What's new

Graphics Cards (1 Viewer)

Northgun

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacob
I'm just curious if there is anyone out there who is using crossfire/sli or did they go with spending more money on a single graphics card? I've been building PCs for quite some time for friends and clients. I generally recommend just spending more on a single graphics card and adding a second later if they want to upgrade. What is everyone else's thoughts? What sort of graphics do you buy and what do you look for in it? Do you PC game or do you need it for calculation heavy jobs?

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
I am normally in the camp of the bit more expensive single graphics card vs the SLI or Crossfire setup. I normally look for the best bang for the buck type cards around the $100-150 mark. I've never been big on getting a second card as an upgrade because you tend to spend more money on an older card than it would cost getting something new that has better performance.

Toms Hardware is a great reference that I normally consult to compare video cards. I find that using their chart at the back of many video card reviews gives a great easy break down of where a certain card ranks. I'm not big into PC gaming I just like a nice card that's going to last and will handle some minor gaming.

Everyone has their brand but I'm normally in the AMD/ATI camp when it comes to type. I've always had good luck with the AMD/ATI cards.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I went with a single card, chosing an ATI-290 series card and calling it good. I've not had a problem with a single game I've thrown at it.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
I buy a single card around the $400 range to get something that will last for several years. My current card is an Nvidia 580. SLI seems to be only for those who want the absolute best at the moment or you want to triple head, something I really would love to try but can't justify the cost. At any given time, two cards will never be cheaper and faster than a single card. At best they will be faster. If you buy a single card today with the plan to SLI later, you are likely to either have that card no longer be available or better off just buying a new card for the same price.

I swore off ATI cards after their drivers made it impossible for me to log into Windows XP and also crashed a lot.

Northgun

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacob
I'll be building my new computer in a couple of weeks now. I'll be going with an AMD processor and a single card in the 400-550 range. I've been heavily leaning towards this card, I absolutely love the Hawaii Architecture. I was expecting just about everyone to be recommending Nvidia and Intel. I guess AMD has been gaining some ground in popularity lately. Its good to see.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks