What's new

Great article on all the post format war doomsaying... (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
For the next three months starting in April, I decided to list the titles that I'm considering buying whether on SD DVD or Blu-ray. As you can see my taste in film is rather broad since I'm one of these people that can watch a film silent like "Phantom of the Opera" in the morning then later that evening pop in "Transformers" in HD.;) Anyway, I won't stop buying SD DVDs if I feel the title in question will never make it onto BR or at least in the foreseeable future.
  • The Bette Davis Collection Volume 3 SD DVD
  • Bette Davis Centenary Celebration Collection SD DVD
  • Woody Woodpecker and Friends Volume 2 SD DVD
  • Easy Living SD DVD
  • The Major and the Minor SD DVD
  • Midnight SD DVD
  • She Done Him Wrong SD DVD
  • Fall of the Roman Empire SD DVD
  • Hidalgo BR
  • Unbreakable BR
  • A Passage to India BR
  • First Knight BR
  • Juno BR
  • The Bridges of Madison County SD DVD
  • The Big Trail SD DVD
  • Fox Western Classics: The Gunfighter, Garden of Evil & Rawhide SD DVD
  • Frank Sinatra: The Golden Years SD DVD
  • Sergeants 3 SD DVD
  • Day of the Outlaw SD DVD
  • The Gunfight at Dodge City SD DVD
  • Man of the West SD DVD
  • Man with the Gun SD DVD
  • The Westerner SD DVD
  • The Way West SD DVD
  • The Secret Invasion SD DVD
  • The Secret of Santa Vittoria SD DVD
  • Thief of Bagdad SD DVD
  • Three Stooges Collection Volume 2 SD DVD
  • The Fire Within SD DVD
  • The Devil's Own BR
  • Twister BR
  • National Treasure BR
  • Rambo: First Blood BR
  • The Furies SD DVD
  • High Noon SD DVD
  • Popeye the Sailor Volume 2 SD DVD
  • Man of a Thousand Faces SD DVD
  • Patton BR
  • Dirty Harry: Ultimate Collector's Edition BR

The following are BR titles that I would've bought if Fox was more reasonable in their pricing for catalog titles on BR. It isn't that I can't afford them, but rather the principle of the matter.
  • Commando
  • Predator
  • Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
  • Master & Commander
  • The Longest Day
  • The Sand Pebbles

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I always thought that HDM would be the more expensive brother to SD DVD with a market penetration greater than LD, but well short of SD DVD or VHS. Also, that BR and SD DVD will co-exist for a long time. The point of the studios giving us more titles to be excited about is well taken, they simply can't live off of new titles only with their BR releases because they're simply not enough good films of that kind to sustain this new format. Fox has some titles that I really like, but not at their price structure. Warner needs to add on more titles besides the Dirty Harry and Twister films. Sony, Paramount and Universal need to do something for the second of this year too.

Crawdaddy

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

Agreed.

We went through the same thing with DVD too. Nothing new. And we got all our classics in good time.

I'm baffled by some folks seeming to think that HDM needs to present a fully mature/adopted product day-one without allowing any time/room for a growth-curve (like they did with DVD).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Which members are saying that? Let's not mistake impatience for classics on BR to expecting the same amount of releases that SD DVD is giving us now. As we are asking to give BR and the industry some slack to respond to the market, can't we do the same to early adopters towards the industry, who happen to be classic film lovers?

Crawdaddy

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
They (the studios) can't suddenly release every movie ever made instantly. I would rather they take their time and get it right, than to quickly release stuff with current masters etc.

They need to get the money coming in via the "blockbusters" and new releases before they can afford to start revisiting the older movies. To expect otherwise doesn't make sense to me.

It took the DVD format many years before studios got to the older movies. But now, with Blu-Ray, it seems that a lot of people already expect them to have all these titles available

Give it time folks. Geesh.

On a slightly different note I have noticed the #1 movie on amazon right now is the Blu-Ray version of "I am Legend". It has been at the top the last few days. I think it is a good sign that a BR movie is beating out standard dvds.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
There will always be a market for Blu-Ray.

Laserdisc survived nearly 20 years with practically no market acceptance.

If Laserdiscs survived, you can be damn sure Blu-Ray is going to rock for many years to come:)

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
You don't even want to bother with ways to try to help hi-def make it big? Then really, there's no need for you to post here. With console add-ons making up 30%-50% of HD DVD players, and "Transformers" the #1 HD DVD, the demographics were poor for classics on both sides. It doesn't help that the primary HD download services are, if anything, skewed to the demographics you disparage. We have a chance to be productive about where HDM can go, no matter how small. But if you don't want that, in seems that your only purpose to post in these threads is to be negative. And I can't say you're being a "realist", because you either ignore or don't know the realities, and others (such as the admins) with more info are at least willing to put on the enthusiast badge.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I had forgotten about the National Treasure films and Passage to India. Defiantly adding those to the list on Blu-ray.

I agree that I'll be buying SD DVDs for some time to come. I'm far too big a fan of film noir and 50s westerns to pass them up just because they aren't on HDM.

BTW which version of Thief of Bagdad is that?

Doug

FrancisP

Screenwriter
That was not proven nor disproven by what happened. The marketplace was short-circuited by Sony's payoffs at the end and probably at the beginning. The marketplace for hd is not going to develop as quickly as sd because sd still provides a more than acceptable way of watching movies. This whole notion of consumer confusion was nothing more than an excuse. There is no consumer confusion. One poll in december showed that price was the sole criteria among second wave adopters. A pricegrabber.com poll in January showed again price was the determining factor and that br would have to come way down. When you look at hd-dvd vs bluray disc sales, they were evening out on titles released in both formats.

I do believe that there will be two formats. One will be bluray and one will be
more of a value priced format. That format will develop outside of the US.

The numbers are important. Sony was better at gaming the numbers than Toshiba was. Sony released titles like 20 Million Miles to Earth not because they would sell but they just wanted a lot of product. Even if they don't sell well, they add up. Sony wanted the weekly sales figures to say br 65% and hd-dvd 35%. They know most people aren't going to realize it is because br is releasing more titles to get those numbers. Since Sony does not have that competition anymore, I believe you are going to see fewer classic titles.

Also Close Encounters is a disaster for Sony if it made only a little money. I
have no doubt that Sony's expectations were very high. It certainly would be considered an event title. It begs a question if that doesn't sell on hd, what will? Warner's classic titles on br didn't sell much better than hd-dvd and in some instances hd-dvd sold a few more. Also I think that Star Trek's final numbers were pretty good on hd-dvd.

As to VHS, that certainly was the golden age of home video for me. The number of titles released has yet to be surpassed. The reason was that the
barriers to entry were so low that almost anyone could get in. Third party suppliers provided a plethora of titles. Unfortunately that has not happened with dvd and is unlikely to happen with bluray. I have been scouring ebay for these videocassetes so I can transfer them to dvd. I have bought titles like Dark Side of the Moon, Crash, Cat Creature, Disaster on the Coastliner, and Curse of the Black Widow recently. I still have Who's Minding the Mint, Hanger
18, The Gorgon, The Aliens Are Coming on VHS. I also have tapes from companies like Universal that have not made it to dvd.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Yes, this is what we all film fans/HT-buffs should now do. If you can´t get over the format war and some very unfortunate events that followed (many people "lost" their format of choice), it´s probably best to take some time of from the various forums.

"Uncle Blu-ray" needs you now! :) Join up!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Like I pointed out before, this is very shortsighted thinking. Who said BD production costs will always be higher than HD DVD and DVD?? DVD production costs were pretty high too in the first couple years before economies of scale took over and drove costs down. THIS is why we need BD to gain wider market acceptance *first* before we can expect too much embracing of the smaller market of classic catalog titles. When the production costs come down, that will help make the less popular titles become feasible. That's what happened w/ DVD, and yes, it's become clear that it's even more true w/ HDM.

But part of my point about rallying around the format is that the studios have not actually completely stopped releasing classic catalog titles, have they? And are *you* (and your brethren) going to let them know that *you* (and your brethren) want them to release such by actually going out and buying them and offer feedback wherever/whenever possible (and not only the negative variety nor all this doomsday stuff on the web)? And really, even if you have absolutely no interest in buying the more mainstream popular titles, constantly talking about how BD is doomed, etc. etc. will just scare other people alway rather than help give the format a real chance (so that it might eventually give you what you want).

Have a little patience. If you actually want something out of the format, then do what you can to help it get there rather than working against it w/ all this doomsday stuff. If enough of you doomsayers keep this up, you just might scare off enough of average folk and turn this into a self-fulfilling prophecy...

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Oooooh! I want that one. That was a favorite from my childhood days -- I even saw it in some sort of theatrical re-release way back when and was one of those films that really made a movie lover out of me. Nice to see Criterion getting around to this one.

_Man_

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I still do not own a bluray player so I have this question. There is a lot of discussion about when classics will be released on bluray. Besides any bonus additions, is there really any benefit? Do the original copies look good enough? Weren't movies made in the 60s, 70s , & 80s, filmed on tape and not digitally? So how can the quality be improved upon with bluray?

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

I'll leave it to Doug or someone else to answer this in more detail, but the short answer is that film already has more picture information than can be accurately displayed by Blu-ray Disc, so there is definitely room for improvement. TV shows shot on video tape, such as Miami Vice, or movies shot on less than 1080p camcorders, such as 28 Days Later, may not benefit much or at all. However, it is this very misconception that is going to prove to be a huge hurdle for BD to overcome if mass adoption is going to occur.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

99% of movies shown in theaters have been shot on 35mm film since it was invented by William Dickson and Thomas Edison in 1892. Even films made in the silent days have more information on the original negative (assuming the original negative still exists) than HDTV is able to display.

It is generally accepted that 35mm film has in excess of twice the resolution of 1080p HDTV. Also HDTV has a very limited color space and is incapable of displaying all the colors that can be visible with projected 35mm film.

If you want to be startled, sometime watch Casablanca (1942) or The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938) in HD sometime. Just amazing how much you can see in HD that you just can't see on standard DVD.

Doug

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Miami Vice was actually shot and edited on film. Shooting on film and editing on video tape didn't start until about 1987 or 88. Very few drama shows in the U.S. are or were shot on video tape. Tape was pretty much only used for sitcoms, and even then many sitcoms such as Friends were actually shot on film.

Doug

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Thanks for correcting me. I could've sworn I read here that Miami Vice was shot on video tape. Anyway, that's good to know. I'd love to see that show makes it way to HDM at some point, but the current SD incarnation leaves much to be desired. Without getting too far off-topic, could I be thinking it was shot on video tape because the source for the SD DVDs used some syndicated video tape source?

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member

Strictly in terms of genres and film types I believe that Bd does a good job of representing a wide variety of films. In terms of support for older films (particularly when one eliminates Warner titles for the purpose of looking at the releases from other studios) I am underwhelmed. I realize that it takes years for older films to come out but I think Bd's track record to date is poor in this area.

Blu-ray breakout by decade / era

1957 - 1969 - 10 / 465 - 2.15% - 8 WB, 1 CTS, 1 MGM
1970 - 1979 - 15 / 465 - 3.22% - 9 WB, 2 Anchor Bay/Starz, 2 MGM, 2 CTS
1980 - 1989 - 28 / 465 - 6.02%
1990 - 1999 - 55 / 465 - 11.83%
2000 - 2008 - 316 / 465 - 67.96%
Unknown - Musical / Special Interest mostly - 41 / 465 - 8.82 %

This is based on title information from Download the most complete DVD list on the Web

- Walter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks