What's new

Great Scott...part 2...is Paramount now releasing thru Shout? Ridley Scotts THE DUELLISTS is coming (1 Viewer)

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
I saw that one of my favorite movies...THE DUELLISTS....is going to be released on Bluray in the Fall. Very exciting news. This will look gorgeous in that format.
I assumed that Olive...who has become one of my favorite companies.....was releasing it. Never assume...as I read further...it is Shout! That is releasing this on Blue.
I have mixed feelings on this. I love seeing at least trailer on á release..of which Shout is generous with and Olive rarely offers. But the debacle of the recent bluray release of THE SAILOR WHO FELL FROM GRACE...has got me worried of its quality.
If a any movie would benefit from the format its Scott's beautiful period piece. I wish they had kept tbd original posted art...thats what got this 15 year old to the Festival theatrd in Manhattan to see it on a cold January day (it was either this...A NIGHT FULL OF RAIN...THE SERPENTS EGG...OPERATION THUNDERBOLT....RENALDO AND CLARA or SASQUATCH...some group!)..
So is Shout now in bed with Paramount? Paramount is easily the tramp of the studios...selling its wares to many companies.

Jeffrey:K

Second Unit
Originally Posted by Louis Letizia /t/322954/great-scott-part-2-is-paramount-now-releasing-thru-shout-ridley-scotts-the-duellists-is-coming#post_3961070
But the debacle of the recent bluray release of THE SAILOR WHO FELL FROM GRACE...has got me worried of its quality.
The difference is that SAILOR is owned by a small indie company, while THE DUELLISTS is held by Paramount, a studio that actually spends money on the upkeep of its library holdings.

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit
So, Criterion, Olive Films, and now Shout Factory? Is Paramount following Sony's lead in dumping their catalog titles on whoever will pay licensing?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Kevin Martinez /t/322954/great-scott-part-2-is-paramount-now-releasing-thru-shout-ridley-scotts-the-duellists-is-coming#post_3961123
So, Criterion, Olive Films, and now Shout Factory? Is Paramount following Sony's lead in dumping their catalog titles on whoever will pay licensing?

That seems to be Paramount's business model for their catalog titles. And as long as they get released, I am happy for it. With Fox's announcement this past week of going back into the Blu catalog title business, I wonder how they read the Twilight sales numbers vs what Sony and Paramount seem to know.

Actually Shout and Paramount have had a deal for a little while. Their first announcement was was WALKING TALL and it's two squeals back in January, which was release last May on DVD and Blu-ray. There is speculation and hope that the deal will also included WILLARD and BEN but there has been no announcement. Shout had said at the time they asked for LOOKING FOR MR. GOODBAR, but Paramount told them no it was someone elses.

The WALKING TALL films along with WILLARD and BEN were from Bing Crosby Productions, which Paramount acquired many years ago through acquisitions.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Shout! has also been licensing from Fox for a while, so they aren't exactly new to the scene.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Sorry to burst the bubble but Shout's deal with Paramount was for four titles only: The Walking Tall trilogy (recently released) and THE DUELLISTS. Shout already had a prior agreement with Viacom, Paramount's parent company but those seem to be for children's programming exclusively, stuff from Nickeledeon. It seems Paramount is stuck between a rock and a hard place, not sure what to do with their back catalog. They're releasing PET SEMATARY this Fall, but I haven't heard of any others. There's certainly no shortage of titles that need a makeover, including many non-anamorphic DVDs from the early days of the format (BREAKDOWN). I think Olive will end up handling a good chunk of Paramount's back catalog in addition to the Republic titles. They already have released some non-Republic films, haven't they?
Does anyone know if Paramount's deal with Lionsgate expired?

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
There is a Paramount DVD of Something Big (1971) slated for an October 9 release date on Amazon.com and DVD Empire. Reminds me of the Monte Walsh DVD that was released by Paramount through CBS, so I think this might be another CBS release.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
JoHud said:
There is a Paramount DVD of Something Big (1971) slated for an October 9 release date on Amazon.com and DVD. Reminds me of the Monte Walsh DVD that was released by Paramount through CBS, so I think this might be another CBS release.
Which, I guess, gives me some faint hope for THE CHALLENGE, another CBS title handled by Paramount.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks