What's new

Got $1500 in my pocket, We're gonna get some sound... (1 Viewer)

Angela_B

Auditioning
Real Name
Angela
Hi everyone,
I've read a lot of info over the past few days (and nights) and am beginning to understand some of this audio language; and, am running out of time as the investment of time is eating into our meager coffer :-O If you could please help me narrow down our best value options, I'd be ever so grateful.
So, the situation is... We have a 22' wide x 14' deep living room w/ 9' ceiling open/adjacent to an identical sized kitchen (we sit on sofa at the 14' mark halfway between LR and Kitchen). After 14 years of pain and suffering, we are finally replacing a 37" tube tele with a new 65" Panasonic plasma Smart TV P65s60 (watch almost exclusively movies and always after lower-energy-cost 6 pm) with horrid sound coming from TV only.
We, obviously, have not engaged in the audio/video enthusiasts' lifestyle in the past, but are looking to invest in a new, 90% HT/ 10% music system which may be expandable in the future. We've checked out the Bose Acoustimass 6 III series at Costco for $750 but before opening the box I noticed there are no tweeters... hence my research began as it occurred to me that we might be able to get an awesome quality, expandable system for just a bit more. We clearly want the best we can get or never would have drooled over Bose for so many years.
In addition, we are looking at either an Ashley TV console, leaving room for floor standing speakers or wall mount speakers. Or, the entire entertainment center with side bookcases and a top bridge thereby limiting to bookshelf speakers for the front.
I am willing to give up the bookcases and case bridge provided that wall mount or floor speakers would provide the greatest sound-bang for our buck and better meet our goals. Plus, we're open to waiting for rear speakers when we can afford wireless add-ons. Surely, $1500 system without rears would blow us away compared to the current Toshiba tv “assault.”
So, my questions is... We have $1500 max and in search of the best beginning HT sound system at that price point.
AV receiver: I am looking into either the Yamaha HTR 3066 (same on comes with the Bose Acoustimass 6) at $299 MSRP or cnet's recommended Sony's STR DN840 at about $450. However, I would prefer to stay around $300 for the receiver and put the remaining $1200 into the sub woofer and/or speakers. After grazing your forum, am considering Onkyo.
Keeping in mind that it would be awesome (although not requirement) to have the option to add 2 speakers ea. for a second & third zone down the road. Which AV receiver do you recommend for us?
Speakers: Was looking at the highly acclaimed Energy Take Classic 5.1 or Monoprice 10565. And now, after gleaning your forum, wondering if floor standing speakers makes more sense. Would the M-Lores provide a better beginning set-up for future awesomeness? Or, do you have a better recommendation?
Subwoofer: No idea. I've read that it's better to, I think, "streamline" the components. Does this mean to keep within the same brand/line.

We have Wii, Dish Network, Macbook, iPad and iPhones
Got any suggestions that meet our needs?
Bottom line, $1500 to invest in great beginning HT surround sound system setup. Just not sure where to start in building a new system.
Thank you so much for your time and effort to rescue us newbies from audio-investment woes.
Angela

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Your future idea of "wireless rear" and "$300 budget for AVR" do not work together.

Here is the cheapest AVR with pre-outs(and the cheapest place to get it "new"...and with an aftermarket warranty if you ever desire)
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MARSR5005/MARANTZ-SR5005-100w-X-7ch-3-D-Home-Theater-Surround-Receiver/1.html

At only $100 more than you planned...not bad. (look at a picture of the rear. For "rear wireless" you need pre-outs for all channels)

As far as the remainder of your budget(will assume here you have $1100 left...not $1200...)

Lava LSP12 ($170 direct from Lava. Not sure if that is a new price, glitch in their system...have no clue. As long as it is $170...there is your choice. Nothing is better under $200.)

Speakers...you have $900-ish left.

Tons of choices.

Polk RTi
JBL ES
HTD Level 3 tower is $900/pair (HTD.com) The Kapton they use makes it worth it to pick up the center later.(Which is $200...not much over your $1500 anyway)

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
"Plus, we're open to waiting for rear speakers when we can afford wireless add-ons. Surely, $1500 system without rears would blow us away compared to the current Toshiba tv “assault.”"

Looks like a good receiver for $400 as recommended above -- leaving 1100 left on the budget for speakers... If going for bookshelf speakers - can have a lot to choose from for your budget...these comes with good sub and matching fronts/center channel...and the price goes up as the sub gets better... Hybrid 1 - 3.1 Package - $919.00 - http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hybrid1pkg.html
Hybrid 2 - 3.1 Package - $1019.00 -- http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hybrid2pkg.html

Going a little over the budget - http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hybrid3pkg.html - $1139.00

All of these packages will greatly improve your bad TV sound....

If you want a higher wife acceptance factor -- you could look into the orb audio offerings - as reviewed on this site -- can go with a 3.1 package for these as well...

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/articles.html/_/equipment-reviews/orb-audio-peoples-choice-system-review-r246

They have a complete 5.1 package for $1,198.00 - so about 100 over your budget....

http://www.orbaudio.com/peopleschoicehometheaterspeakersystem.aspx

Angela_B

Auditioning
Real Name
Angela
Great options Martino!! Thanks. I love the Orb design (I am the wife ;) The Hybrid packages look better (spec wise) than the Orbs or the Pioneers I was referred to and they appear to have a 7 yr warranty:

"Here are the bookshelf speakers $126.99 for the pair: Amazon.com: Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Andrew Jones Designed Bookshelf Loudspeakers: Electronics

Here are the floor standing speakers $124.99 each: Amazon.com: Pioneer SP-FS52-LR Andrew Jones Designed Floor standing Loudspeaker (each): Electronics

And the Center Channel $97: Amazon.com: Pioneer SP-C22 Andrew Jones Designed Center Channel Speaker: Electronics

For the subwoofer, I would look at the SVS entry level model SB-1000 $499: SB-1000 - SVS"

Between the Pioneers and Hybrids, what do you recommend?

Also, I am considering Yamaha A720 or a Marantz 2313-CI or a comparable Denon. What do you think?

Angela_B

Auditioning
Real Name
Angela
schan1269 said:
Your future idea of "wireless rear" and "$300 budget for AVR" do not work together.

Here is the cheapest AVR with pre-outs(and the cheapest place to get it "new"...and with an aftermarket warranty if you ever desire)
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MARSR5005/MARANTZ-SR5005-100w-X-7ch-3-D-Home-Theater-Surround-Receiver/1.html

At only $100 more than you planned...not bad. (look at a picture of the rear. For "rear wireless" you need pre-outs for all channels)

As far as the remainder of your budget(will assume here you have $1100 left...not $1200...)

Lava LSP12 ($170 direct from Lava. Not sure if that is a new price, glitch in their system...have no clue. As long as it is $170...there is your choice. Nothing is better under $200.)

Speakers...you have $900-ish left.

Tons of choices.

Polk RTi
JBL ES
HTD Level 3 tower is $900/pair (HTD.com) The Kapton they use makes it worth it to pick up the center later.(Which is $200...not much over your $1500 anyway)
Hi Sam and thanks!! I am backing off the wireless speaker plans because I learned the ridiculous hassle of that conquest. So with that in mind, what do you think about the Yamaha A720 or a Marantz 2313-CI or a comparable Denon?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The 2313 "is" the Marantz I linked(the main difference between Denon to Marantz is the inclusion of pre-outs and in higher models 12v triggers where the Denon doesn't include it).

Nobody will argue "against" a Yamaha RX-A anything.

However...AVR choice boils down to your needs/wants and nothing more.

Since pre-outs are off the table...what about...

HDMI upconversion(have a Wii or VCR?)
Apple support for ATV and/or Airplay. Or android control apps?
Need/want 2nd zone?

What are you connecting? If you can get away with a super basic 5.1 AVR (http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR1312/DENON-AVR-1312-5.1-Channel-A/V-Home-Theater-Receiver/1.html)...there is no harm buying basic.

Angela_B

Auditioning
Real Name
Angela
"The 2313 "is" the Marantz I linked(the main difference between Denon to Marantz is the inclusion of pre-outs and in higher models 12v triggers where the Denon doesn't include it)."

That link took me to a refurbished Marantz SR5005. Not sure if that is the same as the 2313 but that would be kinda weird, hu?

I've already ruled out the Denon 2313-CI although the output is greater than Yamaha A720, I liked Yamaha 7.2 rather than Denon.

Not sure which Marantz compares to the Yamaha but the ones on amazon in the same price range are 7.1 also. what is the significance between 7.1 and 7.2?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Denon And Marantz are the same company. Like Chevy to Buick.The .2 simply means you don't have to buy an RCA splitter if you use two subs. There are AVR with separate sub control...but those are all $2000 and up.

Angela_B

Auditioning
Real Name
Angela
So, I read some negative reviews on Denon 2313 but not sure all reviews are valid or competitor plants. So, do you think the Denon 2313, being at 105 and 135 wpc is a better and reliable option than the Yamaha A720? They are almost the same price but the Yamaha has 105 and 90 wpc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks