What's new

Goodbye 3802, Hello Elite (1 Viewer)

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
Daniel:

This has been one of the most interesting findings about this receiver. When I had the HK 520 for 30 days, definitely the Logic 7 sounded beter than DPL2. But, I would never use DPL2 to listen to music on the HK. Now L7 sounded very good in listening to music but I still liked stereo mode a little better.

Now, stereo mode is great on the Pioneer - I think very similiar to the HK but this DP2 with the adjustments I talked about is much better - I can't beleive how good it sounds.

Basically, on the center width, you start out with a flat value and then you can adjust it up or down to your tastes. I put it all over the place and you can tell a huge difference - I ended up with the width set up a couple of points. The dimension adjustment is the same way and it adjusts the front versus rear sound volume. I set it to emphasize the front but kept just enough in to get some out of the rear. The panorama setting is just on or off. I like it and left it on. Its supposed to give you a wrap around feeling. Now you can still adjust each speaker manually for level in case your wondering in addition to these effects not using the OSD but while the music is playing.

I tell you, with the HI-Bit sampling on and these effects, the music was the best I've ever heard from my system. Definitely better than stereo mode and better than the L7 I had with the HK.

I tell you guys - the processing is absolutely the best on these Pioneers. I still am extremely excited by this receiver.

Mike

Josh_Z

Agent
Mike,

I will have to play with these modes. I wasn't even aware that they were adjustable. Thanks!

I used to have an older Citation processor that had 6 axis surround, which is basically the same as DPL2. They were adjustable in a similar manner.

The unit keeps sounding better and better by the day. I have never heard such smooth panning in my system and I have had some much more "reference quality" equipment.

2 Channel is good also. The sound stage is excellent.

My only dislike so far is the Virtual Surround Back. In my system it does nothing but boost the surrounds.

I have definetly cured the upgrade bug for audio, for a while.

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
Josh:

I really agree - I don't think I'll be needing a receiver for some time.

As for the SB operations, I don't have a 7.1 theater hoked up yet. I'm probably a month or two away. So, when I get there if I have questions - I may contact you.

How's the sound for movies in 7.1 - are you pleased? Are the flags for DD_EX and DTS_ES and THX Surround EX showing up? Are you forcing it into THX Surrond EX or is it automatic?

Thanks

Mike

Josh_Z

Agent
Mike,

I don't have the surround backs hooked up yet either. I am waiting to hopefully put up a front projector and rearrange the room.

The virtual surround back was the feature I was referring to. It makes the surrounds too much in my setup.

I will have them setup, hopefully, in about a month. Feel free to contact me with any questions. I do have some test discs that I will try with the EX flag. I will report back later on what I find.

Other than the Virtual surround back, everything works great! I like the unit more and more each day.

Josh

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
Ok Josh my mistake..........

I don't even know about this virtual SB thing. Tells you what I know. Seems like I'm always discovering new things about this receiver and I felt I read the manual.

So, how do I try it? I'm not at home now or I'd look it up. On a business trip.

Lets keep talking about this receiver. I too love it more everyday.

Mike

Josh_Z

Agent
Mike,

There is a button on the bottom of the remote that says something like VSB. Also when you choose a surround mode it will say for instance DPL2+VSB.

I think it sounds more realistic with it turned off.

I did some 2 channel listening today and must say that the soundstage is excellent. The soundstage is much wider than any of my previous products. This is of course true for surround sound also.

I did play with the DPL2 adjustments and the addition of Panorama helps. I also adjusted the center width. I am very impressed with it. Thanks for the heads up, the info was nowhere to be found in manual.

Josh

DanielSmi

Second Unit
The 45tx won't display the ex falg if it isn't there so It's not up to the 45tx it's up to the dvd manufactorers to include and when they do it will automatically detect the flag. Currently only Jurassic Park 3 and I think Atlantis are the only movies with the EX flag. Also does DTS Neo: 6 have the panoramic , etc settings that DPL 2 has. I like Neo: 6 better than DPL2 what do you guys think. Even for DPL 2 encoded sources.

Daniel Smith

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the info Josh!

I'll check it out when I get home.

Daniel:

I have only worked it on DPL2 haven't tried Neo:6. I think it only works with DPL2:Music Mode.

But, I'll check it out Wed or I'm sure Josh will soon.

Thanks Guys!

Mike

Josh_Z

Agent
Daniel,

No DTS Neo does not have the same adjustments. The only advantage is having a decoded back surround channel. DPL2 can be forced to have a back surround though.

Hope this helps

Josh

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
Dalton:

Check out the remote's little green writing. Hit receiver button then you can change the channel levels on the button right underneath it I believe.

Mike

David Judah

Screenwriter
The button that Mike mentioned is called EFFECT/CH SEL. Each time you press it, it goes to a different channel and then you press the + or - buttons right below that to change the value.

DJ

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Thanks guys. Can the channels levels be changed while a movie is playing without interrupting the sound?

Dalton

Brae

Supporting Actor
I actually stumbled upon this feature while watching Rush Hour 2 this evening on Starz (free Starz weekend). This was the FIRST opportunity that I managed to get my new speakers all hooked up with my new 45TX. WooHoo!

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Just an update on my experiences with the 45tx to date. I was able able to get the receiver to shut down again at at less than high volume levels(at least less volume than my Onkyo 797 ran at without problems). I received an Acurus 100x3 today that i bought here on the forum(Thanks Earle!). After i hooked it up to the 45tx and ran the Auto MCACC and re-calibrated, WOW what a difference. This thing is MORE than loud enough for me. Taking the load off the 45 by powering my front 3 speakers with the Acurus made a world of difference. Don't get me wrong, the 45 has enough power for most listeners I'm sure, but i like to really crank it! I highly recommend at least a 2 ch. amp for those who like to push their system. The surround processing on this receiver is great. The Auto MCACC was worth the price of the receiver alone. I couldn't have calibrated better with my spl meter. What a great feature. I wish Denon, Onkyo and some of the other manufacturers would add this feature. Well, back to the movies for now. I going to pop in the Matrix and let it rip!

Take Care,
Dalton

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
Dalton:

I have to agree with you - a seperate amp is in order if you really like to push your system - really for any receiver in this price range.

Also - the more I play with the MCACC the more I'm impressed. This setup and preocessing is fabulous.

Mike

Brae

Supporting Actor
I'll agree and especially if someone has those dang Paradigm Studio 100's!!! Talk about speakers that can eat a receiver like an appetizer!

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
Brae:
I think you might have a BEAR in your house masquerading as a couple of CATS!:D
Mike

David Judah

Screenwriter
I had a chance to open up a 45TX and also peruse the service manual briefly for those interested.
The transformer is average size for a receiver in that price range and there are two filter capacitors of 22,000 microfarads each. As has been mentioned, you can make a good case for having an external amp.
The ADCs and DACs are made by AKM. The ADCs are the AKM AK5380VT--info here. The DACs are AK4383VT--info here.
The two Motorola processors are DSPC56367 Symphony chips--infoLink Removed. I was kind of suprised they weren't using a lesser Motorola processor to save money, so I was glad to see they used top of the line in the Symphony family.
All in all, it looked good. There were no glaringly obvious places where they were cutting corners, and as most of us owners can attest, they have a very clean, slightly foward of neutral sonic character.
I really think for the sound quality and features the 45TX is a steal for the price.
DJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks