait for 95. Five years apart is frequent enough. Technology doesn't completely transform in two years. Whatever they're doing now I can't believe they didn't see it coming two-three years ago.

15. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?

Tony D.
    I never picked up the now oop Oz and will never buy Wind on blu because .............. I think it's a terrible movie.
    So, I probably will buy Oz if I can get it without a box of stuff. Hopefully it will include and good version of Dreamer of Ox.

16. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Well-Known Member

Maybe they found the Jitterbug.

17. ahollis

ahollis Well-Known Member

Allen

18. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Premium
    Supporter

Ray
    Robert Harris said somewhere that he knew what they planned for TWOO, and it would be an improvement.

19. JohnMor

JohnMor Premium
    Supporter

John Moreland
    What makes me mad, is that these releases are in the pipeline for years. They aren't sudden decisions. They take approvals, budgets, sign-offs at various stages after the fact, etc. These releases had to be in some stage of development at the time of the previous (last) releases. And THAT is unconscionable to me.

20. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Well-Known Member

Patrick McCart
    Warner re-working perfectly good existing editions wouldn't be as obnoxious if they didn't have so many great films not even on DVD-R yet.