What's new

Got My Ultimate Johnny Carson Collection On DVD (1 Viewer)

Page

Stunt Coordinator
Well, it showed up in the mail today (10/4) after being shipped on September 28th. (But $10.99 shipping and handling for media mail? (Ack!) (I live about 30 miles from the distribution center so my package arrived quicker than the usual 7-10 business days wait.)
The "collection" is packaged in a fold-out DVD sleeve/holder like "Absolutely Fabulous" and "The X-Men." I briefly looked at each disc and here's what you get for $79.99 (pre-release price) $89.99 (thereafter):
Disc One--Best of the 60s & 70s; Best of the 70s & 80s; Guest List; Scene Selection; EXTRAS--Studio 1 Backstage (11 scenes showing the workings of the show such as "Monologue Writers" "Backstage With Johnny At the End Of The Show" "From Outside Studio 1 To Johnny's Dressing Room" "Johnny's Rubber Chicken").
Disc Two--Best of the 80s & 90s; Johnny Goes Home (1982 NBC Primetime Special); Scene Selection; Guest List; EXTRAS--"Danger Johnny" (Documentary of Johnny doing his dangerous stunts--parachute jumping, race car driving, etc.); Magazine Covers (Johnny on TV Guide, People, etc.); More To Come Art (Pictures of those cards they used between commecial breaks).
Disc Three--5.21.92 Episode; The Final Show; Scene Selection; Guest List; Biographies (Static screens about Johnny, Ed, Doc, Fred (his death is not mentioned--the DVD must have been mastered before); EXTRAS--Final Show ISO Cams (the show seen from different camera angles); The Johnny Carson Story (documentary about Johnny); History of the Show (static screens about the show); Awards and Honors; Scripts and Notes (script/log of final show; interview questions prepared for Johnny for specific guests (Madonna, Mel Brooks, etc.)
Each disc boots up with a snazzy splash screen. The whole package is presented in stereo (my subwoofer was booming!) Video quality was quite good (as good as can be expected for a DVD transferred from video tape.) Total running time of all three discs is 290 minutes.
Included in my collection was a flyer for the next Johnny Carson DVD releases and coupon/code for five bucks off:
The Tonight Show Comedians--$16.99
Johnny's Animal Hijinks--$14.99
The Carson Club--$24.99 (every 4-6 weeks one DVD containing two shows plus extra material will be sent to your home. Cancel at any time.)
Shipping and handling not included with the above and it was not listed because Johnny doesn't want to scare the hell out of you.
At the bottom of the flyer it states:NOT AVAILABLE IN STORES.
I grew up on Johnny Carson, but I'll pass on future products unless his prices come down. (I wish NBC would offer some of Dave Letterman's shows on DVD, but I'm still waiting for my SCTV DVDs to materialize first.)
I don't know how this collection compares to the LD collection since I don't own it. Ohters that have the LD please post the differences.

Larry Bevil

Second Unit
I have the laserdisc of "The Johnny Carson Collection". It contains two discs for a total length of 200 minutes. Side 1 has "60's and 70's: Heeere's Johnny! Side 2 has "70's and 80's: The master of Laughs". Side 3 has "80's and 90's: The King of Late Night." Side 4 has "The Final Show: America Says Farewell." Based on its high price, I won't opt for the DVD, but will just stay with the laserdisc.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
The final show on the laserdisc does not contain the montage of musical guests that was in the original broadcast ( presumably due to a myriad of music clearance rights) so I assume the DVD does not either.
Completists should be warned.
I do however love the idea of a Johnny -of -the -Month DVD club !

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
I'm glad that I can always watch my Super Beta Hi-Fi original copy of that last show for the musical montage. The original commercials are nice to have as well.
Reed :)
------------------
Link Removed
[Edited last by Reed Grele on October 06, 2001 at 12:47 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks