What's new

Green Hornet news... (1 Viewer)

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
Saw Seth Rogen at the Scream Awards and he looks like he's lost a lot of weight for this role.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
This movie is getting more press for that weight loss then anything else. I still don't think Seth can handle the roll. I never saw The Green Hornet as a giggling pothead, and I haven't seen anything to make me think that Seth can play anything but a giggling pothead.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
It appears that Rogen and his writing partner had originally intended the movie to be played seriously, but now with Stephen Chow on board, they're making it a little sillier to suit it to his strengths.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor

While I like Shephen Chow's work, I think I'll wait until it reaches DVD, if then. I agree with Russell G's assessment of Seth Rogan, and really don't like the idea of GH hitting the bong.....

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Considering Seth was saying this was going to be a serious take on Green Hornet and not a comedy, this looks awful. Even more sad is it looks like a terrible Michel Gondry film, he's one of my favorite directors.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Originally Posted by Russell G

.... Even more sad is it looks like a terrible Michel Gondry film,

That's exactly what I thought. I mean, the trailer looked like "Cliche's Greatest Hits". Including the "slow-mo, bad guys do a group walk while something blows up behind them & they don't even notice."

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Wow. That trailer is incredibly, incredibly bad. I've got zero desire to see this film based on what I've seen in it.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I'm still trying to erase the memory of that execrable trailer from my mind. What ARE these people thinking??

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I guess thats why its coming out in January. I wouldnt even rent this. It looks Land of the Lost (movie) BAD!

Oh wait, a 3D live action/ computer animated Smurfs preview was on after GH...that looks even WORSE!

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I watched the trailer.

Did they have turn Britt Reid into such a loser and a dork?

So stupid he shoots himself in the face with a gas gun?

Whose mind is behind this offense and what the hell was he thinking?

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by TravisR

I can't believe the reaction to this trailer. I was sure this was going to be welcomed with open arms by Green Hornet fans.

I can't believe you thought any Green Hornet fan would like this abortion. Where did you get the idea people wanted to see a bumbling idiot?

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
The deconstruction of male roles and particularly of male heroes is literally mandated by studio execs now. This trailer looks like more of that.

Britt Reid is a traditional hero, a crusading journalist by day and the Green Hornet by night. When he steps outside the law, he is still honest. He is a role model youngsters can look up to. That is the reason for the franchise's enduring popularity.

Britt Reid / The Green Hornet is a decent man who does the right thing. He is not a slobbering, bumbling idiot, and if that's how this film redefines him, the studio has screwed up very badly.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
After watching this again I'm even more firmly convinced that not only will it suck, but that Seth Rogen was absolutely the wrong choice for this role.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by RobertR
I can't believe you thought any Green Hornet fan would like this abortion. Where did you get the idea people wanted to see a bumbling idiot?

I was just kidding around. Even if the trailer made it look like the best movie ever made, alot of the existing fanbase would probably still hate it or at least be skeptical.

On a sidenote, Kevin Smith's old Green Hornet script has been turned into a comic book mini-series and that, in my opinion, is respectful of the existing mythos but still modernizes the character.

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
"Britt Reid is a traditional hero, a crusading journalist by day and the Green Hornet by night. When he steps outside the law, he is still honest. He is a role model youngsters can look up to."

Unfortunately, we've had decades of that hero, and apparently the audience is tired of it. Right now they seem to want to see heroes who are as flawed as they are. That opens up superhero stories for more depth and complexity.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Don Solosan

Right now they seem to want to see heroes who are as flawed as they are. "That opens up superhero stories for more depth and complexity.
You can have plenty of "depth and complexity" without turning the hero into a bumbling, idiotic doofus. It's an oxymoron to refer to such a person as a "hero". I'm not convinced it's audiences who want to see a superhero who's "just like the rest of us" so much as a Hollywood mindset that wants to tell us there aren't any heroes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks