1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Google Chrome Netbook owners and users thread

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones / Entertainment' started by Sam Posten, Dec 9, 2010.

1. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Ars reviews the first retail Chromebook
    http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/reviews/2011/07/ars-reviews-the-samsung-series-5-chromebook.ars

I'm surprised, as I thought there were a number of Chromebooks already available, but they say this is the first actual retail model.

2. blueing

blueing New Member

3. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I'm giving this thread a bump as the next round of Chromebooks have been out for a bit at lower price point, the primary one being the Samsung at $250 and an Asus for $200. Do opinions about the Chromebook concept remain? Ars' review of the Samsung was positive. http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/11/review-samsungs-new-arm-chromebook-gets-by-without-intel-inside/

4. Hanson

Hanson Well-Known Member

Hanson
    I played around with the ARM Chromebook, and was pretty impressed. If I had any need for a laptop, I'd definitely reach for one of these instead of a Windows laptop. $250 is actually an amazing price. And while it doesn't run everything, it runs more than enough to be worth the $250. If I really need to work on a Windows desktop, there's always remote desktop (although the Chrome version seems to have a non-configurable resolution and color depth).

5. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    My free one still sits around unused despite having free unlimited 3G.

6. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Next gen leaks! http://techcrunch.com/2013/02/06/googles-supposed-chromebook-pixel-and-its-touch-display-stars-in-leaked-video/

7. Hanson

Hanson Well-Known Member

Hanson
    A lot of people think that's just a fan mock up and not a real device. That said, I kind of question what the point of it is. It looks like it will cost at least $500, but the real value in Chromebook is the sub $300 price tag. Knowing Google, they'll under-produce these and completely sell out (if in fact this is a real thing). Limited use laptop for $250 is one thing. Limited use for $500? What's the point? Is there even any software for Chromebook that can take advantage of that resolution? Do you even need a touchscreen for editing docs or surfing the net? I really like the ARM based Samsung Chromebook, but not enough to get it. But make the same form factor with a 9 hour battery life and I'm on it for $250. Even if I don't really need it. I think it's interesting that Google is staying with Apple's laptop OS =/= Tablet OS philosophy even as people clamor for an Androidbook. And judging by the utter failure of Windows 8, I think it's the right way to go. Touch OS and Keyboard/Mouse OS interfaces glued together are a hell of a mess.

8. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    It's real, and it's priced by morons... http://chrome.blogspot.com/2013/02/the-chromebook-pixel-for-whats-next.html

9. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Well, I guess the good thing about the pricing is once these things don't sell, we'll see them at their REAL price in six months.

10. Hanson

Hanson Well-Known Member

Hanson
    They probably made a very limited run of these. I'm sure they will sell out. For people who do want/need the 1TB cloud storage, it's actually a huge bargain.

11. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
  12. Hanson

Hanson Well-Known Member

Hanson
    2X has their remote desktop app in the Chrome store now. This is a real RDP client and works with any MS RDP host.