What's new

Grey's Anatomy season 5 (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I say they laid the groundwork because Alex cornered Addison and asked her point blank: "are you happier now that you walked away.." and she couldn't answer.. signaling maybe she wasn't.

It's a ratings ploy to say: "we know Private Practice hasn't been a ratings blockbuster.. there is always an out.." of having Addison return to Grey's.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I see. You know, I thought her response wasn't meant to say anything about the behind the scenes going-on of the show. I took it as the character simply not wanting Alex to take her situation and try to use it to navigate his own life. In other words, just because she left to go to LA and it was the right thing to do for her situation doesn't mean Alex should leave Seattle Grace. They're different people with different situations.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Mikah, that's how I read that situation with Alex and Addison too.

I thought the cross-over was well done too. I agree that something odd is going on with Izzy and it's a shame because I liked how her character had a chip on her shoulder in the beginning with being the underwear model that allowed her to pay for her medical school tuition. She had brains and beauty.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
;)The crossover ain't over yet, folks! There's still another 2-episode block on February 19th, this coming Thursday, and it looks just as interesting as the crossover block we're currently discussing, if the preview is to be trusted!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I wonder if Izzy is really toast.

I happen to see a Patrick Dempsey interview, they asked if he was leaving since his character is losing it. He said he was not and that they all had contracts, they all signed the same ones. So that might answer that question.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
If so, they've done a pretty good job of making sure I don't care in the slightest. The optimistic caring surgeon that was Izzie has long since degenerated into a prop. The last time I remember really caring about her was during the Denny arc (no, not that one... the "real" original one). I'd like to think that what an actor does off hours doesn't affect my ability to appreciate what I see on my screen, but in this case, I'm not sure that's true. Some of it is what I see on the screen, but some of it is I've just been somewhat turned off with all the drama surrounding her off screen. I'm not a fan of people who jump at the chance to get on a network show, then think they're too big for it once the network has invested heavily in them and given them wide exposure. Yeah, I know. Poor network. Whatever. That's the way I feel. To this day, I won't watch CSI:Miami. I still can't believe she publicly said what she said about the show and her role/storylines. If she's gone, good riddance. I'll invest in the people who want to be there.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
At least they made Heigl earn her departure from the show with all the cliched medical storylines. TR, OTOH, was summarily dismissed. I am very ambivalent about tuning in next season.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Yeah, both went away. I think TR was dismissed, but at least they sent him away as a "Hero" of sorts. But I think they got to the point where the show was clearly moving away from those characters last year.

It's sad because he was the character who I think was easiest for the audience to sympathize with.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
That was a surprising finale. For me I didn't expect TR first to sign-up for the military, and then be hit by the bus.

I don't know the behind the scenes business with these 2 actors, other then hearing bits about how Heigl wasn't happy last year. I wasn't sure what the deal was with TR.

But the way the show ended, to me, it wasn't 100% set. It looked like they both were in limbo. And they both could come back to life. Well, we didn't really see George die, did we?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt

Even if George were to come back it couldn't be for more then a cameo. He'll be a cripple, one armed man who likely has serious brain damage and permanent deformities. I'm sure he's looking forward to that role.

I think they are both gone. I think TR was most unhappy that his total screen time was down to about 2 minutes an episode.. he was a ghost this season. There was some implication that he and Heigl got punished because of the exit of Washington, who was one of Shonda's favs until that incident.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
As I said, I don't keep up with the backstage stuff. But I looked and I guess TR Knight wanted to move on and Shondra said they kept his character in the background so we would not notice he wasn't around much during the finale.

I suppose if George pulls through, they can replace the actor with a new one since his face and body looks like it's pretty mangled.

Izzie's fate still does not seem set.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I hadn't heard that, and I find it hard to believe. As it turns out, I'd rather have Burke's character than Izzy or George at this point.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
The other news is that Katherine Heigl is staying. Of the two, that's not what I would have predicted. I know why Burke had to leave, but I'm having a tougher time understanding why George does. This isn't a show like Lost where I think they can say, "We didn't write for the character because we were done with it." In other words, you can't really blame it on being a slave to the story. We may never know, but did TR Knight's numbers track low? Did Shonda subconsciously have it in for him after being "forced" to release Isaiah Washington. George started off as a pretty well defined character and I find it difficult to believe they couldn't include him in more stories if they really wanted to. And given that the character was there, they should have wanted to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks