What's new

Goodfellas SE (MERGED THREAD) (2 Viewers)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
This is great!

BTW, this will be a 2-disc set, so I'm looking forward to what supplements will be presented. The current transfer gives me a headache...

Carrol M

Stunt Coordinator
Mean Streets
Just wanted to confirm with anyone here if this will also get the Special Edition treatment around the time of GoodFellas, in 2002?
Anyone, Bueller, anyone?
Carrol

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
It's been mentioned before that Mean Streets will also be getting SE treatment. I would think they would release the two together, but I haven't heard anything specific.

Carrol M

Stunt Coordinator
It's been mentioned before that Mean Streets will also be getting SE treatment. I would think they would release the two together, but I haven't heard anything specific.
I didn't want to assume as much. I thought I remember reading that in the HTF chat from last year, but I didn't want to rely on my (sometimes) faulty memory, I wanted to ask. :)

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Hard to get really excited until there is a release date to slobber over...but, I am glad there has been progress all the same.

Bruce

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
GoodFellas is a title that would have been prime for Criterion to acquire the rights to. I would have loved if it they would have, but alas it's not to be.

Never the less, I'm very happy to read of the announcement. I hope Warner goes all out for this great film.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
We all suspected this was coming; great to see it's finally coming together! I don't know anyone who wouldn't upgrade this DVD! I'm guessing this SE will be loaded!! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Marty Lockstead

Second Unit
Speaking strictly from a marketing point of view, Warner might wait to re-release Mean Streets next yer in conjunction with its 30th anniversary. I would't be surprised if that is how it happens, in the meantime sign me up for the Goodfellas also!:D

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I don't know anyone who wouldn't upgrade this DVD!
I won't be "upgrading" because I never bought the original release as it was not an anamorphic transfer!
I will definitely be purchasing this one! Given Warner's recent reputation for giving us superb transfers, I am really looking forward to this one!
We are finally getting more of Scorsese's movies done right! :emoji_thumbsup:

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I'm getting this one definitely as well. Hey Seth Paxton, nice mug shot. Trying to compete with the rest of HTF folks? You've got a long way before obtaining the legendary status of Rain "The Nose God". :laugh:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I'm holding my breath in anticipation that Warner will release all of Scorcese's films when they release this SE. Please Warner, make it happen!
Well, my "inside source" tells me a few things, some good and some bad:
  • Remember the "Clint Eastwood Collection", the "Oliver North Collection", and the "Kubrick Collection"? Well, this is part of the "Scorcese Collection"! :emoji_thumbsup:
  • There are at present 2 listings in the database for the SE release: Goodfellas - Special Edition (Scorcese Collection) and Goodfellas - Special Edition (Scorcese Collection) (WS)! This is indicative of a dual-release...one widescreen and one fullframe! :eek:
  • No cover art or street date yet, or even verification to the number of discs in the set.
I'm not sure that Martin Scorcese will be fond of the idea of a fullframe version of ANY of his films running around on DVD. On the other hand, his Last Temptation of Christ is P&S-on-the-Fly, so I guess he's cool with it as long as OAR is represented in some manner.
Sigh.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Probably the best film of the 1990's, Goodfellas richly deserves a special edition, I will definitely fork out the necessary dosh for this baby.:emoji_thumbsup:

Michael*K

Screenwriter
As much as I love this film, I could never bring myself to purchase the original DVD because I was convinced that an SE would come out someday. This news makes me very :D
special edition as well
Amen!!! Please, please, please give this film its rightful due!!!

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would love to see a The Right Stuff special edition as well
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please give us THE RIGHT STUFF special edition Warner. Perhaps I'm being overly optimistic, but next year's the twentieth anniversary of Philip Kaufman's masterful film, one of the best of the 1980s. 2003=RIGHT STUFF 20th Anniversary Special Edition?
And while we're at it Warner, please release Kaufman's previous film, also a gem, THE WANDERERS. I'll be very happy with a plain ole OAR anamorphic release celebrating, oh, the 23rd anniversary. ;) The laserdisc also had a Kaufman commentary which would be nice to port over as well. I already own the laserdisc AND the VHS (in a beautiful clamshell case.) I don't know if THE WANDERERS is one of your "poor VHS sellers," but I will certainly purchase more than one DVD if that's what it takes (I've converted many fans.)
Jon
Jon:b

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Ah, I still don't know how to work all the inserts and signature options this wonderful forum offers. ;) :) :0

Matthew_S

Second Unit
Remember the "Clint Eastwood Collection", the "Oliver North Collection", and the "Kubrick Collection"? Well, this is part of the "Scorcese Collection"!
The Oliver North Collection? Wow, I never knew....Does it include the classics "Oliver North: Walk with Danger" and "Shred with Dishonor"?? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks