What's new

Greenpeace says your game console could kill you! (1 Viewer)

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
I found this while browsing Yahoo! and thought it was interesting, seeing as I have a PS3. Whatever your feelings toward Greenpeace, no product should contain hazardous chemicals but sadly many do!

Read the article here.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I take anything that Greenpeace says with a grain of salt because a lot of their statements, while probably scientifically correct, have little or no basis in real world danger. This seems like something that would be used as a teaser on Fox ("film at Eleven") News or by similar shock news vendors.

If we totally avoided all "hazardous" materials we would cease to exist. It's more about how these things are used that defines how safe they are. If you suck on a car exhaust pipe you will probably die. Also, if you step in front of a fast moving one you also risk the same result. Does that mean we recall all automobiles? Even all these "energy saving" vehicles are not all that they are made out to be. True, some limit the use of petroleum products (which is probably a good thing for many economic and political reasons) but when you factor in the total energy cost to the environment of producing and maintaining such "green" vehicles you might be surprised to learn that they contribute more to, rather than solving, the energy crisis. The only "green" concern I have with my XBox 360 is that the ring remains that color instead of turning "red."

:D

Other than that, this is nothing more than journalistic sensationalism in my opinion (speaking as a former Chemistry teacher).

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

Yeah Adam, you might come down with a case of the "Blu-Flu!"

(Rim shot!)

:laugh:
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif
:laugh:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yeah, that's Greenpeace for you. Monsanto can pollute our environment with BT corn, soy, and cotton. They can control our entire food supply by polluting the environment with "terminator" seeds. But all Greenpeace is concerned about is toxic chemicals locked away in game consoles. What a bunch of frigging assholes.

JoeyR

Second Unit
Real Name
Joey
If we got rid of everything that contains chemicals that could harm us AT THE RIGHT LEVELS then we pretty much would all be living in mud huts with only being able to fling poo at each other as entertainment.

Of course then Greenpeace would say poo could kill you and have it outlawed and then we would all end up like Elvis

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
My wife once worked in a health and safety obsessed office where they had a warning sent round about the dangers of using ballpoint pens in an enclosed space because biro ink was toxic. I promise you I am not making this up.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Did Greenpeace mention that those new(ish) white light long lifespan lightbulbs that are oh so energy efficient contain mercury? How you're supposed to recycle them due to the dangers of throwing them into landfills? How if they break you need to leave the room for several hours before it's safe?

Doubt it. But my Wii has toxic chemicals that I will never encounter or be in danger of, so I needed to know.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

Savor the flavor, because the government has banned incandescents by 2014 by fiat. I guess not enough of us peons were making the decision to switch to fluorescents so the decision was made for us.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Just bought some of those CFL bulbs. The package doesn't mention any of that stuff about mercury spillage. I sense a class-action lawsuit in 10 years. . .

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Greenpeace will kill us all with their hot air. Ice caps will melt, cities will flood, crops will fail. We'll all drown or starve. GP help stop global warming....shut the f*%k up. ;)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Well, I'm wiping a lot of egg off my face, right now. I seem to do that a lot when I get into these threads. I shot from the hip and now I've got a fat lip. (Rueful :) )

I should have checked first. DAMN internet search engines! :angry: :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation822
Recent bookmarks