What's new

Got my X1, what are you using for screen?? (1 Viewer)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Just thought I would give an update about my Da-Lite screen.

It was suppose to be here June 3rd, then when it didn't arrive I called and they told me there was a shipping delay(w/o a reason).
Now I'm expected to get it this friday June 6th...HOPEFULLY!

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
Where did you get your speaker cloth? What size did you end up making the screen?
There is a speaker repair shop in my area. They were kind enough to sell me an 8' length. I set up a 85" diagonal widescreen. I made a simple frame just for testing and found I really didn't like the solution compared to the goo.

Rogelio D

Agent
Hi All!

Wish I would have found this forum two weeks ago. I got my DA-LITE Model C high contrast matte-white 52X92 in yesterday and it looks great with the X1. I just wish I would have purchased a bigger screen.

I should have placed the projecter in an optimum room position/that produced the best image and then got a srcreen to match that, (I could have went with a bigger screen lol).

Now I'm having to figure out a mount for the ceiling to give me some flexibility over the standard stationary factory ceiling mount. Placing it on a coffee table or stand is not an option as the wife wants it out of the way. (she doesn't want to see the cables everywhere either) The projector will be mounted behind the seating area. I was thinking of mounting it on a sliding track on the ceiling to give me some flexibiity with the image. Or maybe the X1 has enough features for image adjustment that I'm not aware of that would allow me to use the stationary mount.

Any tips or links to some X1 mounting would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Regelio:

Check out this thread from a guy that has made a mount specifically for the X1. It is great. His price has had to go up to about $98 but it is very flexible. This is also a great thread on the X1 with examples of how others have mounted the projector and so forth.

Parker

Rogelio D

Agent
Thank you for the reply Parker. That is one long thread!
I may try out my home-made mount before I order one of those, but they definitely would work in my situation.

Thanks again!

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
What is "blackout fabric"? Is that the black border, or is this a material beneath the screen surface?

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Bob, it's the material used for the screen surface.

How much does the Parkland Plastic material weigh?

~T

Dennis Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
Blackout Fabric is what is commonly used for blocking out light from draperies when used as a liner. It is coated with a light rubber type of coating on one side to keep light from showing through onto drapes. This backing helps reduce wrinkling and makes it thicker. It just happens to be readily available at many fabric stores, can be bought in huge sizes, and is matte white on the cloth side that can produce around a 1.1 to 1 gain when used as screen material. It is relatively cheap too!

Mine is 92" by 69" stretched over a DIY frame.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Ron, I tried the same spray paint and not only were the colors muted and somewhat pale, I was also hotspotting pretty bad. I think I am going to give up on the DIY silver and either go goo or stay with my matte parkland. If I had a digital camera I would take a picture.

On another note, I am amazed at the quality of Parkland. It really sharpens up the image unlike a sheet/wall I was using. I received two samples, High Power and High Contrast Matte White, from Da-lite yesterday and I taped them to my parkland screen. My overall opinion is I prefer the Parkland to both of them. The High Contrast seems a bit too dark and the picture lost a little punch, but it did seem to deepen the colors a tiny bit. The High Power is interesting but the viewing cone is so small it is like a whole different screen from one seat to the next. The Parkland by far has the best viewing cone, meaning it is bright and colorful no matter where you are sitting.

In the end I looked at it this way. If I was going to pay 500 bucks for a screen made from these three materials and I had no idea one was 14 dollar Parkland I honestly would probably choose the Parkland and get ripped off for 486 dollars. Thats just my opinion but I bought Parkland as a temp screen until I received my samples to decide which I wanted and now I am convinced Parkland bests the Da-lite offerings. Just keeping you all updated on my progress.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks