What's new

Google S and Gingerbread official (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Hmmm, Samsung S based and not sold direct by Google. Not on Verizon. Hmmm

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/12/introducing-nexus-s-with-gingerbread.html

http://techcrunch.com/2010/12/06/google-nexus-s-review/

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
New SDK:

http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2010/12/android-23-platform-and-updated-sdk.html

re: the above articles:

"Over 100 Android devices"... How do you (where by you I mean my mom who doesnt know an android from a cyborg) tell which ones suck and which ones don't?

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I am sure that carriers are going to strip out the VOIP and Portable Wi-Fi Hotspot that doesn't require additional carrier fees.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Is it like the original Nexus, where you could buy it at any carrier you wanted, as long as it was T-Mobile? Or is it sold broadly this time?

Is the screen actually curved? Or is that an illusion from the body shape / marketing hype? That would be a curious design choice.

Will the new 2.3 available for all Android phones?

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Right now it will be only on T Mobile. It comes unlocked so I imagine it could work on any GSM network.

Yes, the screen is curved to curve with your face when you told it up to talk.

I haven't heard anything about 2.3 being available on any other released phone but who knows what

the New Year will bring.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
One complication with the unlocked phone is that while you can get EDGE on AT&T, you can't get 3G.

As for getting 2.3 on other phones, the answer is "soonish" to "never (officially, maybe someone while hack one together)" -- the same answer for every version, since the carriers add their own "enhancements" to the base OS, on their own schedules. The price of freedom.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I like the curved form factor idea (as I've always disliked having a large flat screen up against the side of my face) although it probably won't be curved enough to make a big diff me thinks -- and of course, I'm assuming the curvature doesn't negatively impact anything else.

RE: upgrading existing phones to 2.3 OS, yeah, not much freedom there unless you're going to root your phone I guess...

_Man_

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Originally Posted by Ken Chan

One complication with the unlocked phone is that while you can get EDGE on AT&T, you can't get 3G.

Actually, that's a limitation of the on-board radios since AT&T and TMo use different frequencies for 3G. If the Nexus S has the right collection of antennas, it could get 3G with an AT&T SIM. If you buy a TMo phone, it typically won't have the ability to tune in the AT&T 3G freq, but I don't know the story with this phone.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Why is the Nexus S only on T-Mo? I've got nothing against T-Mobile, but isn't it the fourth-largest carrier in the US? What does Google release its flagship, Android-defining phone on the smallest network in the US? If it's for GSM world-compatibility, why not go with the #2 network AT&T? (Being EDGE-compatible on AT&T is better than a poke in the eye, but only just barely.)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Maybe AT&T's rep sucks *THAT* bad for Google/Samsung to prefer T-Mobile for a product launch of this type.

_Man_

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
TMo was the carrier for the Nexus One, so there's an existing relationship between Google and that carrier. At that time, AT&T was an iPhone shop and not the greatest choice to partner with Google's dev phone. Obviously, you can't have an unlocked CDMA phone, so Verizon and Sprint were out of the question. Which is probably the reason Google settled with TMo in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks