What's new

GTA IV (1 Viewer)

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don

She blew me out of the water at bowling, and her score sucked to begin with. It took me 20 minutes just to "find a lane," and another 20 minutes just to figure out how to roll the damn ball. But at least I'm dating...

I also dig how the game automatically saves your progress after completing a mission, so I no longer have to schlep back to the apartment to save the game.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

That is a BIG selling point for me. That did get annoying.

And is there a mission replay function as reported? How does that work?

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don

Supposedly, once you fail a mission, you can just go back to the beginning of the failed mission instead of starting from your last save. I haven't seen that happen because I have yet to fail any missions. This is not boasting in any way, as I said in an earlier post, my complete lack of coordination with these types of games should bring me to a standstill any minute now...

WillG

Senior HTF Member

When you fail a mission a text message will pop up on your cell phone and and that will ask you if you want to replay on not.

Or do you mean just the ability to go back and replay any completed mission whenever you please? If so, I don't know about that, but maybe it is available when you complete the storyline of the game.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Surely there have been movies that have depicted NYC as bastion of crime and corruption

Also, these GTA games have been around for, a guess, over a decade now. Last time I checked, society had not collapsed

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

The driving in this game is extremely difficult compared to the last 3 GTA games. It's a shame they didn't keep the driving(arcade style) physics of the older games. My best advice to you: The more expensive the cars look the better they usually handle. If your cornering at high speed, let up on the accelerator a little, and use the handbrake.

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I've played the previous games and always got bored of the missions and quit doing them as soon as I unlocked the other areas and vehicles. For me it's all about the open sandbox architecture. With its new multiplayer features GTA4 is a phenomenal upgrade.

I had about 30 minutes today before I had to make dinner so I hopped online, hooked up with some friends, and had a blast. We started out shooting each other then paired off and launched into a massive demolition derby with passengers hanging out the windows blasting everything in sight. When the firetruck showed up we hijacked that and blasted everyone with the hose. Then it was off to a sailboat vs. helicopter battle with chopping rotors and rocket launchers.

Sure there are also structured multiplayer modes but the possibilities of the Free Roam area are endless. I'm having a hard time making any progress on the singleplayer game since the friend invites start pouring in once I fire up the game and off I go.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'm playing San Andreas right now, and I have a question about the new game. Do car doors exist in the world? In SA, you can walk through them, shoot through them, drive through them. It'd be cool if having your door open while driving would mean the possibility of hitting a car with it and having it taken off.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
You know...

I seem to have very little patience for these structured games.

I am having a blast with online multiplayer COD 4 and
I think I am going to try the online GTA 4. I might enjoy
that better.

Also just ordered Halo 3 as it looks like that may be a
cool online experience.

Vince Butler

Agent
Real Name
Vince Butler
It's the little surprises that I'm digging. I was running along the elevated train tracks (the ones that run under the Algonquin Bridge) and I decided to jump off. Unfortunately there were some stairs below me and I landed on the railing - crotch first. Nico just crumpled into a ball on the ground and laid there for about a minute before I could get control back.

Even if I could have planned to land on the railing like that, I never would have expected they would have put in animation to account for that situation. Priceless.

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike

I'm not a fan of these linear stories much either but if you're a big COD4 guy you should enjoy the GTA4 multiplayer as a break from the tension of COD. I play both with the same group and it's a lot of fun to just whoop it up without worrying about wins, stats, and prestige levels too much.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
My problem is that I think I have some sort of ADD. I have
very little patience and my attention is easily swayed, so playing
structured games causes me to lose immediate interest.

Before I jump into the multiplater GTA4, can someone
explain to me what happens?

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
GTA4 is a hoot, and it's only structured if you let it be. Nobody says you have to follow the single player storyline (you can always come back to failed missions by reading the message on your cell phone. Otherwise, just 'jack a car and drive around.

And Rockstar has a tremendous sense of humor! I decided to pursue the elusive "Michele" to see how far I could get. Finally, after date number three I was invited up to her apartment and I almost fell off the chair when the girl started purring, the vibration control started humming and I was awarded 5 achievement points for the "Warm Coffee Achievement."

:laugh: :laugh:

Great homage to the "Hot Coffee" mod of GTA3 on the PC.

I loved it! Way to go, Rockstar!

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

"Michele, what's your sign, baby?"

(Niko is a wild and crazy guy).

:D

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
I'm at around the 20% complete mark with GTA IV and it is by far the best game I've ever played, just brilliant.

:laugh:

If anyone is up for some multiplayer gaming with either GTA IV or COD4 on the PS3 then do please add me, my PSN name is: Marty2015McFly

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don

I need to "jack" a motorcycle. I do much better on a motorcycle in the GTA games, but they appear to be a bit scarce in this one.

My aforementioned lack of coordination has kicked in earlier than I thought. It was bad enough that I managed to dent up Michelle's ride on our first date, but I can't complete the "Bleed (something)" mission where you come to Roman's aid at a basketball court. After beating down the two thugs, once I jump back in Roman's cab to chase "the one that got away," all bets are off. He gets away every time, because that cab handles like sh*t...

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I bagged Michelle and I didn't see anything about achievement points. Does the game tell you this, or did you just see it in your game activity tally?

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

First of all, I'm assuming that you are playing the XBox360 version since the PS3 version doesn't incorporate Achievement Points. (Please don't take this the wrong way - I mean no disrespect. But sometimes the most obvious question is the solution.)

That said, here's what I did: It took a total of three "dates" with Michele before she invited me up to her apartment and that's where the fun (and the achievement) kicked in at 5 points. As I was playing the storyline of the game I would occasionally call Michele after my initial date. She finally agreed to a second date (which went well but no invite upstairs) and then after a third date (to get some Chicken at one of the fast food joints) she was mine and the rest is history.

;)

Of course, I always acted like a gentlemen around her and I would imagine - given the level of detail that Rockstar has created in this game - that this might play some roll in whether achievement points are awarded or not. Does anyone else know for sure?

This game keeps unveiling new surprises.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks