What's new

Great post 1995 bands...is there any? (1 Viewer)

ryan_x

Stunt Coordinator
me and my friends were trying to think of some great bands that came out after 1995...and we could only come up with one...incubus...is it just me or has there been a real lack of good bands lately...and when i mean good bands im talking about the type of bands that you will still be hearing there songs on the radio 10 years later...what has happened?

Luc D

Second Unit
There are some, you just have to look for them. I just got into the Doves recently, really great stuff. Their second album comes out early June, I think. I've heard a couple of tracks and it's given me something to look forward to.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I guess it depends on what your opinion of a "good" band is, and what "after 1995" means. I don't really find "incubus" to be a good band, so I guess it might be tough for me personally.

But "good" bands that got popular after 1995 (although some had record released in 94), IMHO, include:

refused, converge, sleater-kinney, in flames, avail, milemarker, engine88, mogwai, sunny day real estate, modest mouse, spoon, stepleader, chavez, unwound, etc, etc.

So, I guess the moral of the story is, there are tons of great bands- if you ignore the radio.

-Vince

ryan_x

Stunt Coordinator
you guys aren't getting it...sure there are small unheard of bands that we personally(emphasis on personally) think are great but Im talking about bands that could actually fill an arena...there seems to be tons pre-95...

just a few:

stone temple pilots

red hot chili peppers

oasis

radiohead

metallica

Korn

rage agianst the machine

guns & roses

nirvana

green day

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Ah, see the problem is, Ryan, that's not what you asked for. You said "great bands" - what you're looking for is "bands with stadium sized support".
There is a /bit/ of a difference ;)

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
I'm not sure how we were supposed to know that by "great" you meant "able to fill stadiums". To me, they are two completely different things. Regardless, other than Metallica and G'NR, I don't think any of the bands on your list could or ever did fill a stadium by themselves.

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Michael, you aren't getting it...sure there are bands that could fill stadiums in small unheard of countries but I'm talking about a countries that have an effect on the world economy...
;)

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
I can't believe all of the shitty bands I've seen live since 1995, since none of them have even played in a stadium. :rolleyes
By that logic, The Mummy Returns and Star Wars: Episode I must be great movies, judging by their ticket sales.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Seems like most of the bands you listed came out in the early 90's or even earlier in a couple of cases (GNR, Metallica maybe RHCP too I don't know). You're looking 10 years back on them by this time and they have a history by now.

There are a few bands out there that are popular (not that this qualifies them as great or even good to me) now that could be added to your list 4 or 5 years from now...Staind, Puddle of Mudd or System of a Down for example. They're just too young and have done too little to get a "great band" label by any definition in my opinion, and I don't know if any of them will be around all that long given the way the industry operates today.

The music business isn't set up to produce prolific, or even enduring artists anymore. It's a disposable industry today. Bands hit the scene, strike it big with one or two albums and after that they're more or less tossed aside in favor of the next big thing or worse, "sound-alike bands".

Incubus is a perfect example of this. Their sales are down, there are sound-alike bands galore getting signed with one, Hoobastank, already eclipsing them on the radio and on MTV. Doesn't bode well for Incubus' future.

ryan_x

Stunt Coordinator
Carl...you make some good points...I totally forgot about Staind and system of a down...they definetely have potential to make the long term haul...I also have a feeling that nickelback will be pretty successful as well...I dont know how big down in the states they are but up here in Canada all their songs go #1...and thats competing with all the mainstream teen audience that usually listens to Hip Hop and the backstreet boys...I will continue on this later...im off to a bar to watch the Toronto Maple Leafs kick some butt.

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
...and when i mean good bands im talking about the type of bands that you will still be hearing there songs on the radio 10 years later
I think Ryan was pretty clear on what he meant, and I wonder that same thing. Who are the newer bands that are creating the "classics" of 2012 now?

Van Patton

Second Unit
Dave Matthews Band has hit it big since 1995 and can play some very good music. It does attract too many dumb teeny-boppers though.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I got one: BECK
He always has talent for getting a really diverse group of musicians together for his albums with some rotation.
Very creative and the music makes me want to dance. Midnight Vultures in permanent heavy rotation on my stereos.
:D

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
DMB had already released 2 albums and an EP by 1995. They also had a sizeable cult following by then. I wouldn't consider them a post-1995 band.

While I would hope Beck is around for a long, long while, his biggest hit, Loser, was from '94 if I remember correctly.

Who are the newer bands that are creating the "classics" of 2012 now?
I guess it depends on your definition of classics. Do you mean radio hits?

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Problem is, if it's not on MTV, then it doesn't exist.

A couple post 1999 bands that SHOULD be big, IMO, but don't get much, if any MTV airplay (as far as I can tell):

Queens of the Stone Age

The White Stripes

PJ Harvey

Liz Phair

Filter (though their second album wasn't as great as the first)

Bands you've probably never heard of that I think are the absolute best:

Home (from Florida)

The Olivia Tremor Control/The Circulatory System (Georgia)

Dickweed (Seattle)

Thin Acid Angel (San Francisco)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks