What's new

Grammar/Vocabulary ??? (1 Viewer)

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I love right clicks!! You right click on just about anything and a whole menu of options is at your disposal. Whats not to like about right clicking?

Marianne

Supporting Actor
Well, I hope you realise that no one knows how many right clicks are available and when they are used up, the world will end.

Just think about that next time you feel the urge to right click.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
They said the same thing about people who click their pens, and yet still here we are!

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
The left-handed left-clickers are a splinter group that originated in the right-click group. Even though the fundamental ideas are the same, they just could not coexist in the same group. Too much confusion.

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt
I've been right clicking every 108 minutes for a few years now. I'm not sure what will happen if I stop, but I fear it will be really really bad. :frowning:

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I heard a story about someone who has spilled a bowl of salsa on his mouse, thus rendering the right-click useless. It may just be an urban myth though.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I hadn't thought of OCD. I should have, given my experience with it. That would explain a lot.

"Right-click on a Mac, break your mother's back."

I should have told him that right-clicking is okay as long as you do it an even number of times. That would probably have worked for me back when I was captive to OCD. As you all probably know, single action events (like mouse clicks) that lead to the destruction of the Universe usually act as a toggle.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Going back to the OP, how about "broke"?

From a NYT article this morning: "one adviser said the campaign was essentially broke [...]"

The excerpt is from a news article (and a leading, front page story at that), not an editorial or opinion piece. "broke" is awfully informal for that type of story, no?

--
H

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

The guy who cut me off in traffic the other day must be an X Window user. He had the nerve to give me a middle click.

:)

Joe

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I would think "broke" means "out of money and "broken" means " needs fixing" either way it does sound informal. From the little you quoted, I don't know which meaning to use.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Out of money.

Can you imagine a leading news article in the WSJ stating "Bear Stearns is broke"?

--
H

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

That's not the only difference between the NYT and the WSJ. One was formerly the worlds premier news outlet but is now mired in ideology and partisanship which has resulted in scandals, unsustantiated headline stories, and subscribers fleeing like rats from a sinking ship . . . and the other is the WSJ.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks