What's new

Goodfellas SE (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
The site has cool tidbits on Goodfellas, The Right Stuff, Robin Hood, and Matrix.

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
It has been at least three months since I last posted this. I need this disc. Only word I've heard is from the Warner's chat and they only said "they were excited about it."

If the only hold up is getting Robert DeNiro's commentary, then (as much as I would like to hear it) skip it and get it out - assuming Marty's commentary has been recorded.

Who's with me?

-Reagan

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
No. There has been NO offical word whatsoever by Warner as far as when the DVDs may be released: the last HTF-Warner chat yieled the response of "no official release date" and I get the feeling that we may not see this, and the other Warner-Scorsese DVDs until early 2004. The same goes for Blade Runner.
I wouldn't expect a pre-Christmas release. By late July, Warner will probably release their last PR for 2003, taking them up to December and then after that they have their January AOL DVDs, as far as their catalogue releases go. I hope they take the required time in getting the Scorsese DVDs right, as after the criticism of Giant, The Right Stuff etc, the last thing you'd want is anything less than all-round brilliance for these films! :D
Gordy

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
Gordon,

You're right in that we want it done right, especially with regard to sound and pic quality. But given the time this one has been "in production", it seems like there has been ample opportunity to do it right and we're stuck in a holding pattern related to supplements. That's just my take.

I mean, I want it all. A+ sound and pic and supplements, but I'll settle for A+ sound and pic and B+ supplements.

-Reagan

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I don't think a commentary track with DeNiro would be that much of an addition anyway because the guy NEVER talks. I think a commentary by Scorcese alone would suffice and if the only reason this release is being held up is because of DeNiro's commentary, I say bag it and just put the DVD out ASAP. GoodFellas is hands down one of my top 5 favorite movies of all time and I'm really hoping they do it right with the SE release. It will obviously feature a better presentation than the original release in regards to picture and sound quality, but I'm hoping the supplements are worth the long wait as well. Maybe we'll hear something about this one soon.

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
I may be wrong, but I believe one of the reasons for the delay of the GoodFellas SE--along with one for Raging Bull AND the announced Scorsese box set--was because Scorsese was deep in postproduction on Gangs of New York, and WB wanted to wait until they had his full attention/cooperation before they released the DVD's.
But now that Scorsese is prepping The Aviator, we might have to wait even longer...

Estevan Lapena

Stunt Coordinator
Do you think there will be a Henry Hill commentary? I think that would be the best feature they could possibly have on this disk. DeNiro commentary, I could care less for.14

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
Do you think there will be a Henry Hill commentary? I think that would be the best feature they could possibly have on this disk. DeNiro commentary, I could care less for.14
You're in luck my friend. Henry Hill did indeed record a commentary track for the DVD some time ago. As for DeNiro... Forget it. He's as interesting as watching the grass grow. And since Ray Liotta plays the main character in the film, a commentary track with him would be so much better. Also, Ray Liotta is far more extroverted.

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
It would be cool to have Scorsese, Liotta and Pesci talk
on an audio track. As for De Niro- listen to the
commentary to MEET THE PARENTS. He doesn't offer any
information unless he is asked a question. That track
is one of the most worthless tracks recorded for a film.
The sooner a proper edition of GOODFELLAS is released,
the better.;)
I'm sure the Henry Hill track will be VERY interesting.

Tony Stark

Stunt Coordinator
For some unknown reason I have it in my "to buy" list on October 7, 2003. Of course, I cannot trace this back to any thread or newsgroup. But, I wouldnot have put it there if I didnot believe what I was reading at the time.

Update: I read it on DVDTalk from a thread the owner started. He clearly states it is a rumor and nothing else. Also, supposed to be a 2 disc set.

-T

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Henry Hill did indeed record a commentary track for the DVD some time ago.
Henry Hill even confirmed this some time ago when he called in to Howard Stern. I wonder if he was intoxicated while he was recorded (if you ever hear him on Stern, you know why I'm asking).

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
Still waiting for some word, some shred of hope that this will be out in the near future.

And yet, it seems that the original DVD release for Goodfellas is in the BB flyer once a month. So discouraging.

-Reagan

Real Name
Anthony
Manhola Dargis,critic for the L.A. Times, wrote this in her

Q & A column on 9/12:

Reader's Question:

Secondly, do you have a good contact at Warner Bros.? For more than three years now they have been telling the "home forums" of various DVD Web sites that they are working on special editions of "GoodFellas" and "Mean Streets" - yet there is still no sign of either of them. (The current DVD editions of both films are mediocre.) Apparently the hold-up is getting Scorsese to do commentaries. It would be great if you could find out what is going on?

--Ian Smit, Cape Town, South Africa

Her answer:

Meanwhile, here is what a Warner Bros. Home Video spokesperson had to say about the forthcoming DVD editions of "Mean Streets" and "GoodFellas." "The two titles in question will be part of a new Scorsese collection which Warner Home Video is planning on releasing in the second part of next year; some third quarter, others fourth quarter, but all before the end of '04. They will be newly mastered special editions when released."

This is taken from a thread at DVD Talk.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Jeez, that's basically a year away still. I had thought, from other posts, that we'd see it before the end of this year. :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks