What's new

GREATEST Film of this Decade -2000's (so far that is) (1 Viewer)

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
That would be the Ridley Scott clunker called Gladiator
Ah. ok. Well, I wasn't here then, and it never occured to me to nominate it, although I don't think it was a clunker (I also don't think it should have won Best Picture). If you're saying that LOTR will be forgotten in a few years, I think you're wrong. There's no comparison between the two.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for running the tourney Jim. It is pretty interesting that some of form such passionate attachments so quickly.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
...and the grumblers (and their opinions) won't matter a whit in 100 years because they'll be forgotten...
Hogwash.

At any rate, in response to JohnRice, a final nod to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. I have no problem with the result of the tournament, Mulholland was simply not my taste.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I participated very little in this tournament, and less frequently in others due to non-HT constraints, but...
My choice for best film of the decade (so far) is Almost Famous. I consider it a flawless ode to a time and place that I experienced in some small fashion. For me, one of the more heartfelt and sincere efforts that I've seen in many years.
I have no issues with Mulholland Drive winning, as it is one of the better films of the decade; but I tend to agree with Vickie that when one takes the long view - Jackson's The Lord of the Rings trilogy will be the film that endures ( between the two choices. ) While I believe the films of the trilogy *should* stand on their own merits, I can't help but believe that the impact of the completed trilogy will be more than the sum of their parts.
The Herculean task of bringing the books to life on film, in and of itself, will garner the films a certain notoriety that will ensure their longevity. Nevermind that Jackson has done a wonderful job so far.
- Walter

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Don't mind at all.
The closest thing I can give you is a top 5.
In no order
Almost Famous
Black Hawk Down
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
Lord of the Rings:FOTR (extended version)
Moulin Rouge!

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Jim on 3 of his picks:

My list:

LOTR:FOTR EE
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Ghost World
Dancer in the Dark
Almost Famous

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
So you searched it out after it defeated LOTR in our tourney? :D And?

Steeve Bergeron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steeve Bergeron
No, I saw it on TV a few weeks after our tourney. It's pretty good, I agree. But better than LOTR? C'mon!

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Oops, I should've voted in this bracket before sudden death, but oh, well. Mulholland Dr. is a worthy winner. As for some of the hyperbole around here: Wow, take a break and watch a movie! The day you take anyone's opinion seriously enough to equate their existence with dust is the day you need to just say no (or yes) to drugs. Vickie, I agree with many of your opinions and applaud your almost manic devotion to them, but for the love of God, chill out!

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Great tourney, and Mulholldand Dr. is certainly a worthy winner. However, I really have no clue for the amount of vitriol Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, or people who like it gets these days. It's like you're not aloud to praise the film without being accused of being a fanboy.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I have no idea as to my top movie of the decade, but here are five I think worthy of consideration:

The Pianist

City of God

The Quiet American

Almost Famous

In the Mood for Love

I’m holding my view of LOTR until the final film has been released. I’m not completely pleased with either as stand-alone films—for example I think that ‘TTT’ suffers a bit from second-act syndrome and although I applaud Jackson’s decision to recap nothing (except just a bit of the Gandalf/Balrog battle) and just plunge us into TTT, it makes the film viewed as a separate entity not so complete. As does the ending.

This may all be of no consequence looking at the LOTR as one work—which is how it appears that Jackson wants us to see his films. And how Tolkien viewed LOTR in any case.

It's like you're not aloud to praise the film without being accused of being a fanboy.
It’s the tone of some of the praise that is off-putting to me. Not the praise itself. I’d hasten to add, that a good deal of that tone, I’ve picked up in other threads—it just carries over here.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
From my previous post my 5 best are:

A.I.
Code Unknown
Yi Yi
Dancer In The Dark
Requiem For A Dream

haven't seen The Pianist, City of God or Quiet American which opens this weekend.

Arman

Screenwriter
I nominate:

Memento
In The Mood For Love
The Pianist
Talk To Her
Mulholland Dr
Wonder Boys
Black Hawk Down
Innocence
Artificial Intelligence
High Fidelity

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't think I can answer my own question. I can't even come up with a top 5. 2001 in particular was such a great year. Probably one of the best ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks