What's new

Grapes Of Wrath Blu-Ray (1 Viewer)

kingofthejungle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Heath
Hello everyone, new to the forum (though I've been reading it for a while now). I have a question that I thought some of the very knowledgeable people here might be able to answer.
So, I received the Grapes of Wrath Blu-Ray from SAE a couple of days ago, and I must say it's better than the DVD in a lot of ways. The contrast doesn't seem to flicker in the dark scenes anymore, it has nice grain, there doesn't seem to be a speck of dust anywhere in sight, but...
I notice that the left side of the frame seems to be fairly consistently a shade softer than the right side of the frame. Not by a drastic degree, but it is noticeable. Even the softer side looks as good as say, the Blu-Ray of Twelve O'Clock High, but the sharper side is as good as I've ever seen B&W film look on the format. Stunningly sharp. Does anyone know what's causing this? Is it a transfer issue or a film elements issue?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Hi John
Welcome to Home Theater Forum. Hope you enjoy your stay.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
anyone with impulse issues pick this up yet? sort of as a pre cursor to what will be released, this gives plenty of time for a review

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
This to me is a great film that I have no problem dropping $30. It kind of amazes me how much people balk at $30.. I was thinking this because today I went through my attic and came across a STACK of Star Trek:DS9 laser discs.. two episodes a disc, still with the original sticker of $29/each. :) $30 for a classic? Not a problem.

ScottHM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
You won't get any balking from me. Shall I PM you my address so you can send the check?

Originally Posted by mattCR /t/319263/grapes-of-wrath-blu-ray/30#post_3916594
It kind of amazes me how much people balk at $30..

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
No balking, but the June release is going for $19.99 on Amazon. I felt I could wait two months for a 33% savings
David

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
mattCR said:
This to me is a great film that I have no problem dropping $30.   It kind of amazes me how much people balk at $30.. I was thinking this because today I went through my attic and came across a STACK of Star Trek:DS9 laser discs.. two episodes a disc, still with the original sticker of $29/each.  :)   $30 for a classic?  Not a problem.
Screen Archives are now charging $24.95 for The Grapes Of Wrath Blu-ray but your point is valid. I invite people to compare this price with Amazon's current asking price for the Meet Me In St. Louis BRD.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I do have this BRD along with Zorba, but haven't watched them yet. I could've saved some money by cancelling my order once I found out the general release date of June 5th, but decided against it. I will try to view my disc today and report back my thoughts on it.

Crawdaddy

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Gents I was not saying it in a bad way, the fact that I spent an entire release week looking for a single B/M store that had Streetcar in stock, and finding not a single one copy anywhere. How the times have changed, the guy at BB didn’t even know what the hell I was talking about, but oh my they have a whole display covered with HOP.

It was not meant as a crack that some of us on here have impulse issues, well maybe we do but that is ok. I know that on here a lot of discussion is always towards the price point that items are set at. But with business models changing, the way home entertainment is going, you take the good with the bad and move on. I like everyone look for a deal when I can, and sometimes it works to my benefit. Case in point Amazon’s deal on Mad Men; hey if you can knock out an entire season for 9.99 jump on it.

The deal here is the model for SAE, I understand that it isn’t Amazon, so they operate differently, and it also takes in account the exclusives offered by Twilight Time that are going thru that site. For some reason I can say I haven’t felt like I have gotten slighted buy what I have gotten thru them. I was lucky enough to get one of the copies of Fright Night, but not lucky enough to get a signed copy of Journey to the Center of the Earth.

As my wife has told me, it’s my only real hobby anymore, so I am allowed an allowance, so she doesn’t care, and well guess what, she enjoyed the hell out of Bell, Book and Candle, so it was worth the price.

Crawdaddy I am waiting to hear what you have to say, I might have to need this sooner than the Amazon release date, And from that original announcement I wonder what else classic wise Fox has in store; the announcement did say two titles a month.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Grapes of Wrath is the kind of film I have to get in a certain mood to view because frankly, the subject matter is darnright depressing and it doesn't show the human race in a good light. Anyhow, I got in that mood this morning and just got through watching the BR presentation in it's entirety. IMO, it looks very good, now there are a few scenes in which it looks dupey or overexposed, but overall it has plenty of detail in 1080p. It has most of the bonus material ported over from the 2004 DVD release with a Fox Movie Channel presents Fox Legacy with Tom Rothman that gives some very informative details about the film and how it came about from Zanuck purchasing its rights from Steinbeck. I haven't finished that segment, but I expect to later on today. I think most people will be pleased with this BRD.

Edit: Some will complain about the grain and it's heavy in parts, particularly, the opening credits, but it does look film-like.

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Just to give you a comparison from another film from that same era, this BRD isn't as pristine looking as Casablanca. IMO, I don't think the same amount of work was done to this BRD as was done by Warner for the latest Casablanca BRD.

Crawdaddy

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Robert Crawford said:
Just to give you a comparison from another film from that same era, this BRD isn't as pristine looking as Casablanca.  IMO, I don't think the same amount of work was done to this BRD as was done by Warner for the latest Casablanca BRD.
Crawdaddy
Didn't Fox stupidly destroy all or most of their nitrate master negatives some years ago and now must rely on fine grains made in the 50s with the hope they were made correctly? I doubt we will ever see any of their nitrate-era titles look as good as say, STARS AND STRIPES FOREVER on Blu Ray does.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by John Morgan /t/319263/grapes-of-wrath-blu-ray/30#post_3916810
Didn't Fox stupidly destroy all or most of their nitrate master negatives some years ago and now must rely on fine grains made in the 50s with the hope they were made correctly? I doubt we will ever see any of their nitrate-era titles look as good as say, STARS AND STRIPES FOREVER on Blu Ray does.
If that's the case then this might be the best we can look forward to.

RKR1970

Agent
Real Name
Richard Karl Ryan
John Morgan said:
Outside or 30 or 40 "B" titles Fox found nitrate elements on, every thing was destroyed. All 3-strip Technicolor nitrate titles come from CRI's produced in the late 70's.

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
RKR1970 said:
Outside or 30 or 40 "B" titles Fox found nitrate elements on, every thing was destroyed. All 3-strip Technicolor nitrate titles come from CRI's produced in the late 70's.
And I think I can guess a few of them...Dr. Renault's Secret, The Undying Monster and the Chan film Dead Men Tell.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
dana martin said:
From the SAE website
March 14 - Screen Archives announces two new exclusive Blu-ray releases from 20th Century Fox starting with THE GRAPES OF WRATH and ZORBA THE GREEK! There will be two new titles each month all with extras and commentary!
In the original SAE announcement of The Grapes Of Wrath and Zorba The Greek, they promised two new Fox Blu-Rays a month.
Next week, my general release of The Grapes Of Wrath will arrive from Amazon. I know some people did pick up the SAE version. But here it is, the end of the month, and no May releases, and no June announcements.
Does anyone know what happened to this "two new titles"?
David

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by David Weicker /t/319263/grapes-of-wrath-blu-ray/30#post_3931607
Next week, my general release of The Grapes Of Wrath will arrive from Amazon.

Me, too. I have been looking forward to this since Crawdaddy's review back in mid-April.

Odd that amazon doesn't even have cover art posted yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks