What's new

got 6,000 to spend on home theater Help me (1 Viewer)

ChadPa

Auditioning
Ok hometheater gurus's need your help. I"m spending 5k on a home theater and looking at different options and want to get your opinions.

First tv-

Thinking either mitsu rear 65" plat series or gold series with a convergance 64pt kit. to dial it in right. around 3k or less.

or a dlp samsung or sony. most people i've talked to say the rear is still the way to go and the dlp doesn't have as many vertical lines as a rear and when a rear is dialed in right you will love it. mitsu is what i'm told is still the best in rear projection. Also i do play video games and don't want to worry about burn in, and i'm told even with a crt type or dlp i have to worry about burn in.

audio

speakers - either klipsch - rf series with a rsw -12 have a friend that can get them direct from klipsch for cost. he personally doesn't like them because he thinks the horns are bright. told me to listen to polk. boston, definative tech. nht. m&K, dynaudio and others.

but price wise the polk are the cheapest i can get. the klipsch reference will still be 2500 at cost with sub. the definative next actually m&K will be around klipsch price.

i listen to john mayer, dmb, and things like that. maily videos, dvd, video games, and then music for parties or stuff. so need something that will work for everything. looking at floorstanding for fronts instead of bookshelf's.

equipment.

looking either at the Harmon stuff around the 670 models or onkyo or dennon or yamaha. don't like the onkyo remote because of a friend having one and how hard it is to work. the dennon somewhat the same way. looking either at a refurbished model on the net real cheap looking for either 6.1 or 5.1 with lots of power around 100 a channel. if i go with the klipsch speakers they have horns so they don't need much power to be run. looking for something that will last for atleast 3yrs or so electronic wise until they come out with something new. Also looking at marantz products. heard they have some great stuff and remotes based around the phillips pronto.

think thats about it. basically if you had 5k to spend what equipment would you get. i want new tv. new speakers. and reciever i'm ok with refurbished but has to have warranty. either online or brick and mortors stores are ok.

i'll probably end up getting my buddies pronto from him as a remote. and i do like the new harmon look, with the black clean face and blue volume knob ring. but i've always heard that with the dlp's being new what's going to happen in 3yrs when the dlp chip goes out. whats that going to cost me. i know i'll be getting the extended warranty on that big of a tv. but the mitsu i can probably get for 3k under for a 65" the samsung which i have looked at and love i can only get in a 43 or 50 for around 3k or less.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
ChadPa --

I have deleted all other copies of this thread. Please do not post the same topic in multiple forums. Thank you.

M.

ChadPa

Auditioning
Sorry i was just making sure everyone seen it. I am picking out this system this weekend. Maybe you could help instead of just deleting my post. I need peoples input or places to get a discount.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

Chad, Michael's job is, among many other things, to assure that bandwidth is not wasted -- no small task on a board that keeps growing and growing and overwhelming server after server. We have strict policy of requiring that posts are located in the correct area and that no duplicate posts are littering the boards.

Meanwhile, I'm sure there are people here who will be happy to help you spend your money wisely. Be patient.

Jon_Krug

Stunt Coordinator
my guess would try the speakers area. majority of ppl that own speakers own a tv and whatever else. just my guess. as far as my opinions, if this is for mostly ht, i think m&k is your best bet (their s-150 set up is great). me, i would skimp a little bit on the tv, as the rest is more important to me. but that is just me. i think there r some decent rptv's under 2g. u should also take a look at onix rocket 750's. their website is www.av123.com
axiom has some great deals as well, and i have heard they r very good for ht. klipsh will tend to be a brighter speaker, so that depends on personal taste.
goodluck.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
It is a bit hard to cover your questions in any detail, as in some cases you appear to have a firm idea already in hand, and in others perhaps not so. Be warned that this may be a bit rambling and disconnected.

You have one firm fact: $5,000 (though your post title indicates $6,000). Now this seems like a lot of money (and it is) but you also have some big ideas on what you want. Nothing wrong with that, but you might think of a bit of a phased approach, instead of buying everything at once. For example get the display that you really want and a receiver that will power the speakers you really want to wind up with. Then buy just the main speakers and perhaps a center channel if there is room left in your budget. When you get some more money get the center—then the surrounds and finally the sub. You should wind up with exactly what you want (within your own limits of course) and without compromise. Just one idea.

Another idea is to consider some of the online companies such as SVS, Axiom, Hsu, Rocket, Ascend, ACI etc. in your product mix. All of these companies have sound reputations and very fine customer service. I believe that you can get real value in the mid-price range offerings.

In any case after reading your post, I strongly urge you to spend some time listening to a variety of speakers before you purchase. Klipsch is an example. Many, many people like the sound and for those who do, they make outstanding products. But many, many people do not care for their sound at all. If you spend some time carefully listening to speakers you will get an idea of the types of sound that appeal to you and will be in a position to make a decision that you won’t regret later.

Yamaha, Denon, HK all make excellent products. So does Onkyo, but you need to be quite careful about trusting their specifications all that much. On the other side, HK typically is very conservative in their power ratings.

There are some more issues you need to consider—such as whether or not you want to go HD right away.. And are you going to use cable, satellite or get your signals over the air (some of these combinations may require additional money for an external tuner) Also you will need a DVD player and cables.

ChadPa

Auditioning
Thanks Guys for your Info. I have a hook up on Klipsch and a hook up on mitsubisi TVs and M&K speakers and I am kina pushing towards a marantz receiver. Thanks again everyone and keep the info coming

Bruce-E

Stunt Coordinator
On the tv question, DLP will not cause burn-in.Samsung dlp gives you native 720p,which matches up with gamming.Samsung 61" goes about $2000 more than your $3000 budget.Samsung 50"is about $800 more than your $3000 budget.If you go with the Mits get the model with quad focus.Think about what you want in a tv down the road,we all have urge to upgrade everything.It's cheaper to make one preminum purchase than two in a short time period. Good luck. Remember what ever looks good to you is the best choice,you will be the one watching it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks