1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Good Photoshop Books?

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Julie K, May 9, 2004.

1. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

I'm having more fun with my new digital camera than should be allowed [​IMG]

I'm starting to play around more with Photoshop. Does anyone have any good recommendations for books? I'm especially interested in tips for unusual effects.

I did manage to do this today.

(Yeah, the world really needs another colorized phony B&W picture of a stupid flower. It's going to get one, anyway.)

2. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    If you go to a borders or other outlet that carries international magazines, the latest Digital Camera World comes with a nice free booklet that covers the major features of photoshop. Its a UK mag.

Sam

3. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
  4. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Adobe Photoshop 7.0 Studio Techniques by Ben Willmore is decent. It has a good share of proofing errors, which is annoying, but at least he has them documented on his site. Despite its flaws the book is helpful in explaining the nuts and bolts behind the functions in the program, for example what radius and threshhold actually control. Many tutorials I've come across just don't explain that and give some generalized starting point for settings with no explanation why. It's also the book that turned me onto using Curves, which up until then I just didn't understand.

5. JasonDNJ

JasonDNJ Extra

I recommend good-tutorials .com . It's updated hourly and there's also a search engine to look up whichever specific effects you'd like to learn.

6. Chris Moe

Chris Moe Screenwriter

How well do you know Photoshop? I find the Adobe Classroom In A Book series to be very good at getting an initial grasp on Photoshop. Knowing all the basics is much more important and powerful than just playing around with filters to make unusual effects.

7. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

I don't know it well but want to ramp up pretty quickly to the unusual stuff [​IMG]

Thanks for all the suggestions.

8. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I have Real World Photoshop. A very good book, because it focuses on theory and techniques for fixing up less-than-perfect digital photos (sharpening, resizing, layer masks, etc.). Also covers important topics such as color profiling and printing - particularly on print accuracy.

It's not the typical step-by-step book, as it also explains why a technique is used...

9. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

10. John K Carter

John K Carter Stunt Coordinator

11. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

I teach digital imaging, and use the Adobe Classroom in a Book as a text. It is an excellent book for beginning / intermediate Photoshop.

While many of the "tips and tricks" type books are interesting and show you some neat stuff, a "bottom up" tutorial book like the Classroom series gives you the knowledge you need to be proficient with Photoshop. I recommend using the "Classroom" book, along with a Google search for Photoshop tricks - mix up the nuts and bolts with the fun stuff to keep you interested.

-Scott