What's new

GoodFellas HD-DVD cropped to fit 16x9 HDTV? (1 Viewer)

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

I just leave it in the hands of the director and cinematographer who did the DVD transfer and or approved it. If it's okay with them ... it's okay with me.

Regards

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
this isn't directed at anyone...but I prefer to have the film in the correct aspect ratio. I'm running no more than half a percent of overscan with my projector so I see the two black bars for 1.85:1 films and know when it's been reformatted less than that or to 1.78:1. On my screen, the bars combined are about an inch and a half...not a whole lot, but it's the integity of it all...changing the intended ratio...

...besides, if not many people will see the difference, let us those who can have it correct.

Mike

Jace_A

Second Unit

DVD of course. And, as I said, if you had wanted to complain about this issue, you're about 9 years too late. Why weren't you doing this in 1997? You may have at least had a chance to correct the problem then (assuming it is a problem at all). This is not exactly a new issue and just because you only noticed on HD-DVD doesn't negate the fact that the practice is widespread and long-term.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
SD-DVD is a "subset" of DVD? SD-DVD IS DVD! Do you know what a "subset" is? HD DVD is not a "subset" of DVD. They do have A/V features in common as a "subset" would require, however HD DVD has A/V features that (SD) DVD does not. A "subset" contains only common features, not un-common features.
I knew OAR was a problem before 1997. Why do you say I just noticed it?
Is it because you confused my hope/desire to have the problems that were associated with DVD, not appear on HD on disc?
Read my post before you falsely post things you know about me.
Just because a practice is "long-term" on DVD does not mean it has to become a "long-term" practice on HD on disc. You are aware of that, I hope!

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Wouldn't it be great if it was just that easy; Director approved AR.
Just some people freaked about what Kubrick did with AR on DVD & some are not happy with what Coppola has allowed for AR on DVD.
So it is not it even that simple, unfortunately.

Someone also pointed out how varied a theater presentation can be. Which is correct. My definition of OAR was poorly worded. I should have said the "originally" intended aspect ratio. As I've seen films in theaters where the subtitles were completely cut off at the bottom of the screen!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks