What's new

Great put-downs of musical 'giants' (1 Viewer)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, if we really want to get down and dirty, Beethoven's first music teacher said of his pupil that he was headstrong, not talented, and wouldn't go very far in music. That's a bigger deal than even Decca turning down that band someone named Brian Epstein was trying to push.

George See

Second Unit
Wow lots of R.E.M. hate, I can't say I agree with all the things they've said over the years and I certainly don't think the band as a whole consider the Beatles to be elevator music...Remember Mike Mills played bass on the Songs from the movie Backbeat and even sang lead on "Roadrunner" on that album, I doubt he would have contributed to a Beatles movie if he hated the Beatles. I would almost think Stipes comments on the Beatles might have been a joke he does have a strange sense of humour. Up and Reveal...not trivial...Up is a very deep album takes several listens to appreciate. Reveal is a little more light and fluffy but there are some real gems on there, and who's to say light and fluffy is bad in the first place, not ever album can or should be Sgt Peppers or Dark Side...
I personally feel the Beatles and R.E.M. should be in any music collection. I've got R.E.M. on DVD-A and i'm hoping to get some Beatles soon.

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
Then there's Carly Simon's hit "You're So Vain", which according to some theories is a slam on either James Taylor, Mick Jagger, Warren Beatty, Kris Kristofferson or Cat Stevens. Some guy paid about $50K to find out the secret a few weeks ago.
CAT STEVENS?????!!!!!

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Re: "You're So Vain"

It couldn't surely be Mick, as he sung back-up on the track. Not that you'll ever catch me defending Jagger; I think he's a git, but I love the early Stones stuff - shit, who doesn't?

And I'm pretty sure that James Taylor, Kris Krisstofferson or Cat Steven's ever wore a apricot scarf. The line, "... Some underworld spy or the wife of a close friend" has always intrigued me. I think it is about Beatty, but it could turn out to be... anyone. The late, great, evil Jack Nitzsche once made a remark about Carly's horse-like face, and she burst into tears.

And is that story about Phil Spector pulling a gun on Stevie Wonder true? Not that Phil hasn't since outdid himself. Wacko.

Joe Meek - he was an interesting producer, too! :D

Gordy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks