What's new

Google to offer free e-mail service with 1 GB of storage space (1 Viewer)

Don Black

Screenwriter
There are ways of advertising without invading privacy. Yahoo and Hotmail both show ads next to e-mail. They don't target the ads based on the content of the e-mail though.

And since Google is already overly-eager when it comes to censoring search results (e.g., Scientology), I would trust Google with my personal information about as much as I trust eBay to protect me from auction fraud.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
very true. as long as junk mail, popups, or phone calls (or identity theft risks) dont increase on my end, i say use my info for advertising purposes all you want. i'm not going to buy anything that i see in an ad anyway, so i dont see the difference. but if the gmail service is only marginally better than yahoo, i would probably abandon it.

CJ

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
q]There are ways of advertising without invading privacy[/q]

Don - so true, but is internet e-mail really "private" ?

And..the beauty of it is, no one is coercing you to use google (or hotmail, yahoo or e-mail in general).

I personally never would use a free e-mail service for these exact reasons. If it's free, you have no redress in a conflict... I mean, what can you really expect from a free ride ?

If your privacy is valuable, then pay for secure storage. But for the yearning masses just looking to store a ton of crap for "free", this appears a decent solution.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Thanks to Gmail, Yahoo! has recently upgraded their premium service to include 2GB of storage, and this fall, Hotmail will also give members 2GB of storage, but it's not yet clear if it will be offered for free or not.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Thanks to Gmail, Yahoo! has recently upgraded their premium service to include 2GB of storage, and this fall, Hotmail will also give members 2GB of storage, but it's not yet clear if it will be offered for free or not.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Yahoo offers 100MB for free and Hotmail is now offering 250MB for free. Both offer 2GB for a fee (around $20/month)

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Yahoo offers 100MB for free and Hotmail is now offering 250MB for free. Both offer 2GB for a fee (around $20/month)

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
I still see my hotmail account restricted to 2 mb (I don't believe the upgrade will happen until later in July). However, my free Yahoo account has been upgraded to 100 mb.

Even better, once the Hotmail upgrade goes through, I'll be able to send up to 10mb attachments. I cannot see what limit is currently in place for upgraded, free Yahoo accounts. EDIT: I see it's 10mb attachments for Yahoo too.

Competition is very good.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
I still see my hotmail account restricted to 2 mb (I don't believe the upgrade will happen until later in July). However, my free Yahoo account has been upgraded to 100 mb.

Even better, once the Hotmail upgrade goes through, I'll be able to send up to 10mb attachments. I cannot see what limit is currently in place for upgraded, free Yahoo accounts. EDIT: I see it's 10mb attachments for Yahoo too.

Competition is very good.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
One year later, and now there's a counter on the main page noting the gradual increase of space. Storage is increased to 2GB+ for everyone. :emoji_thumbsup:

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
They also introduced GoogleGulp, which will change the way you drink forever. Their FAQ is particularly revealing for their plans for the future, and the privacy policy is certainly reassuring.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member

:confused: I don't get it.

EDIT: Oh.. wait HERE it is... haha. The link above didn't work.. that's why I didn't get it.

I love this time of year. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks