What's new

Great movies that you may not have seen... (1 Viewer)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I'll second the recommendations of Runaway Train and Black Robe. :emoji_thumbsup:

Also, two road movies from Icelandic director Fridrik Thor Fridriksson:

Children of Nature - An old man and an old woman cross paths in a retirement home and realize that they know each other: they grew up in the same remote village. Finding their surroundings unbearable, they set off on a pilgrimmage to their long-ago home. Features stunning imagery of Iceland and a cameo by a character from a certain Wim Wenders film.

Cold Fever - A young Japanese man travels to Iceland to perform a ritual for his parents who died there while on vacation. Along the way, he meets lots of eccentric characters, including a larcenous American couple (Lili Taylor and Fisher Stevens) and a chick who's hobby is photographing funerals.

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
Leary was awesome in it

"But if I ever find out that you laid your hands on that little girl again, me and Mr. Mantle are gonna pay you a visit my friend."

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
It's been mentioned a few times, but I'd like to highly recommend Equilibrium. I was shocked at how good this film was. One of my favorites. This forum is the reason I watched it for the first time.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I always see A Midnight Clear mentioned highly in these threads, but it's probably my least favorite film from Keith Gordon, though still very good. I like Waking the Dead better and Mother Night easily the best.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Some that immediately come to mind are:

Dog Soldiers
The Duelist
Two Days in the Valley
Get Carter (Sly Stallone)
The Day Reagan was Shot
Eye See You
The Tie That Binds
Citizen X
Ticket to Heaven
The Stickup
The Badge
Killing Zoe
Bad Day at Black Rock
I Died a Thousand Times (remake of "High Sierra" with Jack Palance)
The Man of a Thousand Faces
The Lost Battalion
The Last Command

larry mac

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
larry mac
ChuckSolo,

Two Days in the Valley was a pleasant surprise. It's fairly unknown, but I'll watch anything with Charlize Theron now. If there are any of her fans out there that haven't seen Reindeer Games, get going and fast.

If you like Get Carter, how about Payback (with Mel Gibson, James Coburn, Chris Khristoferson [sp?]).

Some of those are pretty obscure!

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
Larry, yeah, "Reindeer Games" was excellent, and Charlize was great as the Femme Fatale!! Check her out in "The Astronaut's Wife" if you wanna see her get racy!!! Yes, some of those movies are pretty obscure, but are really quite good. I want to rescreen "The Last Command" before the new version of "The Alamo" comes out. I have seen John Wayne's version so many times I can recite dialogue!! It stars Sterling Hayden as Jim Bowie, Arthur Hunnicutt as Davey Crocket and Richard Carlson as Colonel Travis. It is actually really good and there are some great performances by classic character actors, Ernest Borgnine being one of the best. Check it out. Not sure it it is on DVD yet, but I have seen it on VHS....b&w only. "The Lost Command" is a great WWI movie and completely changed the way I think about Rick Schroeder as an actor; I have new found respect for him!!

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Before Sunrise (originally shown at the Sundance Film Festival)

Ethan Hawke & Julie Delpy star in a pretty adult, smart, honest (almost, but not quite feeling like an ad libbed documentary), and touching look at "mutual trust, friendship, bonding, companionship, and then possibly (maybe) love at first sight" between two twenty-something strangers during a day's strole in Viena's side streets without the usual Hollywood cliches and banal "teen-flick" air (thank God!)-- Siskel & Ebert also gave it "Two Thumbs Up!" Gene Siskel was usually known to savage these types of romance flicks, but thought Before Sunrise was instead refreshing. Of note, almost all of the various colorful characters the two meet are locals with no formal movie experience (the filmmakers came across them during location scouting), and much of the dialog is "on the fly."

The rest speak for themselves:

David Lean's version of Great Expectations

Jean Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast (if for any reason, see it for the absolutely haunting visuals!!)

The Day The Earth Stood Still (still telling to this day!!)

Alfred Hitchcock's The 39 Steps & The Trouble With Harry

Dan

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
-The Color Purple(Dont want to, I dispise Oprah)
-Lawrence Of Arabia
-Casablanca
-To Kill A Mockingbird
-Manhattan
-Nashville
-400 Blows
-Time Bandits
-Das Boot
-Bridge on the River Kwai
-A Fish Called Wanda(Never got arond to it, and Im a huge Python fan)

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
Okay, when Casablanca gets mentioned in a thread about "lesser-known" movies, something has gone seriously wrong.

AlexanderS

Second Unit
While not unknown, I think "Spaceballs" doesn't get enough credit. Its the best parody of a movie ever. Ever!

"Super Troopers". Probably the funniest movie I've seen in the past year or two.

While not technically a movie, "Helen of Troy" was outstanding. It was originally a miniseries on CBS I think. If were lucky, the new Troy movie will live up to this.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Another seemingly little-known gem:

Champagne for Caesar

This 50s comedy stars Ronald Colman and Vincent Price. Colman is an unemployed brainiac to whom Price gives the brush-off. Price owns a television quiz show on which a contestant's money is doubled every time a trivia question is answered correctly. Colman goes on the show determined to break the bank and Price. Art Linkletter is the game show host and Colman's nemesis; he's also in love with Colman's sister. Not a great movie, but a good one, and worth seeing to see Price and Colman in a comedy.

"Can I have your autograph Mr. Hogan?

Why do you want his autograph? One X looks like another."

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I haven't seen that film, but Colman can be seen in a truly great comedy - Talk of the Town, and Price can also be seen in a truly great comedy - Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid. Price can also be seen in a not so great comedy - The Brady Bunch Hawaiian vacation episode. :)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
two recent blind buys i found VERY entertaining, and i don't see ever being talked about;

Sahara -great desert tank WWII movie with Humphrey Bogart. reminded me a little of the old RKO film The Lost Patrol.

Happy Accidents romantic (comedy?) Marissa Tomei gets involved with Vincent D'nofrio who may or may not be from the future. i loved this film, except for it A.D.D. cinematography (hand held camera that is frequently bobbing and weaving and shots that only last 20 seconds. i loved the characters and the premise and the script, but i had to fight the cinematography the whole time to stay with it).
ultimately charming, and worth a recommendation- espeically if you are a fan of either of the leads.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I haven't seen that film, but Colman can be seen in a truly great comedy - Talk of the Town, and Price can also be seen in a truly great comedy - Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid.
Well, color me :b

Anyway, George, you might want to search out CFC (it's on DVD). I posted a review of it in Expanding Horizons some time ago.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
A recent film that seems to get no play is All the Real Girls. Perhaps I'm a fool for Zooey Deschanel, but I LOVED the film.

Bruce

DerekJohnson

Auditioning
Here is one that I just watched this weekend and thought was really good. A foreign film called The Eye. I would sum it up as a foreign The Sixth Sense .
[c]Quick Summary [/c]

When a young girl, Mun (Lee Sin-Jee), undergoes a corneal transplant to correct her blindness, she not only receives the gift of eyesight, but second sight as well: She can now see ghosts. To exorcise the demons tormenting her, Mun looks into the life of the person who donated the corneas and unearths a deep mystery that she becomes desperate to solve.

Eric Ryon

Auditioning
super funny movie that most don't know about: American Movie
and another one, a great drama: American History X

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks