What's new

Gord and David will Ask the Studios to Account for their Mistakes (1 Viewer)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member

The thought that disturbs me is the fact that some studios may have this perception of fans where they think that fans might want a piece of the pie so to speak. It's too bad that their mentality is "why bother?".

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Okay, Marco...NOW it's David talking! :D

To address your question about PAL speed-up, I'm going to quote something I wrote within the past 24 hours as part of a similar discussion in "another forum":

So yes, we should talk about these things. And when we get a detailed explanation like BCI was willing to give, it is great to give all of those details to our readers. I think we didn't pay enough attention to discussing that, frankly, and BCI at one point (prior to release!) gave us a super-detailed, super-technical in-depth note about exactly how it all worked, and I don't think we actually used it. We should have. On the other hand, UrbanWorks not only didn't say anything about it prior to release, didn't respond to reviewers asking questions before release, and didn't respond to customer complaints (to my knowledge, anyway) after release...and subsequent releases. For shame.

Robert Cruz

Stunt Coordinator
One explanation I've been waiting to see since it was released is the tag scene being removed from the episode "Ralph's Rival" (Three's Company: Season 4).

Perhaps Anchor Bay can explain that one.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
:emoji_thumbsup:

Thanks for that Dave, I'm in 100% agreement with you!

And for the record... it's one reason why I chose to not support the recent Fat Albert releases, despite the being very highly anticipated prior to news of this technical error.

He-Man on the other hand, sits proudly atop my shelf display.

It's all about making the customer feel as though the money put towards a product is justified by the quality and effort put forth to release it. If a DVD appears to be "thrown together" carelessly and without much thought than customers and potential customers have the right to an explanation since these same studios expect us to open our wallets to fund these ventures. When a studio comes forth and offers insight into these productions as BCI did, and it becomes evident that there was indeed care and effort put towards these propeties and whatever downsides to a release were not simply the result of sloppy oversights, than that shows and makes the customers feel that they are not simply being exploited and that their support and feedback is both valued and appreciated. Whereas a company like UrbanWorks who choses to conveniently ignore and neglect these same issues, sends out a message that their customer support is not deserving of these same courtesies and recognition. Therefore, the customers in turn feel betrayed that they were willing to open their pockets to support these releases, but are instead being exploited for the very gesture. It's all about the relationship between the studio and consumer in understanding what makes for quality product and recognizing the public's perceptions as well. Strong customer serivce relations are key and can often greatly excel or significantly lose out a on a targeted base market, affecting sales of a product. We've all seen it happen before. Faith and trust in a studio on the other hand, can often redeem some of the greatest oversights and product errors, which, for any other company, would spell disaster on a release. It's about sending the message to consumers that their support is not only appreciated, but the reason for these companies and resources to be around altogether. The customers want to feel that their anticipation and excitement over their hobby translates to the studios efforts and that a mutual respect and understanding is born in such relations so that properties which we hold dear, are treated with the respect that we not only feel is deserved, but willing to pay for and expect to receive!

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
OK, who beside me loves the way the BBC is redoing the old Dr. Who stuff? Yeah, it is coming slow, but man does it look good for what it was! I would love to compliment the BBC Restoration guys who pour the love for the show into their work.

Katherine_K

Second Unit
A little off topic...

Gord or David, I'm a little curious about TSoD policy when it comes to the release dates for Best Buy exclusives. I use the release schedual on your site to keep track of what is coming up that I need to go out and pick up. I'm looking forward to Space Above and Beyond and i have to keep reminding myself that it's not listed on the release schedual. Not a huge deal, that's what post it notes are for...

I can understand why you wouldn't want to list with the general releases because not everyone can get them as easily...

... but sort of selfishly I feel all proud when I check something off in my account on your site and see it added to my list of DVDs I own.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
99.999% of items added to the release schedule are done by Gord. I think he just overlooked adding this one. I doubt he has any prejudice against adding BB exclusives...I'm positive, for instance (without running and checking) that Tru Calling S2 is on the release schedule. I reminded Gord about SAAB yesterday, and he will likely add it with his next DVD-adding session, if he hasn't taken time to specially do it already.

Randy_Cre

Agent
I would be very curious to hear the responses regarding Roseanne, Cosby Show, and 3rd Rock from the Sun.

It seems really strange that all 3 are Carsey/Werner shows and all 3 were released with syndication cuts.

I'm not that familiar with all of the Carsey/Werner products, so I don't know if there are other shows that have been released on DVD, that may not include syndication cuts.

But with 3rd Rock also turning out to have syndication cuts, it seems to be more than a coincidence. Is Carsey/Werner withholding the originals? And maybe the bigger question... WHY?!?!?!?!

I had no desire to buy Roseanne or Cosby, but 3rd Rock WAS high on my wish list.

John*P

Second Unit

Me too. Apparently not producers Marcy Carsey and Tom Werner...

BTW, the first 2 seasons of That '70s Show (a Carsey-Werner production) have, I believe, been released uncut length-wise. There are some music alterations, however. I'm hoping Grounded for Life (the last good C-W sitcom) will be uncut, but I'm not holding my breath at this point...

BTW, I bought 3rd Rock: Season 1 under the impression that the episodes would be uncut. (it even says "full-length episodes" right on the back of the box) Apparently I was wrong, and am now unsure if I want to buy subsequent seasons or not...

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael

Along with the fact that the Roseanne box (and magazine ads) say "Complete First Season", this isn't just fans being screwed, it's false advertising. It's illegal.

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor

If the box states "full-length episodes" and they're not, I'd go back to the store and wouldn't be returning home without my money. Unless I was willing to live with the cut episodes of course. Fortunately I haven't had to deal with syndicated episodes (so far).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks