What's new

3D Gorilla At Large (1 Viewer)

Matt.Koz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Kozlowski
Saw this on tv in anaglyph back in the 80s along with Revenge of the Creature and the 3 Stooges' Spooks. Massive frustration adjusting the color on our tv to optimize the 3d effect...it didn't work. Still cool though. I made my parents drive me all over kingdom come to find a set of glasses. I do miss the days of local independent TV stations. I remember Spooks and Gorilla at Large aired on a special episode of The Movie Loft on Boston channel 38. Good times.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I remember seeing this on channel 31 (then KRBK) back in 1982- it was a double feature with the martial arts movie "Dynasty". Channel 40 had already shown Revenge of the Creature that month, but they made a big deal out of these being 3D in color. The red/blue glasses certainly messed that up a bit but still looked good for the time. I've found I can't watch anaglyphic 3D anymore without just getting frustrated, since I know what GOOD 3D looks like now!

GregK

Screenwriter
I too watched the early1980s 3DTV anaglyphic conversions ..numerous times, and finally in 2003 was able to see GORILLA AT LARGE presented properly in polarized 3-D at the first World 3-D Film Expo.

Night and day difference.

While the red/cyan 3DTV version occasionally hinted at "some" depth, the dual strip polarized version was depth galore in every shot. Colors were always vivid and the image had sharp detail, both which were also absent in the old 3DTV version. It was a totally different 3-D presentation. I was floored, and in that theater in 2003, quickly realized I was watching Gorilla at Large in 3-D for the first time.

Would say the old anaglyph version was the 2D equivalent of watching an 8mm b&w digest of something shot in widescreen 70mm.

A proper 3-D bluray would be a MAJOR eye opener.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I totally concur with those who say this film would be fun and worth a purchase if released in 3-D, but close to useless otherwise. 3-D is the only way I would buy it, cast notwithstanding (a great cast does not a good movie make....there are examples everywhere).

Among our admittedly limited constituency, I add my unconditional support for the release of golden-age 3-D Blu releases by saying that, no matter what the title, if it's done right and is technically well-reviewed, I'll blind-buy it.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Bob Furmanek said:
I should add that it's beautifully photographed in 3-D, Technicolor AND it's in the Panoramic Productions widescreen aspect ratio of 1.66:1.

How can you miss?

attachicon.gif
Gorilla.jpg
How can you not want this movie after seeing this poster? And we all know posters never lie. :rolleyes:

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
RJ992 said:
I know where I'd park my car!

I imagine many young kids who saw the 50' Woman poster back then, waiting in line to purchase tickets in hopes that there would be a wardrobe malfunction in reel 3.

To quote Phil Hartman (as Charlton Heston) from the old SNL sketch where he's doing an audiobook recording of the Madonna sex book: "Couldn't I just say fur-burger?" :D

But I digress.

To get back on topic, I recall seeing an ad similar to this somewhere back in the eighties:

3d_NEW.jpg

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Bob Furmanek said:
Johnny is correct, posters NEVER lie!

attachicon.gif
Attackofthe50ftwoman.jpg
OMG! I think there is no better example of the gulf in quality between the poster and the movie, than this one. The Attack of the 50 Ft. Woman is (IMHO) a stinker of colossal proportions, while the poster is wonderful.

A poster can lie and the movie still be great. Forbidden Planet is one such example. The scene depicted does not occur in the movie, but movie and poster are terrific.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Once owned that exact Wasp Woman one-sheet. Sold it in the mid nineties in an ad I placed in Movie Collector's World. I think it went for $600. Wonder what it would fetch today?

I bought and sold a lot thru MCW in those pre WWW days! Back in the mid eighties, you could still buy an original Godzilla (1956) one sheet for under $100.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I once had a complete lobbycard set to THE MUMMY'S CURSE, mint in the original NSS bag. Paid $100.00 for it and sold it a year later for the same price so I could buy a plane ticket to California. That was around 1977. The trip was fun but I don't want to know what those cards sell for today.

Of course, I also had (and sold) every piece on ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN: One sheet, three sheet, six sheet, 22x28 styles A&B, 14x36 insert, 14x22 window card, pressbook, lobbycard sets - original and 1956 Realart, 1956 40x60. I sold it all in the mid-90's to raise money for 3-D prints.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Reed Grele said:
Once owned that exact Wasp Woman one-sheet. Sold it in the mid nineties in an ad I placed in Movie Collector's World. I think it went for $600. Wonder what it would fetch today?

I bought and sold a lot thru MCW in those pre WWW days! Back in the mid eighties, you could still buy an original Godzilla (1956) one sheet for under $100.

Sold for $1684 in 2014 on one auction web site, $2270.50 on another in 2015.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Bob Furmanek said:
I once had a complete lobbycard set to THE MUMMY'S CURSE, mint in the original NSS bag. Paid $100.00 for it and sold it a year later for the same price so I could buy a plane ticket to California. That was around 1977. The trip was fun but I don't want to know what those cards sell for today.

Of course, I also had (and sold) every piece on ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN: One sheet, three sheet, six sheet, 22x28 styles A&B, 14x36 insert, 14x22 window card, pressbook, lobbycard sets - original and 1956 Realart, 1956 40x60. I sold it all in the mid-90's to raise money for 3-D prints.

I use to collect comic books and I remember Action Comics #1 (I didn't have it) was selling for $25,000 back in the 70's. It sold on eBay for $3,200,000 last year.

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
RolandL said:
I use to collect comic books and I remember Action Comics #1 (I didn't have it) was selling for $25,000 back in the 70's. It sold on eBay for $3,200,000 last year.

I don't think anyone could have predicted how astronomical prices (for everything!) would get. And who would have believed it? I can remember seeing 2001 when it premiered. You know the scene in which Floyd had to make a call to his daughter from the moon? After the call, the charge appeared on the screen...$1.20! The theater erupted in gales of laughter...that seemed so extravagant for a phone call. Those viewing the movie today obviously don't get the joke. They probably wonder "Why so cheap?!?!?"

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Bob Furmanek said:
Johnny is correct, posters NEVER lie!

attachicon.gif
Attackofthe50ftwoman.jpg
Halloween before last I carved Attack on a giant pumpkin. It was the last of 3 giants and I ran out of time, so the carving was incomplete. I'm going to have to revisit it someday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks