What's new

Green Day Anyone? (1 Viewer)

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Surprised to see no one has mentioned Green Days new album, 21st Century Breakdown....I got it today, along with a Blu-Ray version of Bullet in a Bible (awesome on Blu Ray) from Best Buy.

Green Day has always been one of my favorite bands and one of the few (Tool and Pearl Jam are others) of which a new album is an automatic buy for me....What I've always liked about them is that they always seem to grow and change without losing what made them so good to begin with.

21st Century Breakdown is another example. It's big and sweeping much like American Idiot, and like AI another concept album, though after only two listens I can't comment about the concept idea.

Where it differs from American Idiot is that it has a significantly higher number of slower songs, and the band clearly delved more into harmony...People who want to hear Dookie, or only even the rougher edged type songs from American Idiot are probably going to be somewhat disappointed with this album.

The political charge in 21st Century Breakdown is less obvious than on American Idiot, but it's clearly there...The album demands that you pay attention to the lyrics for this aspect if you're interested, as there are fewer in your face lines of outright political commentary.

Billie Joe has become a better singer over the years, and this album, I think, really highlights this. Overall, the album is heavier on piano and synthesizer than any prior Green Day effort to date, and though this is a personal quirk of mine, automatically more pompous due to a repeated use of strings....which are ok by me if used sparingly by a rock band, but easy to over do.

For those who like Green Day's harder, more punk leaning than pop sound, the album doesn't really start to cook until the 8th or 9th song and is never really sustained with slower, more melodious tunes stopping 21st Century Breakdown from ever really gathering up a full head of steam the way some fans would probably prefer.

For me though, what makes them different from album to album is what makes them so good...rock bands are most interesting in my opinion, when they're experimenting and growing as artists.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
They're supposed to be on SNL tonight, as the musical guests. Will Farrel is hosting. I like a couple of their songs...........
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Green Day has refused to bow down to WalMart's demand of an edited "clean" album version, and thus the new album is not being sold there. Good for them.

In an era of sellouts like AC/DC and the Boss striking money making deals with WalMart to be exclusive retailers and sell those ridiculous exclusive edition retail packages, it's nice to see there is at least one band out there with some integrity.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Not to mention the reasonable prices for their concert tickets. I just picked up 2 luxury club level tickets for their Boston show at the Garden, $47 each (before the legalized extortion that is Ticketmaster, that is). I paid $90 a ticket back in 2000 for the Rolling Stones, and the seats were in the back row of the balcony.

As far as the album goes, it's good, real good. But American Idiot is still their Sgt. Peppers.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

Absolutely! $49 here, for Loge seats at MSG...Nice to see they're not getting carried away with the price of tickets. $90 for back row nose bleed seats? Ouch!

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
I was kinda sickened when I saw the song "Know Your Enemy" being cut with some basketball stuff a few weeks ago. I don't remember the station but it absolutely turned me off. I like Green Day and I am sure they weren't personally asked by the label if that was ok but still, it took anything meaningful about the song and crapped on it.

I won't be buying this new album until I get that thought out of my head.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter

Haven't seen it, but a friend told me about it. He didn't like it either. This is one of the reasons I don't watch music videos.

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
It was strange because I could swear it ran over the credits of another TV show or something. It was the first exposure I had to the new album and it totally gave off the wrong vibe. This isn't anything against the band in any way, I've seperated them from the media machine behind them a long time ago.

I liked the other promos they did where the band is walking backstage and the people they pass reference some of their past albums in a way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks