1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Great deal on Sony plasma KDE42XS955, how is this TV?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by JerryMa, Nov 16, 2005.

1. JerryMa

JerryMa Stunt Coordinator

I can get one for a really good price, practically wholesale, but the timetable is short. How does Sony compare to Panasonic or Pioneer?

2. Arthur S

Arthur S Screenwriter

That model is as good as it gets. If the price is right, get it. Be aware, Sony has exited the plasma market in the US.

3. Perry Jonkheer

Perry Jonkheer Second Unit

Sony has exited the plasma market because their sets never stacked up to the competition. Especially at their price points which leaned towards the higher portion of the poll. I would get a panny or pioneer over this sony any day. As far as bang for the buck, it doesn't get much better than Panasonic or LG. Check 'em out...

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I looked at the 37xs955. I could have gotten it for less than 50% of MSRP. I passed for 2 reasons. 1) It uses something called Alis to essentially reproduce a 1024 vertical pixel count with only 512 actual pixels. Or something. Anyway, because of that, the blacks are not so great. 2) Over on AVS, it has the same reported changing black level problem the Panasonics have. OK, so I'll just buy a Panasonic instead.

5. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

JerryMa,

what kind of price are you looking at?