What's new

Great B&W shows still not on DVD (1 Viewer)

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
This thread brought to you by: Neil Brock
Not in any particular order
1. The Defenders
2. East Side/West Side
3. 77 Sunset Strip
4. Ben Casey
5. Bus Stop
6. Dr. Kildare
Take it away HTF members!!

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
In addition to 77 Sunset Strip, we also need these detective shows:

Hawaiian Eye
Surfside 6
Bourbon Street Beat

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Seconded on BUS STOP and 77 SUNSET STRIP, and I'd add:
SUSPICION
WAY OUT
PANIC! / NO WARNING
BUS STOP
THE ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR
GREAT GHOST TALES
THE WESTERNER
STONEY BURKE
SCIENCE FICTION THEATRE (1st season)
WORLD OF GIANTS
77 SUNSET STRIP
DOBIE GILLIS
THE ROGUES
KLONDIKE / ACAPULCO
WICHITA TOWN
MR. ADAMS AND EVE
SAM & FRIENDS (very early Muppets)
Foreign section (out on DVD in their countries of origin, but without english options):
ULTRA Q (1966, Japan)
RAUMPATROUILLE ORION (1966, Germany)

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Add:
The Alaskans
The Dakotas (great series, hugely overlooked)
12 O'Clock High
San Francisco Beat (The Lineup)
Black Saddle
Track Down
The Thin Man
Phillip Marlowe
The Asphalt Jungle

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard V /t/321054/great-b-w-shows-still-not-on-dvd#post_3931263
Add:
The Alaskans
The Dakotas (great series, hugely overlooked)
12 O'Clock High
San Francisco Beat (The Lineup)
Black Saddle
Track Down
The Thin Man
Phillip Marlowe
The Ashphalt Jungle

That's a great list, Richard. As was your first and the others that have been mentioned. I'd be in for almost every one of those shows. I'll give this some thought and add some I'd like to see that haven't been mentioned yet.

Gary "what gets me is how many are still out there awaiting an initial release" O.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I'd certainly enjoy seeing "The Lineup" because having seen some low quality recordings as well as the theatrical film of the same name (which really only utilizes the TV cast to a small degree), I'm fascinated by the location filming aspect of it, showing SF in the 1950s (just as "Streets Of San Francisco" is a time capsule of the city from two decades later).
A plug for my #1 B/W grail "Sheena, Queen Of The Jungle" in this thread too. :)

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Gary OS said:
     Quote:
That's a great list, Richard.  As was your first and the others that have been mentioned.  I'd be in for almost every one of those shows.  I'll give this some thought and add some I'd like to see that haven't been mentioned yet.
Gary "what gets me is how many are still out there awaiting an initial release" O.
wapld5.jpg
I'd be in for most of those as well. Some would be blind-buy's but they all look
fk4ifp.jpg
to me.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
More:
Hong Kong
The Gallant Men
The Lieutenant
The Americans
Way Out
The Islanders
Gunslinger
Saints and Sinners
Cain's Hundred
Telephone Time
The Big Story
Outlaws
The Grey Ghost
Boots and Saddles
Men of Annapolis
West Point Story

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
How about all the Anthology series produced in that time. I'm not real keen on the live ones, but I'd love to see many of the filmed ones. For instance, Fireside Theatre is one I'd love to see get a release.

Gary "not big on the stuff that has a 'Broadway'-like feel to it" O.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Gary OS said:
How about all the Anthology series produced in that time.  I'm not real keen on the live ones, but I'd love to see many of the filmed ones.  For instance, Fireside Theatre is one I'd love to see get a release.
Gary "not big on the stuff that has a 'Broadway'-like feel to it" O.
Wow Gary, you're right there are soooo many great ones: Studio One and Playhouse 90 probably the two best known, but so many others, Schlitz Playhouse, Ford Theater, Four Star Theater, GE Theater, Philco Playhouse, Armstrong Circle Theater, Goodyear Playhouse, Desilu Playhouse, and others I can't remember off the top of my head. Would love for these to be released as well.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Add:
Rescue 8
Ripcord (For that manner ALL of the ZIV Series)!
Whirlybirds
And for that manner I want Classic Media to release
THE ENTIRE NINETEEN SEASONS OF LASSIE!!! :f
Pity you cannot enlarge the "Smilies"! :laugh:

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Lassie would be wonderful and I'd be forking money hand over fist for anthology programming like Studio One. Come to think of it, I argue a golden opportunity to release GE Theater was missed last year to tie in with the Reagan centennial. Darn shame.
So many great shows, wish more studios and licenseers would give them a shot.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately those anthology shows just have a myriad number of problems preventing their release. CBS at one point had thoughts of doing something with Playhouse 90, the biggest and best of all of them but they just ran into clearance issues which are insurmountable. Likewise TMG had thoughts of all of the filmed Universal owned ones like GE Theatre, Schlitz Playhouse, etc. but there were too many issues to deal with. Really quite a shame as IMO, anthologies are the best types of shows because of the variety of stories they offer. That's one of the reasons that I love the early 60s dramas in that while they went to permanent stars the stories were still very much anthologies with the weekly leads being peripheral to the stories.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
What kind of insurmountable clearance problems exist for anthologies compared to other shows? If that's a general kind of problem, how come it hasn't affected sci-fi anthology shows down through the years?

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Neil Brock said:
Unfortunately those anthology shows just have a myriad number of problems preventing their release. CBS at one point had thoughts of doing something with Playhouse 90, the biggest and best of all of them but they just ran into clearance issues which are insurmountable. Likewise TMG had thoughts of all of the filmed Universal owned ones like GE Theatre, Schlitz Playhouse, etc. but there were too many issues to deal with. Really quite a shame as IMO, anthologies are the best types of shows because of the variety of stories they offer. That's one of the reasons that I love the early 60s dramas in that while they went to permanent stars the stories were still very much anthologies with the weekly leads being peripheral to the stories.
The Richard Boone Show pops to mind. Great program.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
I'd love to see that one released too, Richard. A brilliant and very unique show, sounds like something ideal for Timeless to do having already done his Medic show.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Richard V said:
More:
Hong Kong
The Gallant Men
The Lieutenant
The Americans
Way Out
The Islanders
Gunslinger
Saints and Sinners
Cain's Hundred
Telephone Time
The Big Story
Outlaws
The Grey Ghost
Boots and Saddles
Men of Annapolis
West Point Story
The Gallant Men is coming later this year. Here is a response from WA to the question posted yesterday on Facebook:
"Yes, you'll be seeing THE GALLANT MEN from us this year. We were just taking a look at package designs yesterday... :)"

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Korstick /t/321054/great-b-w-shows-still-not-on-dvd#post_3932068
The Gallant Men is coming later this year. Here is a response from WA to the question posted yesterday on Facebook:
"Yes, you'll be seeing THE GALLANT MEN from us this year. We were just taking a look at package designs yesterday... "

I'm very happy to hear this for the sake of fans of this show. Always glad when any b/w show is released. But I have to wonder why this show is coming before so many of the more popular, well-known series that the WB owns. Seems like a strange choice to me.

For any that are familiar with it, was this series shot on location with plenty of open air, outdoor scenery? Or was this mostly a studio, set-bound show?

Gary "not too sure I'll be interested in this one" O.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Gary OS said:
     Quote:
I'm very happy to hear this for the sake of fans of this show.  Always glad when any b/w show is released.  But I have to wonder why this show is coming before so many of the more popular, well-known series that the WB owns.  Seems like a strange choice to me.
For any that are familiar with it, was this series shot on location with plenty of open air, outdoor scenery?  Or was this mostly a studio, set-bound show? 
Gary "not too sure I'll be interested in this one" O.
They do have other B & W shows in the works. This one has been mentioned by them for awhile. I think its coming for the following reasons: WWII stuff is still pretty popular, there are not alot of WWII shows. This one has not been seen on TV for a long time so alot of potential sales for all of the above reasons. Just as Western fans are willing to blind buy many obscure Westerns like the ones released by Timeless Media I think they feel this one will get many blind buys from WWII fans.
I actually haven't seen it either but its a purchase for me being a WWII movie and TV fan and lets face it there are very few WWII shows. As far as the scenary question from the clips I have seen on youtube it looks to be a combination of outdoor filming and studio sets much like Combat. The show premiered the same year as Combat in 1962 and both seem to be similar shows. The difference was Combat was set in Normandy and The Gallant Men was set in Italy. Combat was renewed the following year and went on for 4 more seasons but The Gallant Men only lasted the intial season.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks