What's new

Great news Barbra Streisand fans! (1 Viewer)

JasonLH

Grip
According to Ms. Streisand's official site, the following specials will be released on DVD in 2002:

My Name is Barbra

Color Me Barbra

The Belle of 14th Street

A Happening in Central Park

Barbra Streisand and Other Musical Instruments

Putting it Together: The Making of the Broadway Album

One Voice

The Concert

Perhaps will we see all her specials in a box set.

It's a great day for Barbra fans (and I'm sure there are one or two of you here).

Cheers,

Jason

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Also according to Fox, Hello Dolly is in the works for 2002.

Now if only we could get Warner to give us What's Up Doc!

-dave

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
This is great news! It's made my day. If she's in any way involved, I know it will be done just right.
Frankly, I can easily live without stuff like What's Up Doc? and The Main Event but I want Yentl and Nuts.

Larry Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
Thomas T:

If I'm not mistaken MGM is working on a Yentl DVD for release in 2002 (it's a United Artists film).

Nuts as well as What's Up Doc is a Warner Bros. title. Hopefully, when the others are released, Warner will release their's as well.

Warner Bros. doesn't seem to initiate anything on their own anymore!

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Don't give up your day job just yet, Mr. Grosskopf! A few more years on the comedy club circuit and then maybe you'll be ready for the big time.

John P Grosskopf

Second Unit
Actually, I'm waiting for the 12 hour Babs documentary about the making of PRINCE OF TIDES entitled:
"I Spent a Million Dollars on these Nails and I'm Going to Make Sure They're Overly Conspicuous in Every Shot of this Movie...and the Poster Too)"
It was culled from 600 hours of behind the scenes footage, but was never released because Babs felt the shot on video feature never accuarately captured the color of her finely manicured nails properly. :D
Seriously, I have never forgiven her for Butchering the book PRINCE OF TIDES (one of my faves) and changing the story to focus so much on her character. It removed the heart of the book and became a vanity piece for her...nails and all. :angry:

Larry Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
John:

I'm happy for yuou and all that - BUT WHAT THE HELL DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH THIS THREAD?

IF YOU WANT TO BARF ON BABS - DO IT IN YOUR OWN !!**? DAMN THREAD!

Thank you kindly!!!

John P Grosskopf

Second Unit
Have we lost our senses of humor? :frowning:
I did use smilies. :)
I'm even keeping my day job just in case. :D
While we're discussing Bab's work on video (back to topic, not humor now), where is a Criterion version of Prince of Tides? A few years ago it was coming on laserdisc, but Babs it had shelved.
The story goes that she had second thoughts and threatened to sue if the discs reached consumers because the commentary she recorded (and had originally green-lighted) made her look like a control freak. Criterion lost out big time on this one due to her unilateral decision.
At least it didn'r make her look like a control freak. :D (That's back to humor BTW).

Larry Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
John:

Prince of Tides! Wrong again!

The official story goes that Babs had the final say on the finished project on LD, mastering, commentaries, ...

Prior to letting her review the finished product, Criterion mastered and pressed the disc.

She refused this version since they didn't follow the agreed upon contract.

Once everything was worked out, Criterion released the approved Streisand Prince of Tides on LD.

The reason I know this, is because I OWN a copy.

John P Grosskopf

Second Unit
Let me clarify, as I was referring to the first pressing, which had to be destroyed by the boxful by Criterion. When I wrote to Crterion when the title was delayed, I was told the delay had to do with reediting the commentary track to please Babs.

She had given her approval (perhaps verbally) and Criterion pressed the first run of the disc. The eventual product was exactly the same transfer, but had the commentary re-edited to please Babs for the reasons stated above. Criterion ended up losing big time because much of the profit was eaten up by having to destroy the first run of product.

As far as Babs and P.O.T., I also remember reading somewhere that she called up the TV network that showed it and told them to turn up the volume as she was watching it at home.

How does Babs across in the released commentary?

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Actually, according to the story, Babs called the network to complain that the sound on the commercials during PRINCE OF TIDES was excessively loud compared to the sound levels of the film. I believe she felt they kept destroying the mood of the film because the levels were so haphazard.

Of course, the way you choose to distort it is a lot funnier.

And Pat Conroy, who wrote the book ( and co-authored the screenplay ), has publicly expressed his total satisfaction with the finished product. This does not invalidate any opinions of the film in any way, but it does indicate that the original author shares a large portion of credit / blame for the film version.

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
Just thought i would revive this to see if anyone has any further information on the Specials being released to DVD. It would be a nice thing...thanks.

bob

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Whatever you think of her, (and she isnt my favorite, i must say, though i admire her talents)

those were critically acclaimed, Emmy award winning CBS

specials, and it would be great to have them on DVD.

Especially the first one.

So, what happened to them? 2002 is long gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks