What's new

Great Deal on RPTV (Hitachi 53SBX01B) (1 Viewer)

Jack Fanning

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Fanning
Since I'm new to the forum, I thought I'd try to add something since I've learned so much over the last coupla weeks of lurking. The Hitachi 53SBX01B RPTV is listed for $1,799.99 at this site.
http://www.xtremeshopper.com/xtreme..../View/53SBX01B
After reading so many great reviews for this set, I'm pretty excited about this deal. Plus the fact that Sears carries this product ($2,199) and will match internet deals and they are having a 2 day no-interest-for-a-year deal coming up this Sun and Mon 2/18-19.
I think I'll take 'em up on this deal, hope it helps someone else too!
Jack

Bill_M

Agent
I don't want to rain on your parade but putting that money toward an HD capable set might be a better idea. You'll get a line doubled NTSC picture- which makes a great difference- and won't have to buy a new set when you are ready for HD.

KyleS

Screenwriter
Jack that is a great Analog RPTV, probably one of the best. Just a slight step down in picture quality as you really have to look to see the scan lines, but I must agree that you might want to look at an HD capable TV. I believe you can get the HD version for right around $2500. I know my parents just bought this set but they live WAY out in the country and it will be ages before they get HDTV or pay the money for a progressive DVD or HDTV sattelite. :) Best of luck though on your decision,
KyleS
------------------

Jack Fanning

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Fanning
Kyle,
You guys are absolutely correct on the better quality of the HD sets of course, but you mentioned $2,500, and the Hitachi can be had for $1,799. Alas...$700 difference is a great deal of money in my limited budget. And $2500 appears to be entry level for these HDTV's.
Forgive my ignorance as I'm new to this RPTV game, but am I correct in assuming that when HD broadcasts do come online widely, I would have to purchase a receiver and other gear to decode it for the HDTV capable set? Doesn't this cost upwards of $500 or so?
I just don't get the argument for it, except maybe where Bill mentioned the line-doubled NTSC, is that basically where the extra $700 would come into play? I can safely say if money were no object, I would certainly pony up the extra $700-$1,000, but since it's not, I guess I will have to settle for the analog set, are there others that are having this dilemma?
Jack

Dave IW

Auditioning
I recently got the Hitachi 43FDX01B (the HD model) and the picture is really excellent. The brightness and wide viewing angle of the Hitachi sets - really great. And unless you are stuck on the bigger size this set was $1700 on sale at HH Greg. This would fit your budget (as it did mine) and I really think you should not sink nearly $2K into something that will not have a 7 year future. Analog TV's don't!
As a side note, I have had a problem getting a Pioneer Elite Progressive DVD player to work. I eventually took it back and took a regular DVD player.

ScottL

Agent
Dave,
Just as a FYI..the problems with the progressive scan inputs into the Hitachi's has been recognized bt Hitachi. A service tech will need to be called over to install two small capacitors onto the video board. The sets would blank out from 2-5 seconds when going from a dark scene to a very bright scene. More info can be found at http://www.hometheaterspot.com under the hitachi section.
I have my tech coming over today to fix the issue. :)
Later,
Scott

Jeff_N

Agent
Just remember, Sears will match internet pricing, but Best Buy will also BEAT local pricing. That means, you just match at Sears, and take the price to Best Buy. I had them price out the Sony 53HS10. Sears matched at $2350, and Best Buy countered with $2175.
And from what I have read, this TV is vastly superior to the Hitachi set. (Even according to my friend at Circuit City.) BTW: He said that the price Besy Buy quoted was less than their cost.
Again, this is with a Sony. I don't think that Best Buy carries Hitachi.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks