What's new

Grindhouse - New Tarantino/Rodriguez film announced.. (1 Viewer)

BarryS

Second Unit

Okay, that's your opinion, but I disagree completely. Tarantino for one is a huge fan of The Devil's Rejects, which is why Zombie was asked to direct a trailer. I remember an HTF thread when The Devil's Rejects came out where a bunch of people were discussing the film. Most found it to be quite an interesting, unique very worthwhile film. My feelings exactly.

There are plenty of filmmakers that I don't care for at all, but I don't feel the need to go around flaming them. I understand that there are others that like them, and that's fine.

BarryS

Second Unit
I'm sorry if I was a jackass. I just get very defensive when my heroes are attacked. I respect your opinion, but I thought you were a little vicious. But it's okay. Rob brings that out in people sometimes. I know he has as many haters as lovers.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
THE DEVIL'S REJECTS was an excellent piece of work. As for the Rob Zombie trailer in GRINDHOUSE, it was only a quick trailer to accomodate the two features of Tarantino and Rodriguez (which are the main draw). Since when is a movie's trailer so analyzed, anyway? Even in actual grindhouse cinema of the day, not all the trailers were winners, and you don't judge a feature by its advertisement. Perhaps if Zombie actually made a complete film based on his trailer, then there's something to analyze.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I didnt analyze the trailer. I simply said it sucked - especially when you consider what it was sandwiched between.

Barry took offense to "Please god, dont let Rob Zombie ever behind a camera again. Please. Pretty please with sugar on top. Ugh." Which is based on sitting through Corpses and DR both or which I absolutely hated, RZs unimaginative lazy ideas for Halloween and now this trailer. The guy IN MY OPINION makes Michael Bay look like Kubrick. I explained my issues with Zombie in the Halloween thread and I didnt feel like repeating them here.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Skipping over scenes while re-watching a movie? That's a cinematic no-no in my book! I agree that the talking scenes in DEATH PROOF went on too long and - even worse - didn't really offer anything nearly as interesting as, say, something like PULP FICTION with Samuel Jackson and Travolta... but maybe next time I'll try to catch more of the dialogue, maybe try to get more into it. I just don't think skimming through movies is the way to watch 'em. At least the talking, whether it's profound or not, still sets up the later scenes so we care a bit more about the outcome.

Justin W

Stunt Coordinator

good call, i spaced on that. that would've improved the slasher feel if there was that sense of looming danger right from the beginning i guess. i still love it for waht it is.

BarryS

Second Unit

Oh yeah. I think Death Proof is amazing. Planet Terror is fun and all, but I can't stop thinking about Death Proof. The actresses, the music, the cars, the dialog, Kurt Russell, ZOE BELL.... It's a great movie, and I can't wait to see the longer version.

BradWOO

Stunt Coordinator
I was able to score some passes and saw Grindhouse for the second time last night. I enjoyed it even more the second time.

Here are some details that I caught:

When one of the characters is driving in their car in the early part of Planet Terror, the DJ on the radio mentions the death of Jungle Julia (from Death Proof)

In Death Proof, when the girls are out on the porch talking with Stuntman Mike, there is a guy standing behind the girls. He is wearing a t shirt with a skull on it with the word "dead" underneath the skull. I thought that was cool.

Also, did anyone catch that the Crazy Babysitter Twins were seen going into the bar in DeathProof?

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Oh yeah, definitely. And I think that's the big difference between the two films... Tarantino's is the one you keep thinking about and that stays with you. I've had that experience with most of his films, and it's a vital quality.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Finally got around to seeing this. For me, it had its highs and its lows.

Of the two features, I personally felt Planet Terror was more interesting but Death Proof was ultimately more satisfying. Planet Terror really started to drag after a while. How long was it? Even with missing reels, it felt like it could've been two and a half hours. I saw a few folks leaving after it, and I actually understood why they did.

For Death Proof, the dialogue scenes just went on and on. See, I could understand if the dialogue was actually interesting or if we cared for the characters, but for the first part of it, there's really little opportunity for the audience to connect with girls. Just a load of relationship and girl issues. The characters of the second part were much more interesting partly because the actors fleshed them out better. Still, the scenes dragged but the finale was satisfying.

As far as the trailers go, I think Machete is the only one I would want to see.

BarryS

Second Unit

Yes, on my second viewing I noticed this as well as the radio DJ mentioning the death of Jungle Julia in Planet Terror. I did not notice the guy with the t-shirt.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Your reply doesn't make sense. I have already seen the movie
straight through the FIRST time, so how am I going to miss anything
the second time if I choose t skip over over-lengthy dialogue that
I have heard already?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Quick exercise for the class: How many words in this sentence have to be changed to make it a defense of panning and scanning a movie? :)

That dialog is part of the movie, just like the stuff on the sides of the screen. You're either watching a movie, or you're watching selected bits of it.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou

Not really the same thing Jason, for instance how many times have I chatted with friends while a DVD was on or leaving the room to make tea without pausing the DVD, missing entire scenes, blasphemous? No way, not if it's a film you're familiar with and seen a few times already. What is this a religious order? Speaking for myself I will see Grindhouse at least one more time complete when it pops up on DVD after that who knows? Probably read a magazine during the endless Tarantino-speak, or horror of horrors reach for the remote. ;)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Of course it's the same thing; heck, I'd argue that fast-forwarding through the slow parts is worse than watching a panned and scanned copy: The choices a director makes to pace their movie are just as important as the ones he makes when composing an image.

I'm not saying we should excommunicate Ron from anything :), just that I can totally understand where Joe was coming from when he said skipping scenes is a no-no in his book (clearly, his book is similar to mine).

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I've found that in some cases movies I thought were slow the first time around move much more quickly on repeat viewings. Hell, sometimes a movie just plain gets better because I see things in it that I missed before. If someone wants to skip over parts when they see a movie at home that's fine, but they might be depriving themselves in the long run.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
And stopping or walking out of a film because you didn't like it? How big of a no-no is that in your book Jason? Oh come of it already. Are you saying if you rented a film and got bored of it half way you wouldn't dare switch it off or turn away because it's breaking some unwritten law of movie watching? You'll somehow feel ashamed or couldn't face your friends if you didn't sit thru all of Wild Hogs, including the end credits? [shakes head] :D

I think what we have here is a bad case of Tarantinoism, people so fanatical about Tarantino they've practically deified the gobby movie nerd, that it doesn't matter how rubbish some of his dialogue is (and a lot of it is) if Tarantino wrote it, it's sacred. Right?

p.s. I've watched From Dusk Till Dawn a few times, but I've only watched the first half once or twice [cue Jason spitting at the screen]. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks