What's new

Grilling Portabello Mushrooms? (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
We thought we would try doing a paninni style sandwhich on the charcoal grill with Portabellos and cheese. Anyone ever done this? I think I would need to grill the mushroom separabtely before putting on the bread and cheese.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I've never done them on a gas/charcoal grill before, but I have pan grilled them and Portabellos tend to release a lot of black 'grease' (or whatever it is).

I know it gets pretty messy in the pan, so I can imagine the grill would be even worse. I'm sure it must be pretty tricky to try and cook them without flares up or drying them out (by letting all that grease pour out into the bottom of the grill).

Here's an interesting bit of info:Source

p.s. Yes, definitely grill them separately. Like I said, those mushrooms releases a LOT of juice, so if you cook them right in the panini, the sandwich might get soaked.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Thanks, that tip about grilling them separately from the bread is an excellent idea. I was planning on doing that at least partly, now I think I should do it totally.

We're going to have some cheese on them, so I'll cook them till just about done and then put cheese on them, then put the mushers on the toasted bread.

I googled some recipies and one said cook for 8 minutes a side, which seems like a lot to me, while another said 5 minutes a side. I think the latter one is closer to reality.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
We did the portabellows last night and they came out pretty well. 16 minutes would have been too much but 10-12 was better.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Well, (cough), the grill was kinda black to start with, so I'm not sure. My wife had degilled them first.

JamesED

Second Unit
My girlfiend has made veggie burgers out of them before. She does them in the pan, so I can only speak for seasoning. She uses a little bit of olive oil and some steak seasoning. They come out really good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks