What's new

Good news about Walt Disney Treasures! (1 Viewer)

James Reader

Screenwriter
Just because it doesn't say Vault Disney on the box doesn't mean that the Vault Disney menu system will be dropped. I think it's likely this next wave of 'faux' Vault Disney titles (20,000 Leagues, Love Bug etc) will have the same menu system and perhaps later 2 disc sets will too.

After all, most of the design work as been done. It's certainly cheaper for Disney to rerender the existing menus with different graphical elements than to design and render a whole new menu system... for each release!

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I just think they blew it by not continuing the Vault Disney line. Branding appeals to the collector mentality (like mine) who will buy all of a certain brand to have a complete collection. Leaving these as generic SEs makes them far easier to pass on.

Ryan FB

Second Unit
Am I the only one who thinks there will be a significant increase in sales for wave 3?

Personally, I've never seen the WDT line advertised, I only found out about it online by going and looking for it. Now that I know about it, and know that it really will be next-to-impossible to get ahold of the titles I want at a reasonable price unless I get them as soon as possible (having seen what the first wave MM:ILC and Silly Symphonies sets are going for on eBay, and their complete lack of availability anywhere else), I'm definitely going to pick up any wave 3 titles as soon as I can. I procrastinated on picking up the wave 2 titles, and was barely able to get ahold of them all at retail (due to multiple online retailers lying about their stock of The Complete Goofy). Knowing these things (how impossible these titles become to get later on) will influence my decision to buy future WDT releases (as early as possible is my new motto). Anyone else think that this might happen on a larger scale, and they'll see increased sales on the third wave (at least as far as how quickly they sell, as these are limited production anyway)?

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> How about the "Hardy Boys" ... serials that were shown on the original Mickey Mouse Club?

I never heard of those. Are they cartoons or live action? How long is each episode?

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Isn't that the point of Walt DIsney Treasures? To release Cartoons uncut that normally wouldn't be appriciated by the main crowd...
Note that a few of them are cut. "Clock Cleaners" on the Mickey Mouse in Living Color set, and "The Three Little Pigs" on Silly Symphonies. Those changes are documented in other threads, so you can use the "search" feature to find more info.

Greg_D_R

Stunt Coordinator
They showed it (or at least part of it) on TV a few years ago. (I'm not sure when, but it was in either the 80's or 90's.) I don't remember it being "offensive". The cartoon is anti-Nazi, so I don't see why anyone would object to it.
I agree completely. I was fortunate enough to see it in a collection of un-pc or otherwise suppressed cartoons at the Grand Illusion theater in Seattle a few years back. It's not offensive at all to anyone with a brain, but therein lies the problem.

Paul_Nyman

Second Unit
Can anyone figure out why WDT stopped including a "Play All" feature on the menu screen? Now you have to play each one seperately!?!

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Can anyone figure out why WDT stopped including a "Play All" feature on the menu screen? Now you have to play each one seperately!?!
Yeah, this is my only gripe about the new Treasures collections.

Also, whatever happened to DR. SYN starring Patrick McGoohan?

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
December 3? That would be sweet, if true. The Donald Duck would be the rumored "Chronological" collection, I'd guess. MMILC2 would be the last of the color Mickeys, right? And of course the Wartime (or Warfare) set will just ROCK! :D I love the Treasures!

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
the only thing is there are only about 10-20 color mickeys left there are 30 or so black and white mickeys left, I'd think there'd be a black and white volume II

Adam

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
There were 28 Mickey Mouse shorts in the first MMILC which leaves about 19 for the second set. They could pad it out with the featurettes Prince and the Pauper and Mickey's Chistmas Carol. I'll certainly be getting all of these but Leonard Maltin indicated in an interview that there would be 4 titles altogether.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Where did you read that there would be four? The first wave had four, but the second only three (unfortunately).

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Any idea if there will be a second release of the first wave titles? Since I've never really known Disney to not do something that could make them money, I don't really understand why the limited run. Sure, they could do a limited run with the numbered tins, but how about a second run with just the discs?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
The second wave was originally annouced around this time last year as four titles (see my post above for the titles) then had 3 titles dropped and a 2 new ones added by the time DEc 6 rolled around. You would think they could put out more than 4, as there are at least 3 titles that would of been in production, and only one of those included in the above spec list (the wartime set).

I would imagine that after some time, we well see the wave one sets come out re-released without the fancy tins.

And I'd like to vote to have the play all feature re-instated in wave 3!

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
My guess is that they had to do more restoration work than they expected, which is why the two live action titles were dropped.

hmm so Mickey in Living Color Vol. II
Donald Duck (probably Vol. I)
Wartime Cartoons
????

there's been at least one live action title in each wave, so my guess is we'll get Tru Life Adventures or other vinatge documentary material. I'd love to see five or more treasures released :)

and there's still so much material left, a whole two more discs of Mickey (black and white shorts left), at least 2 more sets of Donald (unless they make it three disc sets), there are enough Silly Symphonies for a second set, there's enough Pluto for a complete set there, and there are enough one shot animations and minor characters like chip and dale and ludwig to make another set or two, and this is just the animation! Hopefully these sets will be around through Wave TEN, at least :D (I know I"m greedy but these are some of my favorite DVDs ever)

Adam

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'd expect we well see a bunch of Pluto in the MMILC set 2, so as to fill it out.

Phil Dally

Stunt Coordinator
I remember watching Disney about National parks, and wild animals. It'd be great for the kids to see what the parks used to look like before commercialization.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks