What's new

Google Officially Launches "Fi" Cellular Service - Are You Interested? (1 Viewer)

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
We've all seen rumors floating around for the last couple of months that Google was looking to get into the carrier game, and today that became official. Utilizing a combination of T-Mobile and Sprint's networks, Google's Fi service starts at $20 for unlimited talk and text within CONUS, and unlimited international texting. Data is $10/GB and caps out at 8GB per month at the moment.

Here's the Google Blog post detailing the launch, and here is the plan page if you want to sign up for an invite.

I'd love to hear what our members think about this.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
The only way that I would consider paying $600 for a phone is if the service was dirt cheap. I currently have a $100 phone and pay $60 a month for unlimited talk text and 20GB of data, so switching to Google wouldn't save me any money. They would have to cut the price of the phone and the service significantly to get me interested.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Carl,

A good point. I think the real compelling push will be when a sequel to something like the OnePlus One comes out that supports Fi. That would be likely in Q3, and would retail for $299. When you can get a new phone for 299 and pay 30/month with no contract, that's pretty compelling!

I also think it's just a matter of time before Google drops data rates. Right now they are reselling T-mobile and Sprint data, but give them a couple of years and I think they'll find a way to undercut everyone.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Looking at T-mobile service, 3GB of data is $60 per month vs $50 for Fi but T-mobile gives you free audio streaming for many popular services. At 5GB per month, the cost is the same.

One nice thing about Fi, some people could probably get by using no cell data (wifi phone) and that would be only $20 per month.

From a coverage standpoint, I wonder how much a benefit there is in combining T-Mobile and Sprint? I did a quick look at their maps in my area and it looks like a lot of overlap.

It will be interesting to see how they develop this.

-Keith

macfan601

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
I'll stick with my Android Tracfone (Samsung Galaxy) that rides on the Verizon network. I have never paid more then $100 for an entire year of service. Coverage is great. Customer Service is great as long as you only use the Miami U.S. headquarters office. The best thing is it works great with the Uconnect electronics in my 2014 Jeep Cherokee which is more than I can say about any flavor of iPhone. I have less then $100 invested in the smartphone and all of the accessories.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I'm happy with my Tmobile plan. 100 talk minutes (plenty for me), unlimted text, and 5 gb data for 30 bucks.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I have several friends that have either a Nexus 5x or 6p and they all use and love Fi. They all
use the majority of their data usage over WiFi and end up spending on average $25/month.
I am hoping that Google will set up something so that it can be used with other cellphones than
just the Nexus line. Don't get me wrong I think the Nexus phones are great I am just looking
to buy a Nextbit Robin when it is finally released.

Parker

Users who are viewing this thread