What's new

Good News about Complete Bob Newhart Show (see Post 90) (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
^Same here. Worst case it doesn't come out. Since amazon doesn't charge your CC 'til a product ships there's no risk involved.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Pre-ordered both volumes. Very glad to see this!
Why are we posting in a thread called "possible bad news" when this is such good news. Maybe the thread title should be changed to "possible good news".

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Not sure this is the best thread to mention this in, but the search function here is terrible. :rolleyes: This seems to be the most recent Bob Newhart thread.
Looks like the somewhat obscure "Bob" is getting a complete series release before the last 2 volumes of "The Bob Newhart Show".
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Bob-The-Complete-Series/16391
Good news I guess, but Seasons 5 and 6 of Bob Newhart Show releases were mentioned last year and still show as pending at Amazon.
Can't believe CBS is releasing this obscure show ("Bob") while Fox is sitting on 2 volumes of an infinitely more popular series ("The Bob Newhart Show").

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
What's even worse than 2 seasons out of 6 missing from the Bob Newhart Show is the fact that Newhart is stalled after just a single release.
Why FOX stopped after one is a mystery to me, especially since the later seasons were the most popular ones (A sentiment I actually don't share, I enjoyed season 1 much more than the later seasons and was sad to see Kirk and Leslie disappear).
I wish an independent like Shout could get a crack at Newhart. I bet it would be a success for them.

classictvfan91

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian Hayden
I wrote to James Finn from Fox Home Entertainment about Seasons 5/6 of The Bob Newhart Show, and here is his answer:
"Thanks for your continued interest. We are actually in talks with the studio on it. I can’t give a date at this time yet (as I don’t know it) but rest assured it will come out on DVD. Feel free to follow our twitter handle for updates @foxhomeent"

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
classictvfan91 said:
I wrote to James Finn from Fox Home Entertainment about Seasons 5/6 of The Bob Newhart Show, and here is his answer:
"Thanks for your continued interest. We are actually in talks with the studio on it. I can’t give a date at this time yet (as I don’t know it) but rest assured it will come out on DVD. Feel free to follow our twitter handle for updates @foxhomeent"
Congradulations on getting a response. It can be frustrating, but if you throw your bait into the water enough times you may catch something.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
If Fox frees from captivity, Bob Newhart, The Big Valley and Burke's Law (by letting VCI finish the latter) then I will be content forever with all things possible from this studio and anything else will just be icing on the cake.

classictvfan91

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian Hayden
James Finn says that they (Fox) are also in active talks about more season sets of the 1980s "Newhart".

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
I sure hope by studio, you mean Shout. Because there's no way Fox and Sony is actually gonna finish those respective shows. At least until whatever Shout has released is now officially out-of-print.

Finn

Insider
Real Name
James Finn
We are in talks about bringing seasons 5 and 6 out. While I don't have final, final confirmation or a date yet I did want to just let you know that you can turn that frown upside down. Thanks again to all the fans out there for their drive and passion to see this through (and tweets)

classictvfan91

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian Hayden
Here are my suggestions for special features:
Bob Newhart and the rest of the surviving cast should be involved in the special features.
For the Season 6 set, additional TV appearances from the cast should be included as special features.
Here is a list of those appearances:
"St. Elsewhere" (November 1985): Mr. Carlin from The Bob Newhart Show appears here.
"ALF" (1987): Bill Daily (Howard) and Mr. Carlin appear.
Newhart (1988): Mr. Carlin appears, Dick (Bob Newhart) thinks he recognizes him, Mr. Carlin's therapist tells Dick that she is trying to undo the "work of a quack in Chicago" (as in Bob Hartley, of course).
The Bob Newhart Show "20th" Anniversary Special (1991, with a new introduction from Bob Newhart).
"Bob" (1992): Jerry Robinson (Peter Bonerz) appears.
"Murphy Brown" (March 14, 1994): Bob and Carol appear.
"Saturday Night Live" (February 11, 1995): Bob appears in two sketches.
1996 MTV Movie Awards: Bob, Bill, Jack Riley, and Peter Bonerz appear in a spoof of "Braveheart".
"George and Leo": The Cameo Episode (1997).
CBS at 75 (2003): Bob and Emily introduce a section on legendary comedians.
Nick at Nite and TV Land promos should also be included.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Sort of off-topic but whenever the last "Newhart" episode makes it to DVD, they need to restore the original tag which had the old Bob Newhart Show theme after Bob and Emily turn out the lights. This was only used on the original CBS airing, and all syndicated repeats instead just use the regular "Newhart" theme after Bob turns out the lights.
Loved the "19th Anniversary Special" but it would have been great if Tom Poston had shown up as "The Peeper" and Bob then flipped out thinking it was that crazy handyman from the dream! :D

LSATslave

Auditioning
Real Name
Hayley
If they're for real about releasing these DVD's, I really hope that they remember to do some kind of tribute to Suzanne in the special features section. It would be really fitting considering that she was such a big part of the show, and also participated in the DVD commentaries for seasons 1-4.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
rmw650 said:
James, that is wonderful news! Please keep us all updated and posted as to when we can expect these last two seasons to come out and hoping you guys can work on getting Season 5 of Rhoda out and Mad About You S6 & S7. Appreciate the news.
Mad About You is a Sony show and not Fox. Currently Shout Factory has the distribution rights to Mad About You and after the low sales on season 5 they have stated more than once that the final seasons will not be coming out anytime soon if ever.
As for Rhoda season 5, that is also Shout Factory. I think their negotiations with Fox fell through and they are unable to secure licensing for the final season of Rhoda.
rmw650 said:
I'm just hoping it gets released soon as they made these announcements a year or so ago and we're still wondering what's up here? Same applies to The Muppet Show S4 too.
Muppet Show is Disney and not Fox. Again, James nor Fox have anything to do with The Muppets. I've been to Muppet Central the official Muppet site and there is no news on Season 4. More than likely music clearances are keeping this from happening. Or George Lucas is playing hard ball about the episode with the Star Wars characters in it. It's obvious that something really big is keeping this from being released or it would have been released by now.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
rmw650 said:
Oops, should have realized that those other shows I mentioned were licensed by other studios...my fault and thanks for the clarification Brian.
No problem. All of those shows are on my list that I want completed too. So I tend to keep up with any news on them.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I'm finally getting to see the 5th and 6th season episodes airing now on MeTV. I haven't seen these episodes in ages! Bring them to DVD please!

Sky Captain

Second Unit
Real Name
Neville Ross
HenryDuBrow said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_B! the companies expect way too much. Bob Newhart Show is not going to make the type of profit The Simpsons does, I don't see how Fox can't grasp that
Absolutely spot on. I've said it before, but I'll gladly say it again; the studios are going about releasing their TV shows, in the totally wrong fashion. They need to see TV shows like they see their movies, something they put out no matter what the expectations. How many copies, did the expect to sell of lesser known movies like "Night Train To Paris" (1964 Leslie Nielsen thriller) or "The Star Chamber" (1983 Michael Douglas thriller)? Great movies, I have them both, but there were no advance numbers telling them how well they'd do (they're hardly sellers in the millions) and yet they've been released. And similar films were, and continue to be, released. If only they'd lower their expectations with TV shows, much would be alright. Why should television shows be treated differently than feature films, with often unrealistic demands, it only makes my hair gray too soon.
htf_images_smilies_frown.gif
Most of those movies haven't been seen for a while on DVD, and are now in the cutout bins because they didn't see in big numbers (of course, if they were promoted like current releases, then they would sell...)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks