What's new

Good news about Walt Disney Treasures! (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Jones

Stunt Coordinator
I hope the finally get to some of the True-Life adventures, Magic Highways, Man In Space, Song of the South, Darby O'Gill, Kidnapped, In Search of the Castaways, Johnny Tremain...okay, the list is pretty long. :D But, Disney has a GREAT back catalog.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
there are around 148 Donald Shorts
It's more like 120 I believe but certainly enough for 3 two disc sets. There were about 74 Silly Symphonies so we could have another set of those. Pluto could also hold a set on his own.

There were 6 True Life Adventure features and 7 True Life featurettes of about 25 minutes each. To issue all of those would take 3 or 4 two disc sets. There was also a theatrical documentary series called People and Places (Alaskan Eskimo, Siam, Men Against the Arctic plus 14 other titles) which would make an interesting collection or two. Disney also made a large number of commercial shorts such as "Building a Tire" made for Firestone which would be interesting to see as well as educational shorts and shorts made for the forces.

Eric Emma

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Eric H. Emma
I think Song of the SOuth is proberly the biggest title... and htey know it, it be perfect for walt disney treasures run since it a limited run.... I mean the day it hit stores it be sold out lol...

MarkBurton

Second Unit
I, for one, would like to see Donald Duck In Mathmagic Land, The Prince And The Pauper, The Wonderful World of Color (with Ludwig Von Drake), Mickey's Christmas Carol, Ben And Me and The Small One.

I love the Mini-Classics. I know most of them are from already released films like Make Mine Music, Fun and Fancy Free and The Adventures Of Ichabod and Mr. Toad. But many of them are not and I would like to see them find a home. Perhaps they could even add the The Martins and the Coys which was cut from the video release of Make Mine Music.

http://www.awn.com/mag/issue4.01/4.0...allanmake.php3

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I'd also like to see those Jiminy Cricket films from junior high (I'm no fool, no sirree, I'm going to live to be 103) :)

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Mickey's Christmas Carol is already on DVD. Unfortunately, the end credits and a few seconds of the opening are missing. It's on the first House of Mouse Christmas DVD.

A proper release would still be welcome. This was an Oscar-nominated short.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I doubt we'll get the MMC episodes anytime soon. Weren't the Mousketeers entirely edited out of the DISNEYLAND, USA set? Maybe some of them wanted hefty royalties or something. Did anyone find out the exact reason for the edit?

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
I guess this is good news. It seems pretty obvious, then, that most of the classic shorts will be available in "Treasures" eventually. There could be a "Complete Pluto" set with about 48 shorts, another MM in B&W, another MM in color, another Silly Symphonies and about three sets of Donald Duck shorts. Certain DD titles are rumored to be included in a "Wartime" set, so would those particular films also be included in a DD set or not? We don't know that yet. There are also a lot of commercial and educational shorts that could have historical value to fans.

I've got all seven treasures so far. Whether or not I will buy all the forthcoming sets (or just most of them) depends on how far Disney is going to "expand" this series "into new areas". A set of the "true-life adventures" series was rumored for the second wave. I'd like to get that one if it's ever released.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
The True life shorts were originally announced, as well as The Wartime Cartoons and MR. Syn:AKA The Scarecrow for the wave 2 releases. I would think that these would be sure bets for wave 3.

I would presume that they would split up the Donald shorts similarly as to what they did for the Micky shorts, which is to give us a chronological, but not complete set, so as to have a little from all eras. I would also think that if The Wartime set has Donald material, this would not be included in the Donald sets, as previously the Goofy cartoon "How to Ride a Horse" was excluded from the "Complete Goofy" due to its inclusion on a Disneyland episode in the "Behind the Scenes" set.

I'd like to put my vote in for a set of all the educational/commercial cartoons that they did. Man,I got a kick out of these in school! Maybe for a special feature they could run a second audio track that drowned the soundtrack with a loud, clacking projector, and garbled voices, just to make school presentation correct.

I don't think we will ever see Song of the South, unfortunately. I'd love to see a "Disney and Race" set, were we could view and have a study on the use of stereotypes in entertainment. Sounds like a rather educational Treasure to me...

And how about a set featuring those coyote shorts? I can not remember what the shorts were called, but I do remember a VHS of these in the early 80's, never to be released again.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I'm looking forward to certain possible releases in this series too. Mainly the ones I remember from when I was a kid ('60's).

OT, but vaguely related: this time I'm going to buy the ones I want (which is not all, so far) as soon as they come out, JIC. I have lately seen people buy ALL that a store has (except the "Behind the Scenes" one, and the tins with a tiny dent), dozens at once. With released units of 150k and 125k, they certainly aren't rare, not like people watch them once and toss 'em... The scourge of eBay...I say burn the speculators, and get them into the hands of people who appreciate them.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
One other thing I'm unclear on: on the first page of this thread, folks are talking about the VAULT DISNEY line as if it were a thing of the past. Are there no further releases planned under that banner?

Greg_D_R

Stunt Coordinator
I wonder if the wartime short that depicts Donald Duck having a nightmare of working in a Nazi munitions factory will see the light of day? Even though the satiric intent is obvious, and the history is important, I doubt that modern day sensibilities could handle Huey Dewey and Louie in brownshirts and swastika armbands.

Eric Emma

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Eric H. Emma
Isn't that the point of Walt DIsney Treasures? To release Cartoons uncut that normally wouldn't be appriciated by the main crowd...

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
One other thing I'm unclear on: on the first page of this thread, folks are talking about the VAULT DISNEY line as if it were a thing of the past. Are there no further releases planned under that banner?
It's gone. Releases that WERE going to be under that banner (like 20,000 Leagues) are not going to use that any more. We can only assume Disney killed it. Typical marketing decision.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I would presume that the all the wartime cartoons would be included in the wartime set, with Leonard Maltin yelling at us to remember the sensibilities of the time (see MMIBAW for numerous examples, as well as TCG).

The Coyote shorts were part of a south western series of cartoons that used to pop up on the World of Disney show, as well as that VHS. The titles completely escapes me. I don't know anything about this series, but it is definitely not Road Runner stuff. I remember that the old Walt Disney line of VHs releases had other animation houses works release under the banner (Lucky Luke being one of them), maybe this is the case. Can any experts out there help me out on this one?

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I'm going to miss the Vault Disney line. I loved it. The menus were terrific, very creative - I'd even say nostalgic. I like the contents of the Walt Disney Treasures titles, and even the opening with the curtains. But the menus are absolutely horrible IMO. Not an ounce of creativity.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks